how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bthornhill

join:2004-05-10
reply to 34764170

Re: IPv6 beta

Yes, thats what I meant. I'm hoping that both devices will still maintain their IPv4 adddresses, because if it doesn't work, I need to be able to set the modem back to a router...

squircle

join:2009-06-23
Oakville, ON
They certainly will!

rpnc

join:2011-06-08
Markham, ON
reply to TSI Gabe
I replaced my D-Link DIR-825 running OpenWrt with the D-Link DIR-835. The DIR-835 works with the factory firmware and provides an IPv6 firewall. No more OpenWrt hassles for me.

rodjames
Premium
join:2010-06-19
Gloucester, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·loclhost.ca
reply to squircle
I have a Tp-Link 2543nd flashed with OpenWRT. Works great on IPV6, but I haven't bothered doing 6hcp *lol* I just do static address and have fun with it. I also contrib to the wiki for this model on the openwrt site.

»wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr2543nd

great router, not bad on price. Get this model not the 743 though, you'll thank me.

squircle

Oakville, ON
said by rodjames:

I have a Tp-Link 2543nd flashed with OpenWRT. Works great on IPV6, but I haven't bothered doing 6hcp *lol* I just do static address and have fun with it.

That implies there's an option other than static addressing right now...

bthornhill

1 recommendation

reply to TSI Gabe
Anybody had any success (or otherwise know of a problem with) using the ST516 modem in bridge mode with an Apple Airport Extreme router?

I'm done my research and am thinking this will be my dual-stack solution.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

1 recommendation

reply to squircle
said by squircle:

said by rodjames:

I have a Tp-Link 2543nd flashed with OpenWRT. Works great on IPV6, but I haven't bothered doing 6hcp *lol* I just do static address and have fun with it.

That implies there's an option other than static addressing right now...

On the WAN side.. yes. TSI is still dragging their feet on that.

rodjames
Premium
Gloucester, ON
reply to squircle
There is. You take the range they gave you and dole out your own ip6 dhcp leases. easy.

Etobicoke, ON
said by rodjames:

There is. You take the range they gave you and dole out your own ip6 dhcp leases. easy.

Or as the vast majority will use... use RA.

rodjames
Premium
Gloucester, ON
yeah, easy.

squircle

Oakville, ON

2 edits
reply to rodjames
said by rodjames:

Either you misunderstood me or I misunderstood you. What I was trying to say is that there isn't (edit: a currently implemented) way to automatically assign IPv6 ranges to CPE not that there isn't a way to automatically assign IPv6 addresses to clients behind IPv6-capable routers.

I'm sure most people use SLAAC over DHCPv6 for address assignment in their LAN (as 34764170 See Profile pointed out), but that still has to be manually configured. That's the point I was trying to make.

Etobicoke, ON

1 recommendation

said by squircle:

Either you misunderstood me or I misunderstood you. What I was trying to say is that there's no way to automatically assign IPv6 ranges to CPE not that there isn't a way to automatically assign IPv6 addresses to clients behind IPv6-capable routers.

Yes, TSI having DHCPv6-PD would allow for routers to be easily configured with minimal configuration by the user and it is relevant whether the user has a statically allocated /56 or one is allocated dynamically.

squircle

Oakville, ON
said by 34764170:

Yes, TSI having DHCPv6-PD would allow for routers to be easily configured with minimal configuration by the user and it is relevant whether the user has a statically allocated /56 or one is allocated dynamically.

Again, I've failed at saying what I mean to say. Post edited.

Etobicoke, ON
said by squircle:

said by 34764170:

Again, I've failed at saying what I mean to say. Post edited.

That's why I said having since it is not implemented yet and they have been dragging their feet to do things properly.

squircle

Oakville, ON
Glad we finally sorted that

I'm sure there are unique challenges in automatically assigning IPv6 ranges; I don't know that DHCP/v6 is particularly well suited to PPP* connections, but I don't know if there's a way to do block assignment through IPv6CP (reading RFC 5072 ATM). I'd assume that doing block assignment through IPv6CP would be preferred and easier to implement (piggyback off the existing IPCP configs), but I won't speak for Gabe.

Etobicoke, ON

1 edit
said by squircle:

I'm sure there are unique challenges in automatically assigning IPv6 ranges; I don't know that DHCP/v6 is particularly well suited to PPP* connections, but I don't know if there's a way to do block assignment through IPv6CP (reading RFC 5072 ATM). I'd assume that doing block assignment through IPv6CP would be preferred and easier to implement (piggyback off the existing IPCP configs), but I won't speak for Gabe.

IPv6CP is only involved with the link-local address and that's it; unlike IPv4 it's not even involved for the global unicast address which is the same as an IPv4 address. Address configuration is quite different with IPv4 vs IPv6 with PPP. If you take a look at Appendix A in that RFC you'll see that you have to use either RA or DHCPv6 to assign a global unicast address to the PPP/PPPoE interface and the only mechanism for propagating a prefix is DHCPv6-PD.

bthornhill

reply to TSI Gabe
Getting ready to change my DSL modem over to bridge mode....whats the VPI/VCI setting supposed to be?

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL
said by bthornhill:

Getting ready to change my DSL modem over to bridge mode....whats the VPI/VCI setting supposed to be?

