reply to TSI Gabe

Re: IPv6 beta

downloadwan.tiff 50,608 bytes
WAN config menu
downloadLAN.tiff 92,884 bytes
LAN config menu
downloadsummary.tiff 146,084 bytes
Results Screen
OK, I'd like to do a quick check of my assumptions; I appreciate anyone who can affirm or correct me on the following:

On my Cisco RV180 router, I have selected a WAN connection type of DHCPv6. I assume this is correct because a key address (IPv6 default gateway) was not specified, so I cannot set up manually. I further assume that the link-local address indicated in the IP address field (fe80::a64c:11ff:feee:7b4d/64) is actually ppp0.

For my LAN configuration, I have entered 2607:f2c0:blah:blah::1 with a prefix length of 56. I have further defined DNS as 2607:f2c0::1 and enabled stateless DHCPv6 for the internal clients. I have also enable Router Advertisment in support of this. (note: in the attached screenshot, the first field actually ends in ::1 even though the field is too short to display it)

I have not defined any routes, IPv6 address pools or advertisement prefixes.

From what I can glean from the 27 pages of discussion here (presumably the only place for support even though the instructions are two years old), this is the correct thing to do, but none of my clients are picking up IPv6 addresses.

squircle

join:2009-06-23
Oakville, ON
First, selecting DHCPv6 is wrong. In your WAN settings, the "WAN (Internet) Connection Type" should be set to "Static IPv6". Like you pointed out, you don't know your default gateway, but this is something that should be automatically determined by the router through IPv6CP during PPPoE negotiation. Also, instead of DHCPv6, you should use the built-in RADVD for prefix advertisements so clients can configure themselves (DHCPv6 support isn't nearly as ubiquitous as SLAAC).

Unfortunately, from reading all the documentation I could find on the RV180, it doesn't seem like it supports IPv6CP, so it doesn't look like you'll be able to use native IPv6 access with this router. Teksavvy has great routes to the HE tunnel servers, so that's probably your second-best option.

Sorry for the bad news. Try contacting Cisco and pressing for a firmware update that supports IPv6CP.

bthornhill

join:2004-05-10

1 edit
Squircle, thanks for that, especially for taking the time to investigate the router. If Tek were to simply provide me with the default gateway address, would I not have all the info I need to get the WAN side running?

squircle

Oakville, ON
That's not something they can provide you with; it's dynamic and changes each time you resync. The only way to get it is through IPv6CP.

bthornhill

join:2004-05-10
Cisco support suggested maybe a rule is blocking the config information from getting through (ICMPv6), but if this coming from the PPP negotiation, isn't that a layer below?

squircle

Oakville, ON
ICMPv6 doesn't have anything to do with the configuration; IPv6CP and ICMPv6 are two totally different things. The bottom line is this: if the RV180 doesn't support IPv6CP, you won't be able to use native IPv6 WAN over PPPoE. I am somewhat surprised that Cisco, purveyors of network innovation, don't support IPv6CP on all of their products, but it wouldn't be the first time the neglected to keep firmware up-to-date.

maximida

join:2013-01-13
reply to TSI Gabe
Hey guys I gotr my IPv6 info but am sort of confused as to how to put it into my router.

Running Tomato Toastman:

Service Type: Native IPv6 from ISP
Assigned / Routed Prefix:
Router IPv6 Address:
Static DNS:

I was given a /56 and a /64 . Currently I'm connecting through PPPoE in the router. What do I put? :P

jfayre8

join:2013-01-14
York, ON
reply to TSI Gabe
Hello,
Does anyone have a working config for a Mikrotik rb751U2HND router. I can get the PPP connection up, but I am not getting any addresses on machines on my local network. My pc is running Windows 8 and I believe I have set up the neighbor discovery on the router correctly. If I use the dhcp client, I can grab a prefix from teksavvy. From reading the forums though, it doesn't look like I am supposed to use dhcp. If my local machine does grab an ipv6 addresss, I do not get a default gateway.

rodjames
Premium
join:2010-06-19
Gloucester, ON
reply to TSI Gabe
The prefix you're getting is probably a Global or Link address. You will need the /64 or /56 address space as assigned, and manually input the information into your devices or into your local dhcp6 service.

