uniqs

RobinM
Premium Member
join:2001-10-24
Lupton City, TN

RobinM

Premium Member

Setting up wireless router

Hope I am in the right place. I need to set up a wireless router using Fiber. I have EPB fiber and a Linksys wireless router. Can someone either help me or point me in the direction of where to get help setting the router up to work with my fiber connection? Should I call my ISP? Or should I call Linksys? I am at a complete loss as to how to get this thing set up.

My son wants to use it so he can have his friends over to play WoW together. Thanks to anyone that can help me.

Duchess
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

1 edit

davidhoffman

Premium Member

When the EPB technicians installed the fiber optic system, did they install an ethernet jack/connection on the inside of your home? If so, you would probably run an ethernet cable from that jack to the WAN port connection on the Linksys. Did you also sign up for the TV portion of EPB Fiber? If they only put in the coaxial connection for the television portion of system, that presents a different situation. Would you tell us the model of Linksys you have? If you have already got the Linksys hooked up with the cables we can go from there.

RobinM
Premium Member
Lupton City, TN

RobinM

Premium Member

said by davidhoffman:

When the EPB technicians installed the fiber optic system, did they install an ethernet jack/connection on the inside of your home? If so, you would probably run an ethernet cable from that jack to the WAN port connection on the Linksys. Did you also sign up for the TV portion of EPB Fiber? If they only put in the coaxial connection for the television portion of system, that presents a different situation. Would you tell us the model of Linksys you have? If you have already got the Linksys hooked up with the cables we can go from there.
Yes they did install a jack on the inside of the house. Yes I did..that and phone service. It's my son's router and I can't get in his room to check exactly, but I seem to remember something like "WRTG54". Does that sound right? I don't have anything hooked up yet. I am not even sure where to start. I do have a wired router hooked up right now, so I am hoping that it will be an easy switch to wireless.
Thanks
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to RobinM

Premium Member

to RobinM

linksys wrt54g
WRT54G looks like this:
davidhoffman

1 edit

davidhoffman to RobinM

Premium Member

to RobinM
You will have to get the exact model number as there are many iterations of this device. The exact version number should be somewhere on the dataplate or datatag.

RobinM
Premium Member
Lupton City, TN

RobinM to davidhoffman

Premium Member

to davidhoffman
said by davidhoffman:

WRT54G looks like this:
Yes, that's the one. TY
RobinM

RobinM to davidhoffman

Premium Member

to davidhoffman
said by davidhoffman:

You will have to get the exact model number as there are many iterations of this device. The exact version number should be somewhere on the dataplate or datatag.
"WRT54G V8"
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to RobinM

Premium Member

to RobinM
Good, I had already downloaded the Version 8 manual. Is this a new in the box unit that came with the manual and the installation CD? What type of operating system do you have on the computer that is already hooked to the wired router? Windows XP, Vista, 7? Apple Leopard, Snow Leopard? If Windows do you have Internet Explorer 7 or 8? If Apple do you have the latest Safari installed?

RobinM
Premium Member
Lupton City, TN

3 edits

RobinM to davidhoffman

Premium Member

to davidhoffman
said by davidhoffman:

Good, I had already downloaded the Version 8 manual. Is this a new in the box unit that came with the manual and the installation CD? What type of operating system do you have on the computer that is already hooked to the wired router? Windows XP, Vista, 7? Apple Leopard, Snow Leopard? If Windows do you have Internet Explorer 7 or 8? If Apple do you have the latest Safari installed?
No it doesn't have a CD with it. I have Windows Vista Home Premium. I use FireFox 3.58. But this is going on my son's computer in his room. Can we work it that way? The main computer has the wired router but I am hoping we can put the wireless in my son's room so he can play games with his friends in his room on his computer. Is that possible? If so he uses Internet Explorer 8

Thanks for helping me.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to RobinM

Premium Member

to RobinM
I need clarification on what is being attempted. Does your son have an installed jack from EPB Fiber in his room? Is this in addition to the EPB Fiber jack that is used for your computer? Or was there an ethernet cable run from the wired router into your son's room? The WRT54G needs to get an internet signal from somewhere. If you have a EPB jack in your son's room then that is one place. If you ran an ethernet cable from your wired router to the WRT54G that is another possibility. The WRT54G would have to be located in the same place as your wired router unless you are going to run the cable from the wired router to your son's room. Also need to know what make and model your son's computer is.

