dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
« New Speeds!
This is a sub-selection from Massive Slowdowns?

koolkid1563
MVM
join:2005-11-06
Powell, WY
MikroTik CCR1036-8G-2S+
MikroTik hAP AC

koolkid1563 to mrreliable

MVM

to mrreliable

Re: Massive Slowdowns?

Meh, still nowhere near where I would expect a 15/1 line to work at but I almost don't even care anymore. Between our service that we had with Bresnan in Powell before we switched ISPs and the service I currently have with Bresnan here in Butte I am getting the notion that this is just how it is and really do believe there are those areas that get great service...just not the ones I have lived in. Maybe I have just been 'spoiled' by too many good ISPs over the last decade or so to lower the bar so much that I can be happy on this level of connection. But alas, this is as good as it gets as there aren't too many choices for me...Anyways, enough ranting and on to the tests:

There was nothing in the background running on any of these tests. I had my bandwidth monitor up and it would go to about 1-3Kb/s up and down when not running tests.
koolkid1563

koolkid1563

MVM

Think I should clarify - don't get my wrong...5Mb/s isn't bad nor is 2 when put into retrospect with some of the offerings in some areas of the country. What gets me is these are coming off of a connection advertised as 15/1...

Omega
Premium Member
join:2002-07-30
Golden, CO

Omega

Premium Member

You should downgrade to 8mbit...if you aren't getting your advertised speed, there is no reason to pay them more money a month.

koolkid1563
MVM
Powell, WY
MikroTik CCR1036-8G-2S+
MikroTik hAP AC

1 edit

koolkid1563

MVM

I would but usually during non-peak hours when I really need my VPN connection I can get decent upload speeds which is why I keep it around. We did downgrade in Powell before we switched ISPs but upload wasn't too important for me back than. Since they added their additional bandwidth things have gone lower than the 'norm'.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
·StarLink

SimbaSeven to Omega

to Omega
said by Omega:

You should downgrade to 8mbit...if you aren't getting your advertised speed, there is no reason to pay them more money a month.
I would suggest that, too.. Unless he needs the upload (3x faster than the 8mbps package).

koolkid1563
MVM
Powell, WY
MikroTik CCR1036-8G-2S+
MikroTik hAP AC

1 edit

koolkid1563

MVM

Hm, network outage (fun). Guess I needed to go to bed anyways. Modem can sync the downstream channel but can't find the upstream channel to lock onto. Called and they said they have a network outage in the area (tethering from my phone to post this).
koolkid1563

koolkid1563

MVM

This may come as no surprise...Speeds are back in the dump again. It has been nice the last week or two after they made their 'upgrade' but that seems to have been short lived.

koolkid1563

koolkid1563

MVM

Butte's CMTS is down again. Modem lost sync at 12:30, called and they are doing scheduled maintenance on it. ETA to being back up: 4:30AM...
« New Speeds!
This is a sub-selection from Massive Slowdowns?