spc
Search similar:

uniqs

garypen
join:2001-02-06
Laguna Beach, CA

garypen

Starting with a Vonage number, but porting POTS number later

Is it possible to start a Vonage account using a new, Vonage-provided phone number, then, if I decide to keep the service, port over my POTS number, replacing the Vonage number?

Thanks.
WA 425
join:2006-08-19
Lynnwood, WA

WA 425

Yes, but you may incur a 9.95 number-change fee when you port if you don't ask for the port in your initial order.

Also, the Vonage-assigned number could be from a different rate center, and even a toll call from your local area.

garypen
Laguna Beach, CA

garypen

The number-change fee seems fair. It's worth it not to go through the hassle of porting twice, if it turns out we don't like the service. (especially since the World plan is $14.95 during the current promo.)

I'm not sure what you mean about the "rate center". If I get a number in my area code, combined with the fact that all domestic LD calls are free, how would that affect me?

Thanks.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

The "rate center" issue is not about you calling other people.

Rather, it is about other people calling you, and assuming those people still have a traditional type of phone service.

If you get a phone number in a different rate center (even if it's the same area code), it may be a toll call for people calling you even if they live in your town.

»www.localcallingguide.co ··· dist.php

garypen
Laguna Beach, CA

garypen

I see. When I enter my area code, it shows a list of localities that I can choose from, which includes the one I live in.

I was assuming that if I chose my current locality, the number I got would have the same rate characteristics as my current number.

I also assume that if and when I port my current number, it will have the same rate characteristics, as well.

Are those correct assumptions?
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

It's not guaranteed that a newly assigned number will be in the same rate center that you prefer.

I'm speaking in general here---I am not commenting on one VoIP provider (such as Vonage) specifically.

If you port your current number, yes, the rate center for that number will be the same as currently.

Again, this all relates to other people (like POTS customers) calling YOU, not your outbound VoIP calls to them.

In addition to the link I posted above, also see:

»www.telcodata.us/telcodata/telco

Now, it appears as though San Jose has three (3) rate centers, being North, West, and South. It looks like calls between them are NOT considered toll calls, but, again, it is always good to check specific exchanges.

»www.telcodata.us/telcoda ··· state=ca

»www.localcallingguide.co ··· 60&dir=1

garypen
Laguna Beach, CA

garypen

Actually, I am referring to one voip provider, Vonage, specifically. And, it appears they allow the applicant to choose a specific "area", which seems to correspond to the "rate centers", when choosing the new phone number. (They also let you choose the actual number from a list for that area.)

All this talk of rate centers is moot, though, as I plan on porting my current number, if and when I've decided that the Vonage service is good enough for me. That will have to be decided within the 30-day money-back-guarantee window. So, it isn't a very long time to worry about. Plus, the Vonage-supplied number is only for testing purposes anyway. I don't expect many calls with it.

The important thing is that I will be able to port the old ATT number even though I am starting the account with a new Vonage number.

Thanks for the info!