Premium Member
join:2005-05-19
Chatham, ON

2 edits

JGROCKY

Premium Member

IPv6 update.... More testers welcome!

Hey Gang,

Marc and I just finished discussions on this matter and have both agreed to expand the testing group to a wider, more open one. As a result Gabe will be creating more IP blocks to distribute to whoever wants them. The obvious applies as usual... you must be a client of ours in order to comply with active user login assignments (it's a bell thing for ON/QC).

So, if you'd like a v6 IP go to the direct area, request one, and have fun, test away but please be sure to let us know if anything goes wrong (as this is a testing period!) so that we can troubleshoot things!

In the meantime, welcome to our beta v6 world! We're going to do everything we can to make it a fully functional reality as soon as we can!

Edit: For registering go to the following link for details: »IPv6 beta

Rocky
JGROCKY

JGROCKY

Premium Member

Just went through the first page of the direct section to bump some of the v6 requests so if you haven't seen anything and want an account please be sure to bump it up, otherwise we'll likely get to it when we get to it.

infamouskid
join:2007-01-24
White Rock, BC
·TELUS

infamouskid to JGROCKY

to JGROCKY
hey rocky is there an official ipv6 testers area? or like support area?
i have noticed that so far gabe only has support firmware for wrt54x is there going to be firmware compiled for the ND router counterparts?
i think ipv6 support on something like openwrt or ddwrt would be a good idea since its hardware support list is pretty large and its communities are pretty big too.
and last do you know if the any of our modems are ipv6 ready? or have flash able firmware avail?

TSI Gabe
Router of Packets
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Gatineau, QC

TSI Gabe

Premium Member

I'm working on developing IPv6 on tomato. But that doesn't mean you should only use that. You can go ahead and try whatever other system you like. That's the whole point of the beta.
daboom
Premium Member
join:2001-12-16
Oshawa, ON

daboom to infamouskid

Premium Member

to infamouskid
The latest version of openwrt does work with this ipv6 setup but requires a bit of cli and gui work to get it going.

Basic steps to get this working:

download the latest release i believe 8.09 .
plug in your new ipv6 pppoe info
download software for ip6tables, kmod ipv6 module radvd etc.
check the box in pppoe setup to enable ipv6 use.
Add ipv6 lan ip in the lan setup section as provided.
In Cli use vi to make a radvd conf file.
Run radvd.

we have a unofficial live chat channel to discuss with others on efnet #teksavvyipv6 please feel free to join and hang out.

vitesse
join:2002-12-17
Saint-Philippe, QC

1 edit

vitesse to JGROCKY

to JGROCKY
Can we updates to the latest beta firmware and use a backup configuration made with our current firmware? I currently use Version 1.21-mp3alpha4

Edit: I finally made a complete install, was not that long anyway.

infamouskid
join:2007-01-24
White Rock, BC

1 recommendation

infamouskid to JGROCKY

to JGROCKY
sounds great. wow i haven't been on irc since highschool and dial up with internet direct. lol

TemporalFlux
Premium Member
join:2003-08-07
Ottawa, ON

TemporalFlux

Premium Member

Well I got my assignments last night. I ended up finding out that my router that supports IPv6 does not support IPv6 over PPP/PPPoE/MLPPP etc due to some bug (so they removed the support for it). It's a Linux based appliance called a RouterBoard RB450G. It's running RouterOS 4.5. After looking around on the web it seems that there is not much that does support IPv6/PPP. I might try the tomato firmware on an old 54GL later.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

1 edit

pnjunction to JGROCKY

Premium Member

to JGROCKY
... (wrong thread)

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to TemporalFlux

MVM

to TemporalFlux
Your router may be supported by OpenWRT/MLPPP, if it's close enough to the RB450.

Teksavvy1
join:2008-03-29

3 edits

Teksavvy1 to JGROCKY

to JGROCKY

Can some confirm Hardware - WRT300N or FIRMWare dd-wrt.

I will try this out

The latest version of openwrt does work with this ipv6 setup but requires a bit of cli and gui work to get it going.

Basic steps to get this working:

download the latest release i believe 8.09 .
plug in your new ipv6 pppoe info
download software for ip6tables, kmod ipv6 module radvd etc.
check the box in pppoe setup to enable ipv6 use.
Add ipv6 lan ip in the lan setup section as provided.
In Cli use vi to make a radvd conf file.
Run radvd.

we have a unofficial live chat channel to discuss with others on efnet #teksavvyipv6 please feel free to join and hang out.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak to TemporalFlux

Premium Member

to TemporalFlux
said by TemporalFlux:

Well I got my assignments last night. I ended up finding out that my router that supports IPv6 does not support IPv6 over PPP/PPPoE/MLPPP etc due to some bug (so they removed the support for it). It's a Linux based appliance called a RouterBoard RB450G. It's running RouterOS 4.5. After looking around on the web it seems that there is not much that does support IPv6/PPP. I might try the tomato firmware on an old 54GL later.
v5 beta works with PPPoE and IPV6. been using it since the beta and its been fine for ipv6.

CanerisErik
Caneris
Premium Member
join:2007-10-03
Toronto, ON

CanerisErik to Teksavvy1

Premium Member

to Teksavvy1
said by Teksavvy1:

We are planning to add easy to use IPv6 support for OpenWrt/MLPPP in a future release.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to JGROCKY

Premium Member

to JGROCKY
has anyone tried the ipv6 trial with OS X pppoe login?

I dont know exactly what to fill in where. WHen configured as automatic, it connects but no IP is assigned and I cannot surf.

I tried typing manually what I was assigned but i dont know if i should put the /64 in the prefix or in the address itself.

Im new to this ipv6 never tried it before. sorry for the n00b question. i wanted to ask in direct but they closed my thread already lol.

ohmer
join:2003-08-06
Quebec, QC

1 edit

ohmer to JGROCKY

to JGROCKY
When I requested a ipv6 login, I have been told that my static ipv4 ips cannot be transfered to the new login.

Is it still the same thing? This is preventing me to test ipv6 because I want to keep my static ipv4 and my /29 subnet.
Banimator
join:2008-10-20

Banimator to JGROCKY

to JGROCKY
Hey Guys,

Just a quick question. For someone who is not that knowledgeable in networking (but can setup a home network, and flash a router), is there any advantages of IP6?

I guess I am asking why would I need this, what does it add? Or is it only for future proofing the internet for not running out of IP's?
dtsang
join:2003-08-16
Toronto, ON

dtsang to HiVolt

to HiVolt
I have a similar problem. I think the IPv6 address assigned to us goes in the IPv6 Address box, and prefix length should be 64. But it still doesn't connect to IPv6 sites
said by HiVolt:

I tried typing manually what I was assigned but i dont know if i should put the /64 in the prefix or in the address itself.