MrMazda86

join:2013-01-29
Kitchener, ON
reply to TSI Gabe
Just a funny of-the-wall question when it comes to the IPv6 beta testing program... I've been racking my brain trying to figure out how to configure mine with no success. Could this have anything to do with the fact that the D-Link DIR-615 (Rev E) has a built-in NAT that sucks the poodle's wet balls?

I know in the case of a Static IPv4 /29 Subnet, the DIR-615 will most definitely *NOT* work because there is absolutely no way in which to completely disable the NAT. I'm just wondering if I should save myself some time, disable DHCP on the DIR-615, then hard wire it from LAN port to LAN port to the Linksys WRT54G running on Tomato as to effectively limit my connection speed to 100Mbit VS 54Mbit for LAN connectivity.

Any thoughts that could save me a lot of frustrations?

rpnc

join:2011-06-08
Markham, ON
I don't think the DIR-615 supports IPv6. It's not listed on D-Link's IPv6 page: »www.dlink.com/us/en/technology/d···olutions . Some of D-Link's others products may support IPv6 but not very well. I used to have a DIR-825 rev B. The list includes the DIR-825 rev C. The rev B supported IPv6 but didn't support an IPv6 firewall. The DIR-835 that I have now works well with Teksavvy IPv6.

rodjames
Premium
Gloucester, ON
reply to MrMazda86
DIR-615 does not support IPV6

MrMazda86

join:2013-01-29
Kitchener, ON

1 recommendation

said by rodjames:

I'd beg to differ there... If the DIR-615 doesn't support IPv6, how do you explain this?

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to rodjames
said by rodjames:

It must depend on the hardware / firmware of that router, because MrMazda86 See Profile's shows an example of one with IPv6 Support...
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

rodjames
Premium
Gloucester, ON
True. It has been a while since I updated that router.

spock

join:2012-07-08
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

3 edits
reply to TSI Gabe
Can anyone from TSI tell me the situation with ipv6 out west is. All I'm able to get from TSI is a single /64 ipv6 address. I'm running tomato-K26-1.28.7501.2MIPSR2Toastman-RT-Miniipv6 build, nothing on the LAN side is able to get ipv6 ip.

Why not give us a /128 for the WAN and /64 for our lans?

All the ip's I pull are from the same segment

2607:c000:1001:5::/64

mactalla

join:2008-02-19
kudos:1
spock See Profile and I discussed this elsewhere, but I'm brining it into this thread in case any other TekWest customer comes looking.

The prefix 2607:c000:1001:5::/64 is confirmed to be shared among end users. That means we are not given a subnet to play with, but instead are getting a single /128 within the shared /64 prefix.

My understanding of »www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ripe-552#···ent_size is that the smallest assignment ought to be a /64 subnet for end users. So sharing a /64 among multiple customers is incorrect, is it not?

squircle

Oakville, ON
said by mactalla:

My understanding of »www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ripe-552#···ent_size is that the smallest assignment ought to be a /64 subnet for end users. So sharing a /64 among multiple customers is incorrect, is it not?

It is very incorrect and goes against most IPv6 allocation policies I've seen, but in the end, that's not a legal document and TSI has the ability to allocate their addresses to customers however they see fit. I'd be interested to know why they are unable to/have chosen not to allocate /64 subnets to end users.

marcel31

join:2013-02-23
Mississauga, ON
reply to TSI Gabe
Click for full size
I have ASUS RT-AC66U IPv6 capable router. From what I've read on here I need to use Static connection. Anyway so far I have not been able to fill this out correctly. I am wondering if someone can help me out.

