uniqs
share rss forum feed

jerseyjoe123

join:2008-04-28
Picton, ON
reply to TSI Gabe

Re: IPv6 beta

A question for TSI Gabe:

Any idea as to when you might have an update of the Tomato IPv6 binary that includes ip6tables? You mentioned back in June that it was next on your to-do list.

Thanks!

rhooper

join:2004-05-06
Ottawa, ON
reply to oxymoron69
test-ipv6.com is a nice site for checking your IPV6 readiness!
With TSI I get 10/10 on both IPV4 and IPV6.

oxymoron69

join:2004-11-10
Corbyville, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Kingston Online ..
reply to Taffer
Free binary ipv6 servers, there's two that I use:

newszilla6.xs4all.nl port 119, 3 connections, anonymous (no login req'd)

and
reader.ipv6.xsnews.nl port 119
it requires a free login that you obtain from their home page (thankfully, it's in dutch).

Both of these servers say they offer 30ish days of retention(in my experience I've gotten complete posts 100+ days old), and with their powers combined, saturate my downstream.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to Kev
said by Kev:

My webhost iweb.ca is starting to integrate IPv6 on their customer's dedicated server soon.

=D

I had been prodding them about this for awhile and they did have an alpha level service for colo and private rack customers. Took them long enough. Although I see they've now also turned up IPv6 with Level3 in addition to their existing TATA / TInet IPv6 transit.

Kev
TekSavvy.com
Premium
join:2005-06-12
canada
reply to TSI Gabe
My webhost iweb.ca is starting to integrate IPv6 on their customer's dedicated server soon.

=D

vanhaus

join:2009-11-11

1 edit
reply to TSI Gabe
--removed

Taffer

join:2010-09-08
Pickering, ON
reply to oxymoron69
Just set up my network for IPv6 (woo, now I'm part of the solution for the IPv4 problem!), seems to be working well. The Macs all picked up IPv6 addresses as soon as the router restarted.

Now, tell me more about these IPv6 USENET servers... I thought USENET was completely dead except for people paying for binary groups.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to Tack
said by Tack:

I neglected to mention I also have a static IP. TSI encouraged me to use a separate account in case something went wrong. I want to know if it's now considered safe to move my static IP to the IPv6-enabled account.

I've been prodding Marc and Gabe about this for awhile but they're really starting to get behind on dealing with this.

Tack

join:2007-10-23
Waterloo, ON
reply to 34764170
said by 34764170:

That has never been a requirement. The login you get is dual-stack. MLPPP has been supported the whole time. None of this is new.

I neglected to mention I also have a static IP. TSI encouraged me to use a separate account in case something went wrong. I want to know if it's now considered safe to move my static IP to the IPv6-enabled account.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to Tack
said by Tack:

Do we still need to be running a separate PPP session for IPv6? I know that early on it was kept separate to minimize risk. But it does seem fairly stable and it'd be nice to simplify some configuration, and also benefit from MLPPP on the IPv6 side as well.

That has never been a requirement. The login you get is dual-stack. MLPPP has been supported the whole time. None of this is new.

Tack

join:2007-10-23
Waterloo, ON
reply to TSI Gabe
Do we still need to be running a separate PPP session for IPv6? I know that early on it was kept separate to minimize risk. But it does seem fairly stable and it'd be nice to simplify some configuration, and also benefit from MLPPP on the IPv6 side as well.

BonkersInc
King of Lalaland

join:2008-09-05
reply to wayner92
said by wayner92:

but what can I do better with IPv6 than with IPv4 or what is there that I couldn't do with IPv4?

- You can have a valid IP address that contains the word 'babe'
- You get a cute dancing turtle on kame.net

If you're expecting something new and exciting from IPv6, you will be disappointed. But, as IPv4 space becomes more scarce, some services are bound to go IPv6 only. For dorks like me, it's just another experience point to add to my resume.

wayner92

join:2006-01-17
Toronto, ON
reply to oxymoron69
Sorry guys but what are the practical benefits to using IPv6? I see the mention of tons more IP addresses, but what can I do better with IPv6 than with IPv4 or what is there that I couldn't do with IPv4?

oxymoron69

join:2004-11-10
Corbyville, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Kingston Online ..
reply to TSI Gabe
Setup my new wrt54gl with the firmware from here:
»Re: IPv6 beta

Now have full on mlppp & ipv6 support on my router, very nice.
The free ipv6 news servers work pretty damn well and max out my connection, awesome!

Etobicoke, ON
reply to InvalidError
said by InvalidError:

said by 34764170:

Rogers has not updated their infrastructure to handle IPv6 yet.
All DOC3 CMTS support IPv6 and most of the stuff upstream from there should have acquired IPv6 capabilities some 5+ years ago either via firmware upgrade or replacement. This late into the IPv6 game (the IPv6 migration was supposed to start a whole decade ago), the lack of IPv6 has more to do with being lazy (if it ain't broke, don't fix it - most consumer routers don't support it anyhow) than lack of hardware support from the carrier side of things.

