spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Cralb

@rr.com

[Internet] Bright House Orlando problems.

I'm getting disconnected every 2 hours or so just for a enough time to ruin a download or disconnect me from a game and ventrillo. I'm just wondering if anyone else is having this issue. It started a week ago.

cableguy0
Premium
join:2009-01-20
kudos:6
Even if someone in here were having the same problem as you it would not be related unless they happened to be your next door neighbor. If the problem continues I would schedule a service call.
--
GIT R DONE

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:151
reply to Cralb
Before this gets to the point of making you angry please call Bright House and have them take a look at it. Also if you have a router it is possible the router is buggy. Try removing the router for a day or two and see if the issue goes away. In the meantime your first priority is to call the provider and have them take a look.

padink

join:2010-05-10
Altamonte Springs, FL
reply to Cralb
I have the same problem, but mine has gone on for months. Not sure if it's worth going through the assured hassle of making that call to Brighthouse. I'm in Altamonte, using a Scientific Atlanta 2100 Router.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by padink:

I have the same problem, but mine has gone on for months. Not sure if it's worth going through the assured hassle of making that call to Brighthouse. I'm in Altamonte, using a Scientific Atlanta 2100 Router.
While it might not be your favorite thing in the world to do isn't it far less frustrating than letting this go on for months? Why would you do that? If its not working let them check things and get somebody out there to fix it so it operates as it should. Service calls are free and they can surely match you to a timeframe thats decent.

I understand your frustration but you can't expect things to get better complaining about it here and not giving the provider a chance to fix it.

Thade

join:2009-12-16
Orlando, FL
reply to Cralb
I'm not sure if this is related to your issues, but it sure feels like it. I got the service a week ago and it was disconnecting me from games as well as just the internet. But, it can be throughout the day.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by Thade:

I'm not sure if this is related to your issues, but it sure feels like it. I got the service a week ago and it was disconnecting me from games as well as just the internet. But, it can be throughout the day.
It's not Thade and lets keep your issue back to your original thread if possible. That way it doesn't get confusing. Thanks!

caseynsb

join:2008-11-11
Orlando, FL
reply to Cralb
I've had the same issue for about two years now.

I work from home a majority of the time and need to be on a VPN session the entire time. There are very brief outages that seem to occur about every 3-4 hours, but sometimes multiple times an hour (especially between 6-9PM). These cause me to lose vpn, or any open RDP sessions (even with public terminal servers). Other computers on the network are also affected.

The outage is very short, probably under 10 seconds, so a normal user wouldn't notice as web surfing would remain mostly fine, and most videos buffer beyond that point.

I've had the following done:
4 New modems, Switched to bright house business class (which required a new modem as well, for static IP), switched back to regular Turbo, changed cabling, relocated modem/router. I've also had roughly 20-30 tech visits.

Escalated to regional ops, and they had a few truck rolls and eventually fixed a 'major issue on my node'). This fixed a lot of my speed issues, but not the disconnections.

I've tried multiple routers, and even confirmed it happens when directly connected. It's impossible to replicate, which makes troubleshooting or dealing with support pretty impossible.

My current router is a WRT54GL with Tomato, and I watch logs for when this happens, and my router keeps connectivity with the modem the entire time, but all packets get lost.

These are the errors I see on my modem very frequently that don't look major (time/date's are off on all of them):

1970-01-01 00:00:15 3-Critical D003.0 DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
2010-05-20 16:39:18 3-Critical R002.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out (US 1)
2010-05-20 15:04:30 3-Critical D003.0 DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.

If any BHN/RR people read this and could help, send me a PM

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by caseynsb:

I've had the same issue for about two years now.

I work from home a majority of the time and need to be on a VPN session the entire time. There are very brief outages that seem to occur about every 3-4 hours, but sometimes multiple times an hour (especially between 6-9PM). These cause me to lose vpn, or any open RDP sessions (even with public terminal servers). Other computers on the network are also affected.

The outage is very short, probably under 10 seconds, so a normal user wouldn't notice as web surfing would remain mostly fine, and most videos buffer beyond that point.

I've had the following done:
4 New modems, Switched to bright house business class (which required a new modem as well, for static IP), switched back to regular Turbo, changed cabling, relocated modem/router. I've also had roughly 20-30 tech visits.

Escalated to regional ops, and they had a few truck rolls and eventually fixed a 'major issue on my node'). This fixed a lot of my speed issues, but not the disconnections.

I've tried multiple routers, and even confirmed it happens when directly connected. It's impossible to replicate, which makes troubleshooting or dealing with support pretty impossible.

My current router is a WRT54GL with Tomato, and I watch logs for when this happens, and my router keeps connectivity with the modem the entire time, but all packets get lost.

