Thade
join:2009-12-16
Orlando, FL

Thade to NormanS

to NormanS

Re: What is Xfinity?

said by NormanS:

said by tempnexus:

And better question WTF is Xfinity and how is it any different then what we have now?
I believe it is Comcast's answer to Verizon's "FiOS", and AT&T's "Uverse". Nothing more.
It's not really their answer to either "FiOS" or "Uverse", but more of another name for their triple play package. It's not like it's going to be called "Comcast Xfinity"
Drizew
join:2004-09-17
Los Lunas, NM

2 edits

Drizew

What is XFINITY?

XFINITY is the new brand for Comcast's technology platform, products, and services. Comcast remains the name of our company.

Recently, we made some significant changes to our network and product capabilities that have given us the ability to offer even more HD channels, more Video On Demand choices, faster Internet speeds and more video online, plus new cross-platform and mobile features.

As a result of these changes, we have rebranded our products using the following names: XFINITY TV, XFINITY Internet, and XFINITY Voice.

XFINITY is about offering our customers more choice, more control, more speed, and more HD than ever before. It's also our promise to customers that we will keep innovating to deliver the best possible experience.

Where does the name XFINITY come from?

XFINITY stands for infinite content choices (the "infinity") and cross-platform features (that's the "X"). The idea behind XFINITY stems from an initiative called "Project Infinity." We announced this initiative at the Consumer Electronics Show in January 2008 and introduced Project Infinity for the first time. Project Infinity is about offering our customers exponentially more content choices and that means we'll continually offer more Video On Demand, more HD, more channels, and more online video.

When we first announced Project Infinity in 2008, we had 10,000 Video On Demand choices. This year, we'll have 20,000 choices and that number will continue to increase significantly over time. At the same time, we began to roll out faster Internet speeds with DOCSIS 3.0 technology that delivers some of the fastest Internet speeds available. More recently, we added thousands of TV and movie choices for consumers to watch online at fancastxfinitytv.com and are adding 100+ HD channels and 5,000 HD choices On Demand. As these products evolved, and as new cross-platform features were being introduced, we wanted a new, more unified product name for these new products as we roll them out across the country. XFINITY is that name.

»customer.comcast.com/Pag ··· b2826b14

FAQs are made for a reason. Use them.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA

1 edit

1 recommendation

NormanS to Thade

MVM

to Thade
And "FiOS", and "Uverse" are not similar packages? Comcast just wanted their own "slick" marketing name!

tempnexus
Premium Member
join:1999-08-11
Boston, MA

tempnexus to Drizew

Premium Member

to Drizew
SO when will I see and experience those changes?
I see the ads on my TV but I am still stuck in the 16mbit max download speeds (with Powerboost but no D3).
Drizew
Los Lunas, NM

Drizew

No later then January 2011. My guess is July 12th.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG to Drizew

Premium Member

to Drizew
Guess there is no doubt that you are an employee huh !!
Drizew
Los Lunas, NM

Drizew

HAHA... I just had no expectations of being upgraded any time before 90% of the country was. I have set my complaint (WTF I WANT THIS ALREADY) date @ 1/12/2011. If I see it sooner I will be surprised.