how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

utubewoes

@teksavvy.com
reply to TSI Gabe

Re: IPv6 beta

I'm having a lot of issues with youtube when logged into the hsiservice account.. It tries to connect but always times out.. When i log in with my wiredhighspeed one the problem doesn't seem to exist.. It's also just youtube i am having the problem with but to be honest I don't visit that wide of a selection of sites either.

dmz

join:2006-07-12
canada
reply to TSI Gabe

Is there any facility within Tomato/MLPPP/IPv6 for a basic IPv6 firewall? ip6tables? If not, is it planned for future release?

AOD
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by dmz:

Is there any facility within Tomato/MLPPP/IPv6 for a basic IPv6 firewall? ip6tables? If not, is it planned for future release?
I have this question as well.

DSL_Ricer
Premium
join:2007-07-22
kudos:3

1 edit
reply to dmz

said by dmz:

Stateless firewalling could be done. However statefull firewalling would require upgrading the kernel. A very brief check seems to show that even 2.4.37 doesn't seem to have contrac for ipv6. So that would probably mean upgrading to a 2.6 kernel. While that can be done, the WRT54G* and the like have no wireless driver in 2.6. That's a hefty trade-off.

AOD
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by DSL_Ricer:

said by dmz:

Stateless firewalling could be done. However statefull firewalling would require upgrading the kernel. A very brief check seems to show that even 2.4.37 doesn't seem to have contrac for ipv6. So that would probably mean upgrading to a 2.6 kernel. While that can be done, the WRT54G* and the like have no wireless driver in 2.6. That's a hefty trade-off.
Yeah for me that is huge. I use wireless a lot. by firewall i mean NAT Translation for ipv6.

DSL_Ricer
Premium

said by AOD:

by firewall i mean NAT Translation for ipv6.
A brief check seems to indicate that even 2.6 might not support that.
Is there a reason why you need NAT in IPv6?

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

said by DSL_Ricer:

said by AOD:

by firewall i mean NAT Translation for ipv6.
He just said. He thinks NAT is a firewall.

dmz

canada
reply to DSL_Ricer

The question will become: what is the best "default" firewall for consumer IPv6?

Right now, with IPv4, people basically use NAT as a firewall. And then they use uPNP (or NAT-PMP) to automatically forward specific ports for applications that need to receive unsolicited traffic.

With IPv6, lets say by default we block all unsolicited traffic. What happens when an end-user wants to run an application like VoIP, or a game server, skype, etc? Do they have to manually go and allow access in their firewall? That seems like a step-backwards for the end user. Is there any mechanism that enables an application to notify the firewall to permit certain traffic through? (Much in the same way that applications can notify a router to port forward.)

DSL_Ricer
Premium

said by dmz:

The question will become: what is the best "default" firewall for consumer IPv6?
In tomato, the answer is simple. You have no choice, it's none.

said by dmz:

Is there any mechanism that enables an application to notify the firewall to permit certain traffic through? (Much in the same way that applications can notify a router to port forward.)
I'd presume UPnP does, but I must admit, I haven't looked into it much.
MS's page on requirements for home routers suggests this:
»www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/ne···IGD.mspx

dmz

canada

Interesting thread:

»www.ops.ietf.org/lists/v6ops/v6o···225.html

dmz

canada
reply to DSL_Ricer

This is still a draft, but it looks to address this very question:

»tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-v···urity-09

Tack

join:2007-10-23
Waterloo, ON

1 recommendation

reply to DSL_Ricer

said by DSL_Ricer:

Right, Linux doesn't. I've seen patches floating around a year or two back but haven't tried them.

I need NAT in order to load balance TCP sessions between multiple ISPs. It isn't a problem right now since my other ISP doesn't support IPv6 (and won't for a while), but near as I can tell, NAT is the only option for small users.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2
reply to TSI Gabe

Im not understanding this at all, Feel rather stupid about it too.

Im using Mikrotik beta, I got assigned a /64 and a /56.

So. I set up the /64 on the ppp interface, and from the router, I can ping the ipv6 google IP OK. There seems to be no auto-assigning of the ipv6 address during ppp negotiation.

What I cant figure out is how to assign the /56

so I got this:

2607:f2c0:f00f:f400::/56

the router doesnt let me assign 2607:f2c0:f00f:f400::1/56 to it, saying it cant advertise anything but a /64.

If I change it to 2607:f2c0:f00f:f400::1/64 to my lan facing interface the router never hands out an ipv6 address to a windows 7 machine. so Im lost.
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

DSL_Ricer
Premium

1 edit

said by Inssomniak:

You don't. You have 256 /64's to assign as you wish. Auto-configuration only happens in a /64.

I don't know about Mikrotik, but most OSs need to have an extra service running to do the router advertisements needed for autoconfigration. On linux it's radvd. You may wish to make sure it's ruining, but I suspect it's just a configuration problem.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

said by DSL_Ricer:

said by Inssomniak:

You don't. You have 256 /64's to assign as you wish. Auto-configuration only happens in a /64.

