pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

Beautiful Picture

As someone who has really come to despise Scientific Atlanta based DVRs, all I can say is, you made me really happy.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

Maybe, but I would be skeptical.

Will you be allowed to use fast forward or skip ahead features? Similar to VOD, will NBC allow customers to be able to skip past the commercials, or will the remote DVR be locked down? Will the media server further compress the HD signal for storage and distribution, or is it the exact same signal you could expect to receive by watching live TV? How might this impact the overall network performance?

If anything, perhaps this move might generate more interest in third party DVRs that give the consumer more control. It doesn't appear that Cablevision will be passing any savings along to the customers, as they seem content on charging about the same amount for the remote DVR as they would for a local version.

I wonder if there will still be charges for HD set-top-boxes? The channels have to be unscrambled, so a box or cable card will still be required. This move is all about making more money, and very little to do with creating any real value for the customers.
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678

said by jmn1207:

Maybe, but I would be skeptical.

Will you be allowed to use fast forward or skip ahead features? Similar to VOD, will NBC allow customers to be able to skip past the commercials, or will the remote DVR be locked down? Will the media server further compress the HD signal for storage and distribution, or is it the exact same signal you could expect to receive by watching live TV? How might this impact the overall network performance?

If anything, perhaps this move might generate more interest in third party DVRs that give the consumer more control.
cable vision uses SDV and there web site says for some channels

Available to customers with a Scientific Atlanta digital cable box. The package is not available to customers with a Sony digital cable box or a CableCARD.