Right now, I am downloading two torrents and between the ~200 peers I am connected to, I see only 5-6 IPv6 peers
I understand it is about being lazy and not about the hw support overall from Rogers perspective. As you mentioned the DOC3 CMTS support it and the DOC3 management requires IPv6 on the backend so it is their for the most part on Rogers infrastructure but its not exposed on the on the regular transit segments of their network to customers. I hope this changes next year though, the sooner the better.

I see similar numbers for torrent peers although some torrents do have quite a few more IPv6 peers.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to 34764170
said by 34764170:

All DOC3 CMTS support IPv6 and most of the stuff upstream from there should have acquired IPv6 capabilities some 5+ years ago either via firmware upgrade or replacement. This late into the IPv6 game (the IPv6 migration was supposed to start a whole decade ago), the lack of IPv6 has more to do with being lazy (if it ain't broke, don't fix it - most consumer routers don't support it anyhow) than lack of hardware support from the carrier side of things.

Right now, I am downloading two torrents and between the ~200 peers I am connected to, I see only 5-6 IPv6 peers

Shade00a00

join:2008-09-15
H2W
reply to TSI Jorge
Hey guys, is there a new build of tomato-mlppp with ipv6 that I could use? The fixppp.org site doesn't seem to have the latest version there.

TSI Jorge
TSI Jorge
Premium
join:2007-10-24

1 edit
reply to TSI Gabe
Removed post..posted in the wrong thread.

Jorge

Etobicoke, ON
reply to FiReSTaRT
said by FiReSTaRT:

Will there be any IPv6 testing on cable connections in the near future?

clusty

join:2009-05-15
Montreal, QC
reply to TSI Gabe
Any eta on some Tomato-ND with ipv6?

FiReSTaRT
Premium
join:2010-02-26
Canada
reply to vitesse
Will there be any IPv6 testing on cable connections in the near future?

vitesse

join:2002-12-17
Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu, QC
reply to TSI Gabe
Thanks.

I now use zeroshell/mlppp and have not configured ipv6 on it.

BonkersInc
King of Lalaland

join:2008-09-05
reply to vitesse
Your old login still works, so you can switch between them at will.

If you're using Tomato you can just leave your IPv6 address in the router and it won't harm anything.

vitesse

join:2002-12-17
Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu, QC
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
·voip.ms
·Bell Sympatico
·Videotron
reply to TSI Gabe
As I need a static IP i would like to go back with my IPV4 Login.

Can we simply go on our ipv4 login or Teksavvy need to change something on our config?

Will Teksavvy offer static ipv4 on the ipv6 package one day?
--
Connection: Teksavvy 12000/1600 in mlppp
Globaltuners.com Remotely controled Radio scanner

henry128

join:2010-09-03
Mississauga, ON
reply to smartel
Without any understanding of the ISP side of things, I would guess the routes are configured when the PPP link is brought up.

I don't see where the link-local address comes in. A route only needs the prefix and the outgoing interface, and doesn't need the link-local address...

bogusman

join:2010-09-10
Pointe-Calumet, QC
reply to TSI Gabe
Is still some place for IPv6?
I'm I in the correct forum?

Eric

smartel

join:2008-05-31
Brossard, QC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TSI Gabe
Hey guys,

I was wondering, out of curiosity, how is the routing for the consumers /56 blocks is working on the TekSavvy side?

How is the routing for those blocks configured? The link local address of the consumer router on the PPP link could be anything. Is the route dynamically configured each time the PPPoE session is established?

Thanks

smartel

join:2008-05-31
Brossard, QC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TSI Gabe
Hi,

I saw, somewhere earlier in that thread, someone asking how to get it to work on Mac OS X.

Here is what I had to do:

Before establishing the PPPoE connection:

sudo sysctl -w net.inet6.ip6.accept_rtadv=1

And once the connection is established:

sudo route add -inet6 default -interface ppp0

That can be automated by adding to /etc/sysctl.conf:

net.inet6.ip6.accept_rtadv=1

And creating a "/etc/ppp/ip-up" script. Something like that could work:

#!/bin/sh
route add -inet6 default -interface ${IFNAME}

"/etc/ppp/ip-up" need to be executable (chmod +x)

Hope that info will be of some help to someone

--
Simon Comeau Martel
simon@comeau.info
»comeau.info

iooi

join:2002-07-30
Toronto, ON
reply to jerseyjoe123
said by jerseyjoe123:

Also wondering if there were still openings for beta testers.
I also would like to know if this is still available

Thanks

kan

join:2009-07-29
Calgary, AB
reply to robbat2
west coast and us in alberta too

I'm here waiting in calgary for the move to ipv6!!