These are the errors I see on my modem very frequently that don't look major (time/date's are off on all of them):

1970-01-01 00:00:15 3-Critical D003.0 DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
2010-05-20 16:39:18 3-Critical R002.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out (US 1)
2010-05-20 15:04:30 3-Critical D003.0 DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.

If any BHN/RR people read this and could help, send me a PM
This is a stretch but is it possible that maybe its your destination point initiating the disconnects? Just a thought...honestly without looking at everything in great detail there is no way for me offer any suggestions.

caseynsb

Orlando, FL
said by BHNtechXpert:

This is a stretch but is it possible that maybe its your destination point initiating the disconnects? Just a thought...honestly without looking at everything in great detail there is no way for me offer any suggestions.
I don't think that's the case because at the same time completely isolated systems also disconnect. Xbox live, windows games, AIM, and so-on.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by caseynsb:

said by BHNtechXpert:

I don't think that's the case because at the same time completely isolated systems also disconnect. Xbox live, windows games, AIM, and so-on.
Ahh well you left that part out of your original post

botld92z9

join:2006-07-14
Winter Springs, FL
kudos:1
reply to Cralb
I'm not in Orlando proper but I'm outside orlando in the same market. Not having any issues here. I stay RDPed into my home box from work 8-9 hours a day with no disconnects and someone who works from home here is VPN into their work 8 hours a day with no disconnects.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 edit
reply to Cralb
Nevermind....I was gonna ask about routers but I missed your other post about that....Let me ponder some more.

mystery45

join:2001-06-13
Titusville, FL
reply to Cralb
quote:
I'm getting disconnected every 2 hours or so just for a enough time to ruin a download or disconnect me from a game and ventrillo. I'm just wondering if anyone else is having this issue. It started a week ago.
A couple of questions does your cable modem stay on and lit or does it cycle and go off?

if you reboot the modem does it come back on or does it just come back on it's own.

it could be several things. signal issue etc.

if the modem is kicking off then on again it is a signal problem and you need a service call. otherwise it could be a router or something else you might be using.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Cralb
said by Cralb :

Have you scheduled that service call yet and what did they find?

caseynsb

Orlando, FL

3 edits
reply to Cralb
Just to follow-up, as I had a DC at 1:22 PM EST today, the logs do line up 1:1 with the disconnections:

2010-05-23 17:22:46 3-Critical D003.0 DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
2010-05-23 17:22:40 3-Critical R002.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out (US 2)

I'm also on the phone with bright house internet support now, but I'm getting the old runaround where they say more of my neighbors have to call in for them to seriously look at the issue. The tech did understand the problem and agreed that it is likely a waste of time to keep sending techs to my house.

However, they cannot do anything without sending another tech out to my house to not see a problem.

Also, the supervisor argued with me that the logs on the Modem were actually my Linksys logs, and that 192.168.100.1 is my router IP, not the cable modem. My internal IP scope is 10.195.1.x. I told him I don't want to waste time arguing over what I'm looking at and can email him a screenshot but he just ignored that request.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 edit
said by caseynsb:

Just to follow-up, as I had a DC at 1:22 PM EST today, the logs do line up 1:1 with the disconnections:

2010-05-23 17:22:46 3-Critical D003.0 DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
2010-05-23 17:22:40 3-Critical R002.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out (US 2)

I'm also on the phone with bright house internet support now, but I'm getting the old runaround where they say more of my neighbors have to call in for them to seriously look at the issue. The tech did understand the problem and agreed that it is likely a waste of time to keep sending techs to my house.

However, they cannot do anything without sending another tech out to my house to not see a problem.

Also, the supervisor argued with me that the logs on the Modem were actually my Linksys logs, and that 192.168.100.1 is my router IP, not the cable modem. My internal IP scope is 10.195.1.x. I told him I don't want to waste time arguing over what I'm looking at and can email him a screenshot but he just ignored that request.
Sigh...

Honestly I'm not worried about your modem logs for a number of reasons but obviously there is something going on. To some degree they are right, the tech does need to be able to see the issue and honestly sometimes thats much harder than you think with intermittent issues. Continue to have the techs come out and they also need to place you on something called "whatsupgold" for lets say a week. This will help them isolate the issue. If they haven't done so already please call them back, ask for the same supervisor and tell him you want to be placed on WUG for a week.

In the meantime I want you to hook up with cableguy here and see what he can do for you.

botld92z9

join:2006-07-14
Winter Springs, FL
kudos:1
said by BHNtechXpert:

Continue to have the techs come out and they also need to place you on something called "whatsupgold" for lets say a week. This will help them isolate the issue.
definitely needs to be done.

caseynsb

Orlando, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
I agree regarding the logs as they don't really have much to work with. The logic behind them on the call was to hope maybe they have something on their end they can check out at the time frames my outages have.

I have a tech visit scheduled for 2-4 tomorrow, so once they come (and likely say there's nothing wrong and maybe reboot and offer to replace my modem), I'll call them back and ask for another Supervisor and bring up WUG.