I don't know about Mikrotik, but most OSs need to have an extra service running to do the router advertisements needed for autoconfigration. On linux it's radvd. You may wish to make sure it's ruining, but I suspect it's just a configuration problem.
After some playing I got it working, (no DNS though).
I used a /64 on the router and advertised it (radvd) and it worked to give out IPs to hosts.

There is a few bugs in this beta, the pppoe client doesnt get the IP from TSI automatically, and one other related to a few mikrotik products that use a switch, which can be worked around.

Statically assigning the IP to the pppoe client works though.

This is very beta stuff, but it does have a full working stateful ipv6 firewall.
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

TSI Gabe
Router of Packets
Premium,VIP
join:2007-01-03
Gatineau, QC
kudos:7

I think it's time to make the somewhat official announcement.

IPv6 recursive DNS is now available as well. You can use

2607:f2c0::1
and
2607:f2c0::2

Auth DNS is in the works.
--
TSI Gabe - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

MaverickHL

join:2006-01-20

Hi Gabe,

Do we put this in the Static DNS in the router or our Windows DNS under the IPv6 section?

TemporalFlux
Premium
join:2003-08-07
Ont, Canada
reply to TSI Gabe

For all the MikroTik RouterOS people it looks like IPv6 over PPP will be supported in V5. It's in beta now.

Premium
join:2008-09-23
reply to TSI Gabe

so what user advantage is there to having IPv6 other then making it totally confusing for routing

clusty

join:2009-05-15
Montreal, QC
reply to TSI Gabe

Hey,

Any news on Tomato ND Ipv6?
There is some alpha 7 build, but am still waiting for the Ipv6 one...

Teksavvy1

join:2008-03-29

1 edit
reply to TSI Gabe

I would be interested in testing this out also

Thanks

mactalla

join:2008-02-19
reply to TSI Gabe

said by TSI Gabe:

We now have an IPv6 block routed to vancouver but the problem is that we need to upgrade the OS on one of the routers to properly support IPv6 over ppp. (requires downtime). No ETA for that yet.
Any ETA on an ETA?

TSI Gabe
Router of Packets
Premium,VIP
join:2007-01-03
Gatineau, QC
kudos:7

we are still waiting on patches from Juniper. They should be released soon but doesn't necessarily mean that we will be able to upgrade right away.

mactalla

join:2008-02-19

I didn't realize your hardware needed something different out this way. Let us know when there's an update. Myself and I'm sure a few others are ready to beta test as soon as it comes

dtsang

join:2003-08-16
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TSI Gabe

Click for full size
Screen under System Preferences
So I have my new IPv6 /64 address but I'm not sure what to put in the 'Router' box (also known as 'Gateway'). I've tried various combinations but nothing seems to work so far in terms of accessing IPv6-only websites.

Running Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

Any help would be appreciated!

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21

Im having the same problem under OS X, the login connects but the IP displays nothing, and I cannot surf any websites at all.
--
GOLF LEAFS GOLF!

Kevinck

join:2008-12-18
Waterloo, ON
reply to TSI Gabe

I'm no expert yet so forgive the uninformed question.

Will your beta ipv6 test work with a dd-wrt router as long as it's one of the ipv6 enabled dd-wrt versions?

Or are you currently only working with your own custom tomato firmware for that one router?

Etobicoke, ON

said by Kevinck:

Will your beta ipv6 test work with a dd-wrt router as long as it's one of the ipv6 enabled dd-wrt versions?

Or are you currently only working with your own custom tomato firmware for that one router?
The particular router does not matter. Just as long as it supports IPv6 and IPv6CP with its PPP implementation.

Guru

join:2008-10-01
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

1 edit
reply to HiVolt

I'm running 2link on IPV6 using this Tomato firmware. Everything is running fine except the torrents. My connection is not throttled but my torrents are only downloading with 1 link. The reason I can tell it's using 1 link only is because when I download torrents I usually download at 1.3mb/s but with this firmware on IPV6 the max its downloading is at 550kb/s. Torrents I download are seeded fully. Is anyone facing this problem? or can someone check??

Etobicoke, ON

said by Guru:

I'm running 2link on IPV6 using this Tomato firmware. Everything is running fine except the torrents. My connection is not throttled but my torrents are only downloading with 1 link. The reason I can tell it's using 1 link only is because when I download torrents I usually download at 1.3mb/s but with this firmware on IPV6 the max its downloading is at 550kb/s. Torrents I download are seeded fully. Is anyone facing this problem? or can someone check??
It was mentioned in another thread that there is an issue with IPv6 and MLPPP on Juniper gear not working together properly. My guess is the issue you're experiencing is probably relate to the issue mentioned. If that is the case it should be fixed by an upcoming OS update from Juniper.