RobinM
Premium Member
Lupton City, TN

4 edits

RobinM

Premium Member

said by davidhoffman:

I need clarification on what is being attempted. Does your son have an installed jack from EPB Fiber in his room? Is this in addition to the EPB Fiber jack that is used for your computer? Or was there an ethernet cable run from the wired router into your son's room? The WRT54G needs to get an internet signal from somewhere. If you have a EPB jack in your son's room then that is one place. If you ran an ethernet cable from your wired router to the WRT54G that is another possibility. The WRT54G would have to be located in the same place as your wired router unless you are going to run the cable from the wired router to your son's room. Also need to know what make and model your son's computer is.
I'm sorry this is so messed up. I will try my best to straighten it out.

Ok, what he has in his room is this:
2 wires coming up from the floor. One black, one gray.
A small white box that has one black wire and one (what looks like) Ethernet cable coming out of it. The box has Cat5 written on it. I think it's some type of splitter. But it's not like the cable splitters. It's bigger. About the size of my palm.
From what I understand of these things, it looks like they have basically just put a splitter in his room for the wired router. So that we don't have to run our own cables all over the house to his room. They just did what we could do but a lot neater and simpler.
He has a Dell Inspiron 531. Also if it matters, he uses IE8.

So from what you say, since he has that cable in his room(ethernet), it could be possible to put it in his room? I don't mind it my living room, but all the activity would be in his room. He will have all his friends and they will be playing WoW in there. And, his room is all the way across the house from where the computer is. I am not sure how this works but I would think the signal would not make it all the way in there? Or am I wrong?

Thanks again for helping me I hope I have cleared things a bit.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to RobinM

Premium Member

to RobinM

Fiber Connections
Does the black wire coming out of the box look like any of these?
davidhoffman

davidhoffman to RobinM

Premium Member

to RobinM
The signal from the WRT54G might be able to make it from one end to the other, but putting it in his room would be best for signal quality. I think we can proceed with the Ethernet cable coming out of the palm box. I did not find any information warning about the black cable. It would be nice to find out from EPB what the black one is for.

First connect the Ethernet cable from the palm box to the internet port on the WRT54G. Connect an Ethernet cable from the Dell Inspiron 531 to one of the 4 Ethernet LAN ports on the WRT54G.

To access the web-based utility, launch the web browser on
your computer, and enter the Router’s default IP address,
192.168.1.1, in the Address field. Then, press Enter.
A password request screen will appear. Leave the User name field blank. The first time you open the Web-based utility, use
the default password admin. (You can set a new password
from the Administration tab’s Management screen.) Click
OK to continue.
davidhoffman

davidhoffman to RobinM

Premium Member

to RobinM
Internet Setup
The Internet Setup section configures the Router to your
Internet connection. Most of this information can be
obtained through your ISP.

Internet Connection Type

Select the type of Internet connection your ISP provides
from the drop-down menu. The available types are:
Automatic Configuration - DHCP
Static IP
PPPoE
PPTP
L2TP
Telstra Cable
Automatic Configuration - DHCP
By default, the Router’s Internet Connection Type is set
to Automatic Configuration - DHCP, which should be
kept only if your ISP supports DHCP or you are connecting
through a dynamic IP address. (This option usually applies
to cable connections.)
Internet Connection Type > Automatic Configuration - DHCP

Leave in the default setting for DHCP unless EPB told you differently.
davidhoffman

davidhoffman to RobinM

Premium Member

to RobinM
Do you have the manual for the WRT54G? If not, can you down load it from »www.linksysbycisco.com/U ··· download so you can follow along?

