how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

psuscott0483

join:2010-02-28

2 edits

Service Electric Cable + Motorola Surfboard SB5101 Blinking

I just got service electric cable. the motorola sb5101 they gave me looks like it was used before, there are scratches on it. so when i noticed the activity lights performing oddly i thought something might be wrong. the internet appears to work fine, even now with the lights blinking weird. i have connectivity on all my devices. here are the lights:

power - on
receive - on
send - steady blink
online - off
pc/activity - rapid blink
standby - off

now if i power down the modem and turn it back on, the send goes to on and so does the online. it is after a few hours the online goes off, and the send starts to blink slowly/steadily.

anyone know what this might mean?

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium
join:2006-04-14
Gautier, MS
Reviews:
·Vonage
·CableOne

1 edit
It's normal for the pc/activity light to constantly blink since most cable ISPs use ARP traffic to keep track of what's on their network.

However, if the SEND light is steadily blinking yet you're able to continue surfing, that's an odd issue. If you're unable to surf while it's blinking this indicates an upstream problem. Make sure all of your connections to the cable modem are tight and that there aren't any excess splitters going through the modem.

If the online light is off then you shouldn't be able to surf at all. You might have just gotten a beat up modem or something if you're able to surf regardless...

Go to »192.168.100.1/signal.html and post your stats back here.
--
ISP: CableOne 5 mbit/500 kbit

psuscott0483

join:2010-02-28

1 edit
it is strange that i see no loss in connectivity. my vpn connection on my laptop is very sensitive and it hasnt disconnected once in 12hrs. i just ran a speedtest though, and the day it was installed (friday) i was seeing 10mb down, 1mb up and now i get 2.5down 1 up. ill post the log a bit later i am going through a router so i have to unhook everything to hookup to the modem directly and i have a few things running at the moment.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2

2 edits
reply to psuscott0483
Check your power levels at »192.168.100.1 If you are within range you have nothing to worry about.

When I had the surfboard it blinked constantly, as does the DPC2505 I now have from SE Cable. It's normal.

If you sniff the traffic there are indeed a lot of arp packets as well as bootp/dhcp, even showing the names of some config files... what's funny is that occasionally you'll see "abuse.cm" flying by which is probably an abuse config used for whatever reason.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3
reply to psuscott0483
My Dad has Service Electric in Fleetwood, PA and a SB5100 series modem. His Activity light ALWAYS blinks, even when the PC is off. Must be how service electric runs their hfc network.

I had a similar one on Comcast at one point, and the Activity light only blinked when there was actual uploading or downloading going on. Same for a Motorola SBV5220 voice modem. Now I have an Arris tm702g data/voice modem and it also only blinks when there is actual traffic passing through it.

I almost think the Motorola SB5100 series has a bug in a revision of their firmware that SECV uses.
Expand your moderator at work

jessica19087

@ptd.net
reply to psuscott0483

VPN issues

Hi, All,

To piggyback, any reason why I can never get on my company's VPN when here in the Valley using my parents' SEC Internet? It gets stuck at "Aquiring IP".

Thanks,

--jessica

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
What kind of VPN is it?

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to psuscott0483

Re: Service Electric Cable + Motorola Surfboard SB5101 Blinking

On service electric the activity like will range from solid to rapid blink and anything between. When the online light is off its a provisioning issue at the office. Doesnt always mean your offline but your probably going to be surfing slower in those conditions. Blinking send light you shouldnt even be online. Most of servicese area is brand new and still subject to balancing issues.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
reply to jessica19087

Re: VPN issues

Are you power cycling the modem before you try to connect? After plugging the computer in just pull the power plug to the modem and powercycle it.

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
reply to psuscott0483

Re: Service Electric Cable + Motorola Surfboard SB5101 Blinking

For some reason my blinking stopped.

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
reply to rody_44
said by rody_44:

Blinking send light you shouldnt even be online. Most of servicese area is brand new and still subject to balancing issues.
Fast or slow blink?

I had a fast blink on mine and my connection worked just fine.