To those also having an issue, try to note your times as well as close as possible.

Thanks guys

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by caseynsb:

I agree regarding the logs as they don't really have much to work with. The logic behind them on the call was to hope maybe they have something on their end they can check out at the time frames my outages have.

I have a tech visit scheduled for 2-4 tomorrow, so once they come (and likely say there's nothing wrong and maybe reboot and offer to replace my modem), I'll call them back and ask for another Supervisor and bring up WUG.

To those also having an issue, try to note your times as well as close as possible.

Thanks guys
Lets get through tomorrow and see what happens and we'll take it from there. Be careful on replacing the modem...honestly right now we have a limited unknowns that we need to work through...you go changing the modem and then you add that into the mix. The process of elimination will eventually get to the modem but we're not quite there yet.

caseynsb

Orlando, FL
Yeah I don't WANT to replace it. But, the truck roll folk always seem to look at that first and talk me into replacing it. Will update late tomorrow

mystery45

join:2001-06-13
Titusville, FL
reply to Cralb
quote:
But, the truck roll folk always seem to look at that first and talk me into replacing it.
that is because that is the easiest thing for them to do. it won't solve the problem if there is a signal issue in which of course it looks like it.

the problem with the signal is either from the drop to the house a splitter or something at the headend.

we were able to see the whole cmts and i could tell what your other neighbors were like if they were up or down or if it was just a signal issue.

most of the time it was a dirty or bad signal. it could be the splitter that is on your line is bad as well.

caseynsb

Orlando, FL
Update:
Tech came and modem has no issues, house looks good, and he went straight to the tap. He changed faceplate and fitting there.

He was very helpful and didn't try to BS me, which I appreciate.

He is going to pass it on to his lead/supervisor when he gets in the office and have them monitor. I'm going to watch and hope no disconnects ever happen again, but if they do, I'll ask to go on WUG on my next call, and proceed to go up the chain. I just wish there was a way to avoid the cycle of service calls.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by caseynsb:

Update:
Tech came and modem has no issues, house looks good, and he went straight to the tap. He changed faceplate and fitting there.

He was very helpful and didn't try to BS me, which I appreciate.

He is going to pass it on to his lead/supervisor when he gets in the office and have them monitor. I'm going to watch and hope no disconnects ever happen again, but if they do, I'll ask to go on WUG on my next call, and proceed to go up the chain. I just wish there was a way to avoid the cycle of service calls.
To a point there is, it just depends on the issue. 9 times out of 10 a single tech resolves all issues. Your case is unfortunate and obviously difficult to diagnose. Let me know if things don't improve.

cabledawg13

join:2010-05-24
Oviedo, FL
reply to padink
you have a scientific atlanta 'cable modem' not a router.

Jmr442

@rr.com
reply to Cralb
I am new to BH and have the same problem, I called the tech line and they said the issue is router configuration. I have tried two different routers and both keep losing their internet connection. If I go directly to the cable modem it works fine. I have seen a feed that said BH only allows one mac address and it must be set to the router. Can anyone tell me how to accomplish that?

Menph

@rr.com
reply to Cralb
We live over in east orlando near UCF area as well. Past couple weeks we've been experiencing the exact same issues. Connection dropoffs for 5-10 seconds at a time, usually several times per hour.

Tried everything I could think of, replaced modem with one of my own, several different routers, even without router connections would still drop. We use all wired connections, so wireless is not an issue. Only one cable drop running into our apartment, and we've tried disconnecting the splitter/swapping coax and leaving only the cable modem connected to no avail.

When the problem happens, the modem doesn't physically go out and it's usually not long enough to disconnect from games, but it is a lag spike that can be quite annoying. We have a tech scheduled to come out on Friday, but I doubt he'll be able to do anything.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by Menph :

We live over in east orlando near UCF area as well. Past couple weeks we've been experiencing the exact same issues. Connection dropoffs for 5-10 seconds at a time, usually several times per hour.

Tried everything I could think of, replaced modem with one of my own, several different routers, even without router connections would still drop. We use all wired connections, so wireless is not an issue. Only one cable drop running into our apartment, and we've tried disconnecting the splitter/swapping coax and leaving only the cable modem connected to no avail.

When the problem happens, the modem doesn't physically go out and it's usually not long enough to disconnect from games, but it is a lag spike that can be quite annoying. We have a tech scheduled to come out on Friday, but I doubt he'll be able to do anything.
You need to call back and also have them put you in something called WUG or "whats up gold" for no less than a week. That will quickly aid in determining the problem and where.

Zoney

join:2004-10-13
Longwood, FL
Having the same issue here. Having been thru the "priority" people already, what's the "whats up gold"?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by Zoney:

Having the same issue here. Having been thru the "priority" people already, what's the "whats up gold"?
See my post in your thread.