RobinM
Premium Member
Lupton City, TN

2 edits

RobinM

Premium Member

Ok...looks like the site is back up (hope).

Man I had a whole post typed out and looks like they ate it!!

The wire looks like a common cable cord. The black thick one with a nut on the end and a very small pin in the center of it to connect. I will contact EPB tomorrow and find out exactly what the cord is. I am thinking they just used the existing cable wires from Comcast that were here already. The only other cable is the ethernet one that is on the other side of the white box. Maybe I can get a pic of it and post it? Would that help things?

Son is asleep now so I will have to start on this in the morning. Thanks so much for your help so far. I will download the manual tonite and look through it.

Then tomorrow hopefully we can catch each other and get this done. Is there a better way we can do this? This seems a little difficult. Perhaps I can give u my email address?

Thanks
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

The black one is common coax cable . We can ignore it. It might be television from Comcast or from EPB. I was worried they had incorporated some kind of separate up and down link or powered modem requirement. No picture required. E-mail would be just as slow if not worse. I have AT&T DSL and the mail servers are just incredibly unresponsive. Once you get the manual downloaded. You can attempt to follow the instructions on your own.

RobinM
Premium Member
Lupton City, TN

RobinM

Premium Member

Ok..on the version that I need to download. I just need to make sure what I am thinking is correct. The ".0" etc doesn't really matter? Because all this has on the box is V8. No point anything. Or is there a way to get the rest of it?
RobinM

RobinM to davidhoffman

Premium Member

to davidhoffman
And..when looking at the videos on the linksys site on how to connect the router, should I think of the white box when they are talking about the "Modem"? Because he doesn't have a modem in his room..and neither do I to be exact. they just connected my computer from the wall which I have no experience with. I have had Comcast for years so I know about that one, but this is different.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to RobinM

Premium Member

to RobinM
Yes get the 8.0 version. Yes think of the white box as the modem. In the Fiber To The Home (FTTH) set up you have there is no modem like for DSL or cable.

RobinM
Premium Member
Lupton City, TN

RobinM

Premium Member

OK great. TY soo much for your help!
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to RobinM

Premium Member

to RobinM
When you are all done getting set up you could be the 2nd poster in the EPB Forum at »EPB Fiber Optics. What service speed did you select? Going to EPB's website and seeing 15Mbps DL/15Mbps UL as the lowest tier is so so strange to us stuck with AT&T DSL or COX cable.

RobinM
Premium Member
Lupton City, TN

RobinM

Premium Member

David, we have tried everything we can think of. The computer is hooked to the internet and gets signal, the router is plugged in to the ethernet cable from the floor, that's plugged in to the computer, the lights are all on and the Wan and 1 lights are flickering like there is activity, but it won't connect. Is there some other setting we need to do? He has turned off his Windows firewall just in case that was the issue. What should we set the DHCP to? Automatic is what it is set on right now.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Ok, good to hear from you. I am going to ask the moderator to switch this discussion over to the Wireless forum(»Wireless Networking) where there are a lot of posters with a better grasp of this.

RobinM
Premium Member
Lupton City, TN

RobinM

Premium Member

Ok ty. Yea my son got frustrated and said "forget it mom" and unhooked everything last time. Now today I guess he's changed his mind again LOL.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Try calling EPB support at (423) 648-1EPB (1372). Or if they gave you another number for technical support, use that. They may know which settings to use.

RobinM
Premium Member
Lupton City, TN

RobinM

Premium Member

I called and all they could tell me was it is "Automatic DHCP" and to call Linksys for support. The wireless is out of warrenty period so they wouldn't do anything anyway.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Ok, no one here is responding. Try starting a new topic in the Linksys Forum at »Linksys. Maybe someone there can help.