If you have the modem combo set to handle the public IP, the same VPI/VCI settings that you are using - I would think.
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

TSI Keith
Premium
join:2012-07-09
kudos:5
reply to bthornhill
For ON/QC VPI/VCI = 0/35
AB/BC 0/33

bthornhill

1 edit
reply to TSI Gabe
(deleted)

bthornhill

4 edits
reply to TSI Gabe
downloadwan.tiff 50,608 bytes
WAN config menu
downloadLAN.tiff 92,884 bytes
LAN config menu
downloadsummary.tiff 146,084 bytes
Results Screen
OK, I'd like to do a quick check of my assumptions; I appreciate anyone who can affirm or correct me on the following:

On my Cisco RV180 router, I have selected a WAN connection type of DHCPv6. I assume this is correct because a key address (IPv6 default gateway) was not specified, so I cannot set up manually. I further assume that the link-local address indicated in the IP address field (fe80::a64c:11ff:feee:7b4d/64) is actually ppp0.

For my LAN configuration, I have entered 2607:f2c0:blah:blah::1 with a prefix length of 56. I have further defined DNS as 2607:f2c0::1 and enabled stateless DHCPv6 for the internal clients. I have also enable Router Advertisment in support of this. (note: in the attached screenshot, the first field actually ends in ::1 even though the field is too short to display it)

I have not defined any routes, IPv6 address pools or advertisement prefixes.

From what I can glean from the 27 pages of discussion here (presumably the only place for support even though the instructions are two years old), this is the correct thing to do, but none of my clients are picking up IPv6 addresses.

squircle

Oakville, ON
First, selecting DHCPv6 is wrong. In your WAN settings, the "WAN (Internet) Connection Type" should be set to "Static IPv6". Like you pointed out, you don't know your default gateway, but this is something that should be automatically determined by the router through IPv6CP during PPPoE negotiation. Also, instead of DHCPv6, you should use the built-in RADVD for prefix advertisements so clients can configure themselves (DHCPv6 support isn't nearly as ubiquitous as SLAAC).

Unfortunately, from reading all the documentation I could find on the RV180, it doesn't seem like it supports IPv6CP, so it doesn't look like you'll be able to use native IPv6 access with this router. Teksavvy has great routes to the HE tunnel servers, so that's probably your second-best option.

Sorry for the bad news. Try contacting Cisco and pressing for a firmware update that supports IPv6CP.

bthornhill

1 edit
Squircle, thanks for that, especially for taking the time to investigate the router. If Tek were to simply provide me with the default gateway address, would I not have all the info I need to get the WAN side running?

squircle

Oakville, ON
That's not something they can provide you with; it's dynamic and changes each time you resync. The only way to get it is through IPv6CP.

bthornhill

Cisco support suggested maybe a rule is blocking the config information from getting through (ICMPv6), but if this coming from the PPP negotiation, isn't that a layer below?

squircle

Oakville, ON
ICMPv6 doesn't have anything to do with the configuration; IPv6CP and ICMPv6 are two totally different things. The bottom line is this: if the RV180 doesn't support IPv6CP, you won't be able to use native IPv6 WAN over PPPoE. I am somewhat surprised that Cisco, purveyors of network innovation, don't support IPv6CP on all of their products, but it wouldn't be the first time the neglected to keep firmware up-to-date.

maximida

join:2013-01-13
reply to TSI Gabe
Hey guys I gotr my IPv6 info but am sort of confused as to how to put it into my router.

Running Tomato Toastman:

Service Type: Native IPv6 from ISP
Assigned / Routed Prefix:
Router IPv6 Address:
Static DNS:

I was given a /56 and a /64 . Currently I'm connecting through PPPoE in the router. What do I put? :P

jfayre8

join:2013-01-14
York, ON
reply to TSI Gabe
Hello,
Does anyone have a working config for a Mikrotik rb751U2HND router. I can get the PPP connection up, but I am not getting any addresses on machines on my local network. My pc is running Windows 8 and I believe I have set up the neighbor discovery on the router correctly. If I use the dhcp client, I can grab a prefix from teksavvy. From reading the forums though, it doesn't look like I am supposed to use dhcp. If my local machine does grab an ipv6 addresss, I do not get a default gateway.

rodjames
Premium
Gloucester, ON
reply to TSI Gabe
The prefix you're getting is probably a Global or Link address. You will need the /64 or /56 address space as assigned, and manually input the information into your devices or into your local dhcp6 service.

MrMazda86

join:2013-01-29
Kitchener, ON
reply to TSI Gabe
Just a funny of-the-wall question when it comes to the IPv6 beta testing program... I've been racking my brain trying to figure out how to configure mine with no success. Could this have anything to do with the fact that the D-Link DIR-615 (Rev E) has a built-in NAT that sucks the poodle's wet balls?

I know in the case of a Static IPv4 /29 Subnet, the DIR-615 will most definitely *NOT* work because there is absolutely no way in which to completely disable the NAT. I'm just wondering if I should save myself some time, disable DHCP on the DIR-615, then hard wire it from LAN port to LAN port to the Linksys WRT54G running on Tomato as to effectively limit my connection speed to 100Mbit VS 54Mbit for LAN connectivity.

Any thoughts that could save me a lot of frustrations?