Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

marcel31

join:2013-02-23
Mississauga, ON
reply to johnwhelan

Re: IPv6 beta

I have RT-AC66U same options and I have pretty much given up on getting it to work with Teksavvy. I am not an expert on this stuff so I am not really sure who to blame but although I love my router Documentation on how to set up IPv6 simply sux. I wish it was automatic. I think that's what "DHCP-PD" connection would do if it was supported by Teksavvy.

johnwhelan

join:2013-03-15

It sounds like we need the static IP side but what the values for
WAN IPv6 Address
WAN Prefix Length
WAN IPv6 Gateway

LAN IPv6 Prefix
LAN Prefix Length
LAN IPv6 Address

IPv6 DNS Server 1
IPv6 DNS Server 2
IPv6 DNS Server 3

are I'm unclear. Perhaps someone can translate the terms into Teksavvyish.

Thanks John

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

N66u is easy to configure with TekSavvy.

Yes, you do use "Static IPv6". In the future hopefully this will move to automatic with DHCPv6-PD but for now static is the way it's done.

Configure your PPPoE connection for your @hsiservice.net login first and verify that regular IPv4 works fine, then...

Assuming TekSavvy assigned you:

IPV6 /64: 2607:f2c0:a000:aa::/64
IPV6 /56: 2607:f2c0:f00f:bb::/56

You would fill in the following on your 66u:

WAN IPv6 Address: 2607:f2c0:a000:aa::1
WAN Prefix Length: 64
WAN IPv6 Gateway: 2607:f2c0:a000:aa::1 (same as your address)

LAN IPv6 Prefix: 2607:f2c0:f00f:bb::
LAN Prefix Length: 56
LAN IPv6 Address : 2607:f2c0:f00f:bb::1

So, the WAN is your /64 address with "1" on the end (or could be anything, it's just an assignment you give) and a 64 prefix (hence /64).

The LAN prefix is your /56 without any address (so ending in ::), 56 as the prefix lenght, and your prefix with "1" at the end (or whatever you want) as the LAN address.

You can leave the DNS servers blank as TSI's v4 name servers resolve AAAA without issue and I've found TSI's v6 name servers be a little unreliable.

Once this is done you can go to »test-ipv6.com

If it shows the following:

Your IPv6 address on the public Internet appears to be XXXX

then it works. Hope that helps.

johnwhelan

I now have the IPV6 setup as static with the addresses in.

>Configure your PPPoE connection for your @hsiservice.net login first and verify that regular IPv4 works fine, then...

I'm still running on the old login not the @hsiservice.net so how do I change this?

Thanks John

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by johnwhelan:

I now have the IPV6 setup as static with the addresses in.

>Configure your PPPoE connection for your @hsiservice.net login first and verify that regular IPv4 works fine, then...

I'm still running on the old login not the @hsiservice.net so how do I change this?

Thanks John

On the left where it says WAN, click that.
Change the username to your username @hsiservice.net
Click apply.

johnwhelan

I dug around the WAN settings and eventually stumbled across PPPoE then it was just a matter of dropping in the new userid. So it appears the new userid is both IPv4 and IPV6 which I didn't appreciate.

The test-ipv6.com shows its all working. I did wonder if I might need to play in Win 7 but apparently not.

Many Thanks

Cheerio John

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by johnwhelan:

So it appears the new userid is both IPv4 and IPV6 which I didn't appreciate.

Correct. The @hsiservice.net login will give you both traditional IPv4 and IPv6 over PPP natively.

Enjoy.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to johnwhelan

said by johnwhelan:

Huh? That's what it is supposed to be. Not making any sense.

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by 34764170:

said by johnwhelan:

Huh? That's what it is supposed to be. Not making any sense.

I think he meant appreciate as in 'understand', not that he was unhappy.

marcel31

join:2013-02-23
Mississauga, ON
reply to SimplePanda

said by SimplePanda:

N66u is easy to configure with TekSavvy.

Yes, you do use "Static IPv6". In the future hopefully this will move to automatic with DHCPv6-PD but for now static is the way it's done.

Configure your PPPoE connection for your @hsiservice.net login first and verify that regular IPv4 works fine, then...

