« Well this is dumb...Supreme Court »
This is a sub-selection from And

joebarnhart
Paxio evangelist

join:2005-12-15
Santa Clara, CA
reply to TwoCpus4me

Re: And

Yep, commercial skipping will never be implemented. Already my Comcast box implements FF/Rew so poorly that it's a real effort to skip commercials. I soooo much prefer my mythbox.

But guess what? Since cable began encrypting the signals of all content that isn't freely available over the air, I can't USE my mythbox to record cable HDTV shows. And FCC is in the pockets of the cable companies and will do nothing to preserve my right to time-shift programming.

In time the cable companies will make our living rooms into their own pay-per-view theaters and I'll just get rid of the whole mess. Frankly if I never saw another TV show or DVD it wouldn't bother me.

TwoCpus4me

join:2003-10-16

1 edit
I switched to OTA (Antenna) and use the Win7 Media Center as my DVR. All my content is free, mostly HD, and I control all of it.

Oh, forgot, NO MONTHLY BILL EVER.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
kudos:3
reply to joebarnhart
said by joebarnhart:

In time the cable companies will make our living rooms into their own pay-per-view theaters and I'll just get rid of the whole mess. Frankly if I never saw another TV show or DVD it wouldn't bother me.
You may not be one of the people I'm talking about, but it seems that more and more people are okay with this. More people are okay with OTHER internet providers charging per-show to view over the internet.. so what's wrong with cable wanting this? To be honest, I can say first hand that cable, at least Comcast, has been talking about charging customers for what they view for at least 10 years now..

Back in 2001, a company meeting, some of the higher ups were talking about a day of 100 meg to each home, IPTV, and charging people for what they want to view.. that's ppv on a much larger level.. where the future takes us is still unclear. I don't think enough people, in mass, are ready for electric service like billing on TV.. SOME people want ppv video as a whole, but I don't think the masses want that just yet.

cornelius785

join:2006-10-26
Worcester, MA
reply to joebarnhart
well you can still record the encrypted channels, but it'll cost you. if the firewire port on the set top box is enabled and there isn't 5c encryption, you are set. otherwise, you'll need to get a hd-pvr and record from the array of ports coming from the back of the set top box. if they are really being dicks and enable hdcp, you'll need a hdcp stripper.