Premium
join:2007-10-02
Bowmanville, ON
Reviews:
·Distributel Cable

1 edit
reply to Westacular

Re: IPv6 beta

Actually I was thinking about that this morning and I switched the router DNS settings from OpenDNS to TekSavvy's own DNS servers and my score changed from 9/10 to 10/10. It appears that the OpenDNS servers don't respond to IPv6 calls. So there you have it, you can't use the OpenDNS service with IPv6 or at least not yet.

EDIT: After a retest I was still scoring 9/10 so I set my IPv4 DNS servers on the router to 206.248.154.170 & 74.82.42.42. Now its 10/10 again. We'll see how it goes.

Westacular

join:2007-08-28
reply to shwatkin

said by shwatkin:

Using the above settings I scored 10/10 and 9/10. Good luck.

... which test failed, and what OS / browser were you using? Usually anyone with working native IPv6 scores 10/10 for both.

shwatkin
Premium
join:2007-10-02
Bowmanville, ON
Reviews:
·Distributel Cable

1 edit
reply to TSI Gabe

A quick walk through for anyone with a D-Link DIR-655 rev. B1. First off, upgrade your firmware to version 2.01.

Then use these settings under Advanced/IPV6

My IPv6 Connection is: PPPoE
PPPoE Session: Share with IPv4
Address Mode: Static Mode
IP Address: 2607:f2c0:blah:4200::1 (your assigned /56 address)
Use the following DNS address: checked
Primary DNS Address: 2607:f2c0::1
Secondary DNS Address: 2607:f2c0::2
Enable DHCP-PD: unchecked
LAN IPv6 Address: 2607:f2c0:blah:1::1 (your assigned /64 address)
Enable automatic IPv6 address assignment: checked
Autoconfiguration Type: Stateless
IPv6 Address Lifetime: 1440

Takes a few minutes to come up but once it does you can test your connection at »test-ipv6.com/

Using the above settings I scored 10/10 and 9/10. Good luck.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to TSI Gabe

For anyone with a Netgear WNDR3700 router there is newer firmware (1.0.7.98) with IPv6 support... anyone want to try this with TSI's current setup?

»kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18632

Etobicoke, ON
reply to SStreak

said by SStreak:

I was wondering where I post to sign up for the ipv6 beta. I should meantion I have a sizable home network of 10 or so machines.

In the direct forum.

Also the number of systems is irrelevant for this and there are more than enough people testing with just as many and a whole lot more.

SStreak

join:2011-01-09
Roseneath, ON
reply to TSI Gabe

I was wondering where I post to sign up for the ipv6 beta. I should meantion I have a sizable home network of 10 or so machines.

daboom
Premium
join:2001-12-16
Oshawa, ON

1 edit
reply to TSI Gabe

Just so those that are using Pfsense 2.0 beta etc know this IPV6 setup now works with GUI etc even. Still working on a couple details and to start fresh to make sure I can repeat these steps.

Edit: Fresh Install and working great. Nice having a GUI to setup the port forwards etc.
--
Come join us on EFNET irc.teksavvy.ca #teksavvy for live chat
Java Chat back online @ »teksavvy.kicks-ass.net

dandin1

join:2008-05-27
reply to tprince

Not yet, but you can work around that with an extra PPPoE tunnel that uses your static-IP account.

•First, add a line to pppd's pap-secrets with your @hsiservice.net account info.
    •Modify your IPv6 ppp peer file to prevent it from acquiring an IPv4 address. You can do this by remove "defaultroute".
    •Connect both ppp sessions! I don't think the order matters, but I start with the IPv4 one.

On Tomato, things are a bit more fragile because of its rigid environment. Modifying files will not do! You will have to configure scripts to run when the WAN connects. Scripts can be modified from the "Administration" sub-menu. Something like:

echo \"USERNAME@hsiservice.net\" \* \"PASSWORD\" \* >> /etc/ppp/pap-secrets

cat > /etc/ppp/peers/spppoe EOF
user 'USERNAME@hsiservice.net'
hide-password
nobsdcomp
nodeflate
lock
noauth
plugin rp-pppoe.so
br1
mtu 1492
mru 1492
noip
usepeerdns
lcp-echo-interval 5
lcp-echo-failure 12
maxfail 1
nodetach
holdoff '30'
EOF

redial spppoe &

=====

You would configure the tomato UI to connect with your static IPv4 account, then have it run that script when it connects. The peer file (in my example "spppoe") must start with an 's', which is a Tomato/MLPPP-specific hack to allow multiple PPPoE tunnels on the same interface.