Assuming TekSavvy assigned you:

IPV6 /64: 2607:f2c0:a000:aa::/64
IPV6 /56: 2607:f2c0:f00f:bb::/56

You would fill in the following on your 66u:

LAN IPv6 Prefix: 2607:f2c0:f00f:bb::
LAN Prefix Length: 56
LAN IPv6 Address : 2607:f2c0:f00f:bb::1

So, the WAN is your /64 address with "1" on the end (or could be anything, it's just an assignment you give) and a 64 prefix (hence /64).

The LAN prefix is your /56 without any address (so ending in ::), 56 as the prefix lenght, and your prefix with "1" at the end (or whatever you want) as the LAN address.

You can leave the DNS servers blank as TSI's v4 name servers resolve AAAA without issue and I've found TSI's v6 name servers be a little unreliable.

Once this is done you can go to »test-ipv6.com

If it shows the following:

Your IPv6 address on the public Internet appears to be XXXX

then it works. Hope that helps.

I have almost given up on this, thank you very much this works for my RT-AC66U router as well. I just wish ASUS would give better documentation on how to set this up.

bthornhill

join:2004-05-10

2 edits
reply to SimplePanda

said by SimplePanda:

On my router, it kicks back the error "IPv6 Address and Default IPv6 Gateway should not be same." This makes sense, and I'm not sure how it could work as written...

The Default IPv6 Gateway is the one missing piece of the puzzle for me since my Cisco apparently doesn't support IPv6CP.

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by bthornhill:

said by SimplePanda:

On my router, it kicks back the error "IPv6 Address and Default IPv6 Gateway should not be same." This makes sense, and I'm not sure how it could work as written...

The Default IPv6 Gateway is the one missing piece of the puzzle for me since my Cisco apparently doesn't support IPv6CP.

I know on it's face it shouldn't work. The ASUS firmware seems to require these fields to be filled out but seems to be happy using what is provided by the PPP connection in place.

I can't remember testing V6 over PPP on a Cisco but I -think- I had it working at some point.

johnwhelan

1 recommendation

reply to marcel31

I think the problem is when IPv6 first started to roll out it was more a technical curiosity than anything else. It was probably fashionable to modify router software which is normally not recommended for ordinary mortals.

It's been around a number of years now but its beginning to gain some traction with end users for pure functionality reasons. IPSec is probably the most important but peer to peer is also becoming important and IPv6 offers some advantages here besides the running out of address space whatever.

Also more home routers support it without modified software.

To move forward and expand to a wider audience it needs simpler clearer documentation which I think has appeared on this thread. Thank you very much.

If someone none technical is told the userid for IPv4 is @teksavvy.com and later IPv6 uses @hsiservice.net there is little reason for them to realise that @hsiservice.net also has IPv4 as well as IPv6.

Also the terminology used by ASUS is not the same as used by Teksavvy.

I used to hire librarians 'cause they were intelligent and cheap and get them to write down the steps in terms they could understand. We had many fewer queries from end users once we did this. The downside was the agency I hired them from was talking to me one day saying they couldn't quite understand what I did with them, they all seemed very happy to work for me but then went off and got jobs as technical writers afterwards.

Cheerio John

Etobicoke, ON
reply to bthornhill

said by bthornhill:

said by SimplePanda:

You couldn't use IPv6 over PPP without IPv6CP support. I don't know the specifics of the UI for your router but you're probably setting the v6 connection mode to PPPoE somewhere and that implies the use of IPv6CP.

bthornhill

join:2004-05-10

Well, according to Cisco it does not support IPv6CP, so their claim of IPv6 support is false, to be blunt.

The router demands the default gateway be entered, so I'm stalled at this point. I'm not going to keep dropping $150 routers playing a guessing game.

Etobicoke, ON

said by bthornhill:

Well, according to Cisco it does not support IPv6CP, so their claim of IPv6 support is false, to be blunt.

The router demands the default gateway be entered, so I'm stalled at this point. I'm not going to keep dropping $150 routers playing a guessing game.

Ya, not having IPv6 over PPPoE support would be a pretty big issue for their IPv6 support.

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by 34764170:

said by bthornhill:

Ya, not having IPv6 over PPPoE support would be a pretty big issue for their IPv6 support.

Seems a pretty big fail on Cisco's part.

