All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jpr281
join:2006-01-12
Shirley, NY

jpr281

[Optimum Voice] How often does OV update its Caller ID database?

I changed my caller ID name on my cell phone so that it shows my First name, Last name over a month ago and Cablevision still has it as "Cell Phone NY."

I'm on a family plan, so my cell phone initially came up in the main account holder's name, now it comes up as me (or it's supposed to).

With Verizon POTS it was updated in under 24 hours. My cell never came up as "Cell Phone NY" with Verizon, it was always Last, First.
Bobcat79
Premium Member
join:2001-02-04

1 edit

Bobcat79

Premium Member

Re: [Optimum Voice] How often does OV update its Caller ID datab

You're using your Verizon Wireless cell phone to call your OV number? Verizon Wireless respects your privacy and will not provide a list of its customers' names to anyone. So it will only show "New York".

Edited for technical accuracy.
jpr281
Shirley, NY

jpr281

ATT Wireless.
Bobcat79
Premium Member
join:2001-02-04

1 edit

Bobcat79

Premium Member

OK, I don't know AT&T's policy on providing customers' names to third parties. Or if it's working when you call non-OV phones, it would appear to be a OV problem.
jpr281
Shirley, NY

jpr281

I wonder if you can call CV and have them update the CID database manually.

RickNY
Premium Member
join:2000-11-02
Bellport, NY

1 edit

RickNY to jpr281

Premium Member

to jpr281
I used to have Verizon Wireless and ported over to Sprint about a year and a half ago.. I didnt like that Verizon didnt show my name when I called.. When I ported to Sprint, it continued showing up as 'Wireless Caller' -- but then I found out you could call Sprint and tell them what name you wanted to show up on Caller ID if you wanted. I told them to put my name -- it started showing up on my OV line within about a week.

And as far as Verizon respecting privacy, that's all well and fine -- for someone that doesn't want their name to show up on a caller ID. But there are a lot of people (like me) that DO want their name to show up -- a lot of people just don't bother answering the phone if they don't recognize the number and don't see a name. With Verizon, they don't even allow a customer that WANTS their name shown to transmit it.

I'm not a big fan of any phone service that wont transmit my name.. Vonage comes to mind.. Verizon Wireless, as I discussed previously... Google Voice.. If I wanted to block my name, I would just block my caller ID altogether.

cvtek
@optonline.net

cvtek to jpr281

Anon

to jpr281
Cablevision uses a third party vender for caller ID information. They pay another company for the info. I have been to customers houses where they tell me some relatives number is coming up with the name of the person that lived there before, and their relatives have had the number for over a year.

Customer service sends me out there to fix this problem. I wonder what they think I could do???

RickNY
Premium Member
Bellport, NY

1 edit

RickNY

Premium Member

said by cvtek :

they tell me some relatives number is coming up with the name of the person that lived there before
I always chuckle when people say this.. And so many people do it, you just never realize it -- phone numbers aren't associated with 'the person that lived there before' People say it all the time, like they are referring to mail addressed to the previous occupant.. I just find it amusing.

Anyway -- my sister's number used to come up with the name of the person that had the phone number before her on OV. I opened up a post in the OOL Direct forum, and they submitted a change request in for me and it was fixed.

CVtek
@optonline.net

CVtek

Anon

said by RickNY:

said by cvtek :

they tell me some relatives number is coming up with the name of the person that lived there before
I always chuckle when people say this.. And so many people do it, you just never realize it -- phone numbers aren't associated with 'the person that lived there before' People say it all the time, like they are referring to mail addressed to the previous occupant.. I just find it amusing.

Anyway -- my sister's number used to come up with the name of the person that had the phone number before her on OV. I opened up a post in the OOL Direct forum, and they submitted a change request in for me and it was fixed.
and it is exactly what they say. I even had one lady say that her son "even gets the guys mail". I think in that case it may have been a roomate and they did a name change on the phone. If not that would be VERY coincidental.
Expand your moderator at work

RickNY
Premium Member
Bellport, NY

RickNY to jpr281

Premium Member

to jpr281

Re: [Optimum Voice] How often does OV update its Caller ID datab

I should have added that in regards to the problem with my sister's phone number -- she had the phone number for at least 3 years before I got OV.. So the data CV had on the number was very much out of date or inaccurate as far as the name. When she called me when I had Vonage and Verizon, the name showed up properly.
jpr281
Shirley, NY

jpr281

Over the past few days there's been at least 3 numbers with the wrong CNAM displayed. How is this acceptable?

momcat1
No Relation To The Bobcat
join:2002-10-21
Wappingers Falls, NY

momcat1 to jpr281

to jpr281
The CV databases are not an accurate measure of anything. I frequently see numbers of family members sometimes come through correctly, and other come through as total garbage. Sometimes as blocked calls, which they are not, sometimes no ID at all. It's a crap shoot, what you'll see.