Arlington, TX

motorola870

central PA world of more updates

Starting a new topic.

ReadingWatch
@comcast.net

ReadingWatch

Anon

Today is March 1, 2010, so where is the 30 day announcement for Reading, does anyone know what channels are going to be taken off of Analog first, because around here nobody knows nothing about it, so you better get the information out!!!! I just wish that the comcast People here at this site would just give us the information that we deserve, is this not against the Law not to tell your customers what you are doing to your customers!!! I mean the Freedom region tells them what channels get taken off and what NEW HD they put on, why can not Central PA do this too!!

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to motorola870

MVM

to motorola870
Lancaster, PA is starting World of More transition. DTA's are now available and will be handed out in all new installs where needed. By the end of April or Early May it should be transitioned. More information to follow.

York will start issuing Cisco compatable DTA's sometime around Memorial Day.

Call 877-634-4434 to order your 2 free Digital Terminal Adapters now. They will be shipped to your house and the installation is a piece of cake. Check Channel 902 if you have at least one regular digital box today to see the loop video on DTA installation, or check the Help & Services section on demand.

You can also visit: »digitalnow.comcast.com/ to electronically order your two free digital adapters to be shipped to your home without picking up the phone.
Chad473
join:2007-12-18
Lancaster, PA

1 edit

Chad473

according to the letter sent last week, April 20 is the date given for picking up DTA's to avoid "interruption of services" in Lancaster.
LeftyJR
join:2008-02-19
Avis, PA

LeftyJR to cypherstream

to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

Lancaster, PA is starting World of More transition. DTA's are now available and will be handed out in all new installs where needed. By the end of April or Early May it should be transitioned. More information to follow.

York will start issuing Cisco compatable DTA's sometime around Memorial Day.

Call 877-634-4434 to order your 2 free Digital Terminal Adapters now. They will be shipped to your house and the installation is a piece of cake. Check Channel 902 if you have at least one regular digital box today to see the loop video on DTA installation, or check the Help & Services section on demand.

You can also visit: »digitalnow.comcast.com/ to electronically order your two free digital adapters to be shipped to your home without picking up the phone.
For those of you in the Williamsport system, we are on the same schedule as York, as per my conversation with Comcast last week. Looking good for Memorial Day!
ryan21
join:2008-12-02
Reading, PA

ryan21 to motorola870

to motorola870
Any idea what HD's are being added to Reading at the end of the month?

Pullo9
join:2009-06-18
Reading, PA

Pullo9 to ReadingWatch

to ReadingWatch
Tuesday is Comcast's traditional day for placing ad's in the Reading Eagle for service announcements, but there was nothing in the paper today.If March 30th is the 1st analog cut day we're within the 30 day notice window.Shouldn't we expect a mailer soon and see crawlers on the affected channels?

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

said by Pullo9:

Shouldn't we expect a mailer soon and see crawlers on the affected channels?
I know... Givin Comcast's track record on the TV side of their buisness, I have an errie feeling something *may* be delayed. As soon as one of the employees finds out they will post.
Comcast Guy
join:2008-01-16
Harrisburg, PA

Comcast Guy to motorola870

to motorola870
I missed it, but Lancaster is inside 60 days. Notice should have been 2/24.
Comcast Guy

1 edit

to motorola870
Harrisburg West HD adds went in today:

BET HD 866
CBS COLLEGE HD 854
CMT HD 883
CNN HLN HD 816
ESPNU HD 853
HSN HD 812
IND PPV HD 785
INDGAME HD 786
INDTEAM HD 787
MSNBC HD 818
OUTDOOR HD 864
TCM HD 890
TENNIS HD 862
TMC HD 351
TRU TV HD 841

Edit: HBG Central got these today as well.
Marcus Carr
join:2009-04-08
Baltimore, MD

1 edit

Marcus Carr

MSNBC - just in time for the Olympics!
Comcast Guy
Harrisburg, PA

1 edit

to motorola870
Harrisburg East, Hershey and Millersburg are now 15 days out from analog cuts.
Chad473
Lancaster, PA

Chad473

millersville? aren't they served by the lancaster system?
Comcast Guy
Harrisburg, PA

Comcast Guy

said by Chad473:

millersville? aren't they served by the lancaster system?
Fixed.
Chad473
Lancaster, PA

Chad473

I figured as much. I was excited for a moment!

j jefferson3
@comcast.net

j jefferson3 to Comcast Guy

Anon

to Comcast Guy
According to cypherstream here are the systems affected in our area!!!