I had issues getting 6rd working on a Cisco E4500 as well (Rogers 6rd BR's). Both a D-link and an ASUS worked fine and are very stable but the E4500 wouldn't even get a ping through.

Hell, even an Airport Extreme hacked to work on 6rd by manually calculating the prefixes worked.

Amusing considering the 6rd RFC was written by Cisco.

RobinK

join:2004-04-16
Canada
reply to TSI Gabe

I recently switched to my @teksavvy.com from my @hsiservice login because of the huge congestions issues with the latter and I am still getting my IPv6 address. Has teksavvy enabled IPv6 for standard logins now? Or is this an oddity?
--
Argue opinions using facts. Not facts using opinions.

squircle

join:2009-06-23
Oakville, ON

Well you don't "get" an IPv6 address with either; it's all statically-assigned. So this would be something of your doing, not Teksavvy's.

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to RobinK

said by RobinK:

I recently switched to my @teksavvy.com from my @hsiservice login because of the huge congestions issues with the latter and I am still getting my IPv6 address. Has teksavvy enabled IPv6 for standard logins now? Or is this an oddity?

So you're using @teksavvy.com and your V6 address space is still working? You can ping outside and test-ipv6.com works?

Maybe they're finally rolling v6 out to production.

RobinK

join:2004-04-16
Canada

said by SimplePanda:

said by RobinK:

So you're using @teksavvy.com and your V6 address space is still working? You can ping outside and test-ipv6.com works?

Maybe they're finally rolling v6 out to production.

Looks like false alarm. I thought it was working because the only reason I noticed was the IPv6 page indicator in my browser was on for both google and facebook while browsing. But since losing sync last night, I do not have IPv6 connectivity anymore.
--
Argue opinions using facts. Not facts using opinions.

eli

join:2012-11-22
Canada
reply to TSI Gabe

Is there anything being done about the @hsiservice logins that is having congestions issues?

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

1 recommendation

said by eli:

Is there anything being done about the @hsiservice logins that is having congestions issues?

I gave up on the native V6 a couple of weeks ago. Hurricane Electric / TunnelBroker.net 6in4 tunnel is as fast as native even in off peak hours and during peak hours when the @hsiservice.net logins are unusable the 6in4 tunnel via a @teksavvy.com is still fast.

smartel

join:2008-05-31
Brossard, QC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TSI Gabe

Tonight, it's my turn to get horrendous performance with my IPv6 (@hsiservice.net) account. 389ms ping on speedtest.net with 0.21Mbps download.

With my @teksavvy.com account everything is normal: 22ms ping and 5.13Mbps download.

Strange.

Grokko

join:2013-04-11
Ottawa, ON
reply to TSI Gabe

Does anyone have the terminal config for Mikrotik RouterOS 6, minus any identifying info, that I may study? I can get the router connected, and even get DNS responses, but if I ping6 ipv6.google.com from linux, i get:

PING ipv6.google.com(yyz08s10-in-x11.1e100.net) 56 data bytes
From x:x:x:x:x:x Destination unreachable: Address unreachable

So it appears I'm close, but haven't got the Mikrotik routing yet. Perhaps looking at a working configuration may give me some insight as to what I need to do for routing and firewall.

clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7
reply to TSI Gabe

So I guess this is still a non-starter for the west, since we haven't heard otherwise?
--
db

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to TSI Gabe

So, doing a brief test again today I'm noticing that IPv6 congestion during primetime still seems to be an issue (whereas standard login congestion seems fine).

@teksavvy.com: 8ms pings.
@hsiservice.net: 100ms pings and jittery like crazy.

DragonSpyre
Premium
join:2009-05-20
Aurora, ON

I am experiencing the exact same problem as well. Extremely high latency on IPV6 @hsiservice and an inability to pull more then 7mbit on my 15mbit connection. When I switch back to IPV4 @teksavvy latency is back to normal and full sync speed can be utilized.

notfred

join:2012-09-15

Yup, I've had the same as well. After going back and forth in the direct forum I gave up and just did a tunnel from Hurricane Electric via tunnelbroker.net

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to TSI Gabe

Same. Tunnelling to tunnelbroker.net on @teksavvy.com login is a lot faster during peak hours.

I know the V6 service is still a beta but the performance (and lack of commentary from TSI on the issue) is a little disappointing.