SonicSam

join:2006-05-27
Ottawa, ON
reply to 34764170

Hm, does that means it is possible of taking an 8MB flash somehow? Or just that it should be able to, but they're restricting?

Etobicoke, ON
reply to tprince

said by tprince:

Is it possible to have our static IPv4 attached to an IPv6 account.

I have prodded about this a number of times. TSI is slacking off.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to SonicSam

said by SonicSam:

I am running a WRT160N v3, however the flash size must be under 4MB.

It's pathetic that vendors are still under spec'ing the hardware.

shighfield

join:2009-06-22
reply to SonicSam

My WRT160NL is making me insane. I've decided to just break down this weekend and haul an old P4 netvista out of mothballs and run pfsense on it. Will let you know how I make out. :0

SonicSam

join:2006-05-27
Ottawa, ON

2 edits
reply to TSI Gabe

Those toastman builds only have IPv6 support in the Ext build.

I am running a WRT160N v3, however the flash size must be under 4MB.

Any customs tomato builds under the standard size with IPv6?

I have "MIPSR2"

edit: In the odd case someone is reaaaaaaally nice and can compile one for me, I only need basic things.

Wifi, WPA2, IPv6 options and Port Forwarding, I can sacrifice everything else if it can bring the image down to 4MB.

If not I'll survive without IPv6 till I buy a newer router.

No idea how to compile it myself .

Etobicoke, ON
reply to rydells

said by rydells:

when the WRTs seems to be standing still on IPv6.

Hrmm?? Both OpenWRT and DD-WRT have support for IPv6.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to rydells

Oops nm

rydells

join:2010-10-08
reply to Westacular

I was indeed making it very complicated for myself
Thanks Westacular for the info and for your contributions to Tomato USB when the WRTs seems to be standing still on IPv6.

Westacular

join:2007-08-28
reply to rydells

rydells: I actually wrote a lot of the initial code for TomatoUSB's IPv6 config / ui, mostly back in November/December (but Teddy_Bear deserves a ton of credit for the further improvements/refinements to IPv6 made since then, among the great many other contributions he's made).

It's still a work in progress, which is why it hasn't been promoted widely in places like here (yet) -- the settings and their meaning is still subject to change! -- but it's been quite functional and stable for me over the past couple months.

You're actually making more trouble for yourself: just enter one of the prefixes TekSavvy assigned you (either the /56 or /64) and the prefix length (or enter 64, even for the /56; it doesn't matter much), leave "enable router advertisements" checked, and everything else should be fine.

For the Static DNS entries: TekSavvy doesn't seem to be running DNS servers at those IPv6 addresses currently, and you don't *need* IPv6-based DNS servers to lookup IPv6 addresses, so there's no need to fill in those DNS fields. If anything, you're best off leaving them blank, and adding "74.82.42.42" as a static DNS entry under the normal config.

The only reason you needed to script adding that route is because you've got the router using one prefix for its address, but advertising the other to the network (and it looks like you might've mixed up which is the /56 and which is the /64). It's easier just to choose one and stick to it.

If you leave the router address field blank, it will automatically give itself the address [user-entered prefix]::1

Suppose TekSavvy assigned you

2607:f2c0:f00a:bc00::/56
2607:f2c0:a000:1234::/64

You can just enter "2607:f2c0:f00a:bc00::" and "56" in the first two fields and hit save.

The router will:

-Give itself the address 2607:f2c0:f00a:bc00::1

-Accept connections via HTTP and SSH at 2607:f2c0:f00a:bc00::1 from the LAN and/or WAN, in accordance with your existing admin access settings. (This is in addition to accepting connections at its IPv4 address(es).)

-Advertise the prefix 2607:f2c0:f00a:bc00::/64 on the local network for stateless autoconfiguration. (Yes, it automatically increases the prefix length to 64, because that's a requirement for advertising autoconfig.)

-Perform stateful firewalling on WANLAN traffic (with sane default enabled settings, equivalent to the IPv4 defaults). There's an extra page under "Port Forwarding" to open up IPv6 ports in the firewall.