(Copy of his Response from another thread!!!)
Lebanon, Hershey and Harrisburg is done I believe, so that leaves State College, Phillipsburg, Lock Haven, Huntingdon, Mt Union, Lewistown, Lykens, Scranton, Dunmore, Nicholson-Newton, Towanda, Williamsport, Mill Hall, York, Hanover, Gettysburg, Newport, Reedsville, Reading, Pottsville, Millersburg, Carlisle, Chambersburg, Greencastles, Ft Louden, Waynesboro, Lancaster, Elizebethtown.

In truth only Lebanon is done
Harrisburg (The city itself is just done)
But they have to finish what they call the West shore
Then East shore, then Hershey (Originally to be done by Mid-March)
I think Comcast Guy meant to say then Carlisle, because it was always mention when they did news press about the changes in the Harrisburg Region!!!
Then as of the last plan it should be the following!!!
Reading, Millersburg, Lancaster,Elizebethtown, (York,Williamsport) assuming SA equipment Certified by Ready date!!!! and then Pottsville, every other system had a TBA (To be announced) but this was most likely changed, since this was as of Late January, i think all of Lower Central PA has Dates now, i just do know know them yet!!, since i was too busy getting information out of the Freedom region and was helping them get all their HD that they deserved, so i will now more focus on this Region, since freedom Region is almost done now!!!!
LeftyJR
Avis, PA

1 edit

LeftyJR

said by j jefferson3 :

According to cypherstream here are the systems affected in our area!!!

(Copy of his Response from another thread!!!)
Lebanon, Hershey and Harrisburg is done I believe, so that leaves State College, Phillipsburg, Lock Haven, Huntingdon, Mt Union, Lewistown, Lykens, Scranton, Dunmore, Nicholson-Newton, Towanda, Williamsport, Mill Hall, York, Hanover, Gettysburg, Newport, Reedsville, Reading, Pottsville, Millersburg, Carlisle, Chambersburg, Greencastles, Ft Louden, Waynesboro, Lancaster, Elizebethtown.

In truth only Lebanon is done
Harrisburg (The city itself is just done)
But they have to finish what they call the West shore
Then East shore, then Hershey (Originally to be done by Mid-March)
I think Comcast Guy meant to say then Carlisle, because it was always mention when they did news press about the changes in the Harrisburg Region!!!
Then as of the last plan it should be the following!!!
Reading, Millersburg, Lancaster,Elizebethtown, (York,Williamsport) assuming SA equipment Certified by Ready date!!!! and then Pottsville, every other system had a TBA (To be announced) but this was most likely changed, since this was as of Late January, i think all of Lower Central PA has Dates now, i just do know know them yet!!, since i was too busy getting information out of the Freedom region and was helping them get all their HD that they deserved, so i will now more focus on this Region, since freedom Region is almost done now!!!!
I thought that Lock Haven was done/close to done. It was on the same or similar schedule to Harrisburg.

Also, what is the ready date for the SA systems?

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

2 edits

cypherstream to j jefferson3

MVM

to j jefferson3
Yeah there's at least a local hub / mini headend in those area's unless they are doing a consolidation project along side of this. That's from my 2008 year end Comcast data.

Towanda was on stand alone then, not sure about now. They were (and maybe still are) getting everything from their own receiving station via HITS.

There's two other systems, Eagles Mere and Turbotville but they are tiny 450 MHz systems. Yes 450 MHz, analog only.
Comcast Guy
Harrisburg, PA

Comcast Guy to j jefferson3

to j jefferson3
DTAs for Carlisle were just made available on 2/25. They have a bit to go yet. 90 Day notification was just on 1/18.
Comcast Guy

to motorola870
90 Day notice for Chambersburg, Fort Louden, Waynesboro, and Greencastle.

DTAs available on or around April 1st.
npasta
join:2001-11-21
Mechanicsburg, PA

npasta to Comcast Guy

to Comcast Guy
said by Comcast Guy:

Harrisburg West HD adds went in today:

[list snipped]

Edit: HBG Central got these today as well.
I have these channels but they aren't identified by anything other than channel number, and all "To Be Announced" in the guide.