See attached picture.

squircle

Oakville, ON
The problem I see with that router's config is that all of the IPv6 WAN settings should be determined by IPv6CP, not input by the user. What you can do is try to put your /64 in the LAN IPv6 Prefix (e.g. 2607:f2c0:a:b:: with length 64) and pick a LAN IPv6 Address (e.g. 2607:f2c0:a:b::1), hit apply and see if it auto-configures the IPv6 WAN settings.

notfred

join:2012-09-15
reply to TSI Gabe
I'm not sure that you want Static IPv6, see if there is an option for IPv6 autoconfiguration (may be labelled IPv6 router solicitation) or PPP IPv6 or IPv6CP. This should fill in the WAN stuff automatically.

LAN IPv6 Prefix: Put the /56 address here
LAN Prefix Length: 64
LAN IPv6 Address: Put the /56 address here but end with ::1 this time

You can leave the IPv6 DNS empty, Teksavvy's v4 DNS return v6 results, or you could put in the Teksavvy ones, HE ones or Google ones if you want.

Router Advertisement: Enable - this should then mean that the computers can now use IPv6.

marcel31

Mississauga, ON
OK when I fill it in the way you say I get a message "not a valid IP address!"

marcel31

Mississauga, ON
I am not being successful at setting it up at all, I'll give it one more try next weekend and then I'll just give up on this. If anyone has any experience with ASUS router setup for use with IPv6 I would appreciate any suggestions.

I've been reading up about IPv6 tunneling through TunnelBroker using ASUS router apparently that works fine but I am assuming that that is not the same thing.

It kind of sucks to have a router that's suppose to be IPv6 ready and I can't get it going with my ISP.

notfred

join:2012-09-15
reply to TSI Gabe
I just pulled up the manual for that router from the ASUS web site and it doesn't even list the options available for IPv6. Page 78 just says contact your ISP, like Teksavvy is meant to know what to click on in the ASUS web interface when ASUS won't even document.

ASUS, your manual sucks!

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TSI Gabe
Anyone noticed the performance of the hsiservice.net logins is poor lately?

Here in High Park (Toronto) logging in via @teksavvy.com = 8ms pings to google.ca and 25/10 perfect.

Disconnecting, logging in via @hsiservice.net with IPV6 and google.ca (over IPV4) is 60-120ms with lots of judder and bandwidth is closer to 8Mbps down (and wildly variable and equally degraded ups).

I can reproduce this 100% of the time right now.

squircle

Oakville, ON

1 recommendation

It's not the login, it's the AGAS links. I know they're doing some maintenance today and the load balancing is either not available or acting strangely. Keep reconnecting until you end up on a non-congested link.

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

1 recommendation

said by squircle:

It's not the login, it's the AGAS links. I know they're doing some maintenance today and the load balancing is either not available or acting strangely. Keep reconnecting until you end up on a non-congested link.

Has been an issue for me for literally 2 weeks now, despite maybe a dozen or more disconnects / reconnects.

squircle

Oakville, ON
Same here. There's another thread about the AGAS problems; I've been having 200+ms first-hop ping times for weeks, slow speeds...

Anyways, I'm assuming that's why they're fiddling with the AGAS links today (to hopefully resolve the problem).

dalkeith74

@teksavvy.com
Affected yonge/401 as well. Seems to get worse in evenings.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to squircle
said by squircle:

Same here. There's another thread about the AGAS problems; I've been having 200+ms first-hop ping times for weeks, slow speeds...

That would be this thread:
»[DSL] Network congestion tonight?

TSI was saying they saw nothing wrong from their end (no single link near max) but I get 100-300ms ping and jitter all over the place with @hsiservice.net while on the other hand I get almost normal pingtest results with @teksavvy.com

Off-peak, both @teksavvy.com and @hsiservice.net give me 23-26ms ping and 0-2ms jitter.
During peak, @teksavvy.com gives me 35-65ms ping and 4-8ms jitter while @hsiservice.net gives me 100-330ms ping and 10-130ms jitter.

@hsiservice.net is effectively unusable for VoIP during peak hours.