-Performs QoS, if enabled. The basic traffic settings apply to both IPv4 and IPv6 combined; the classification rules that have been set for IPv4 are also applied to IPv6 wherever possible. (Specifically: rules that reference IPv4 addresses or involve IPP2P or L7 modules get skipped.)

rydells

join:2010-10-08

1 edit
reply to TSI Gabe

I finally got IPv6 up and running on my Netgear WNR3500L router
using Tomato USB.
I've been struggling with DD-WRT a lot so I decided to post this for anyone in the same situation.

To get all the IPv6 goodness out of Tomato USB you will need to get an unofficial build (at least until build 55 arrives).

Toastman provides such builds here:
»toastman.dyndns.org/Toastman%20Builds/

and I got this particular one:
»toastman.dyndns.org/Toastman%20B···-Ext.trx

Put in your TekSavvy info like in the screenshot.

That's all there is to it.
Your clients should pick up an IP and be happy.

Please let me know if I've configured anything wrong

Post edited to reflect answer from Westacular

tprince

join:2008-06-26
Edmonton, AB
reply to TSI Gabe

Is it possible to have our static IPv4 attached to an IPv6 account.

robbat2
Premium
join:2010-02-24
Vancouver, BC
reply to TSI Gabe

Still no love for Western Canada? (Vancouver)

jerseyjoe123

join:2008-04-28
Picton, ON
reply to TSI Gabe

A question for TSI Gabe:

Any idea as to when you might have an update of the Tomato IPv6 binary that includes ip6tables? You mentioned back in June that it was next on your to-do list.

Thanks!

rhooper

join:2004-05-06
Ottawa, ON
reply to oxymoron69

test-ipv6.com is a nice site for checking your IPV6 readiness!
With TSI I get 10/10 on both IPV4 and IPV6.

oxymoron69

join:2004-11-10
Corbyville, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Kingston Online ..
reply to Taffer

Free binary ipv6 servers, there's two that I use:

newszilla6.xs4all.nl port 119, 3 connections, anonymous (no login req'd)

and
reader.ipv6.xsnews.nl port 119
it requires a free login that you obtain from their home page (thankfully, it's in dutch).

Both of these servers say they offer 30ish days of retention(in my experience I've gotten complete posts 100+ days old), and with their powers combined, saturate my downstream.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to Kev

said by Kev:

My webhost iweb.ca is starting to integrate IPv6 on their customer's dedicated server soon.

=D

I had been prodding them about this for awhile and they did have an alpha level service for colo and private rack customers. Took them long enough. Although I see they've now also turned up IPv6 with Level3 in addition to their existing TATA / TInet IPv6 transit.

Kev
TekSavvy.com
Premium
join:2005-06-12
canada
reply to TSI Gabe

My webhost iweb.ca is starting to integrate IPv6 on their customer's dedicated server soon.

=D

vanhaus

join:2009-11-11

1 edit
reply to TSI Gabe

--removed

Taffer

join:2010-09-08
Pickering, ON
reply to oxymoron69

Just set up my network for IPv6 (woo, now I'm part of the solution for the IPv4 problem!), seems to be working well. The Macs all picked up IPv6 addresses as soon as the router restarted.

Now, tell me more about these IPv6 USENET servers... I thought USENET was completely dead except for people paying for binary groups.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to Tack

said by Tack:

I neglected to mention I also have a static IP. TSI encouraged me to use a separate account in case something went wrong. I want to know if it's now considered safe to move my static IP to the IPv6-enabled account.

I've been prodding Marc and Gabe about this for awhile but they're really starting to get behind on dealing with this.

Tack

join:2007-10-23
Waterloo, ON
reply to 34764170

said by 34764170:

That has never been a requirement. The login you get is dual-stack. MLPPP has been supported the whole time. None of this is new.

I neglected to mention I also have a static IP. TSI encouraged me to use a separate account in case something went wrong. I want to know if it's now considered safe to move my static IP to the IPv6-enabled account.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to Tack

said by Tack:

Do we still need to be running a separate PPP session for IPv6? I know that early on it was kept separate to minimize risk. But it does seem fairly stable and it'd be nice to simplify some configuration, and also benefit from MLPPP on the IPv6 side as well.

That has never been a requirement. The login you get is dual-stack. MLPPP has been supported the whole time. None of this is new.