Note: I have TiVo, not a Comcast box. Is it that these channels haven't been "communicated" to TiVo's service to populate their guide data yet?

I'm in Hampden Township, the lineup on my TiVo is listed as "Harrisburg Suburban" (we had Suburban Cable in 1999, prior to Comcast).

psujim
join:2007-10-10
Reading, PA

psujim to motorola870

to motorola870
Got my "We're enhancing our network" brochure today in the mail here in Reading, showing first cuts as scheduled on or around March 30 and the 2nd on or around April 27

Cut 1:
AMC
Animal Planet
Bravo
E!
EWTN
Food
Hallmark
HGTV
Lifetime
MSNBC
PCN
ShopNBC
Syfy
TLC
Travel
TNT
TruTV
Weather
Versus

2nd:
A&E
ABCFamily
BET
CNBC
CNN
HLN
Comedy
Comcast SportsNet
Disney
Discovery
Discovery Health
ESPN
ESPN2
Fox News
Galavision
Golf
HSN
Nickelodeon
Speed
Spike
TBS
USA
VH1
ComcastTech
join:2008-05-31

ComcastTech to motorola870

to motorola870
reading cuts begin around 25 days from now

Pullo9
join:2009-06-18
Reading, PA

1 edit

Pullo9 to psujim

to psujim

Finally something good in the mail

Click for full size
Click for full size
Some channels missing from the list like FX,TV Land and MTV

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA

cypherstream

MVM

Ok so after the first round, assuming 3:1 Compression rates, there will be room for 57 new HD channels. That's just after ROUND 1.

This is great. I can't wait. Now that the end is in sight, there's no better time to be a Comcast customer!

J Jefferson3
@comcast.net

J Jefferson3

Anon

I did a Quick Reference Scan to see if they match up, and the Channels listed match exactly were they should be, so Comcast dd not make any mistakes on that part, however i counted the numbers of Channels being removed from the Expanded basic and i added the 19 + 23 = 42 and on that side they came up a little short, even Comcast can not track every Expanded Basic Channel on Every system unlike yours truly here!!!!

Maybe these Channels may move to Limited Basic, but I think they just forgot about them!!! The So Called Forgotten Channels are!!!

Analog 39 FX
Analog 41 TV Land
Analog 49 M TV
Analog 54 Cartoon Network

p.s for all the Remaining Central PA zones that still had PCN in Analog, it will be removed on March 16, 2010 and be placed on Digital Channel 186, and this list was made before that announcement became public, so Reading could possibly lose that channel prior to March 30, 2010 and lose it on the 16th, but it's mostly just a technically since it is just 2 weeks difference!!!! So it Really does not matter in Reading, but does affect the others areas!!!!
LeftyJR
Avis, PA

LeftyJR

Will this open up some space for us SA/Cisco people?

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

1 edit

cypherstream to motorola870

MVM

to motorola870

Re: central PA world of more updates

What are they going to do with Ch 61? That's the Amp AGC Pilot frequency. Eliminate the carrier there and boom, all hell breaks loose with the amps trying to jack up their signals with nothing to reference on.

They will have to put something there, even if it's a black screen, just so the amps have a reference level for automatic gain control. Can't just put QAM there, QAM is usually -6db lower than analog. Amps will be over by 6db. No one's gonna run around and add 6db pad to the output's, or even change the agc module to QADU.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

are there any other channels that could do the AGC 39,41,49,54?

also cant they just use manual gain control?

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

1 edit

cypherstream

MVM

Click for full size
sa-agc-modules.pdf
173,518 bytes
Click for full size
sa-sw1-agc.pdf
54,110 bytes
said by motorola870:

are there any other channels that could do the AGC 39,41,49,54?

also cant they just use manual gain control?
Not without manually visiting every single AGC amplifier out there, which would take months.

There are TDU amps (Thermal Drive Unit) that vary the amplification based on temperature. These are usually used where the plant is underground, as temp swings are not as wide vs. aerial plant. They are also more common in area's with minimal temperature swings across the seasons.

See attachments for SA gear. (PDF)