Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

LeftyJR

join:2008-02-19
Avis, PA
reply to J Jefferson3

Re: central PA world of more updates

Jjefferson, I promise I won't bring up BBC America The channels I was referring to are available everywhere else in central pa - CMT HD and Root Sports HD. Trust me, I am happy to get to 90 and thankful for your insight!

ComcastTech

join:2008-05-31
reply to motorola870

two channels you don't need. BUT, i need bbc america in hd sometime soon...especially when theres a new season of top gear.

pacmantech

join:2009-10-29

So here's a question. How did WHP 21.2 get switched from channel 249 to channel 19 in the Central PA area? Comcast really needs to make up their mind as to where these digital subchannels will live. I think it makes sense for them to live in the lower-numbered channels...

LeftyJR

Avis, PA
reply to ComcastTech

Hey, Root Sports HD is something I need! The Pens are in the playoffs!

Walkerblack

join:2008-02-22
Lewistown, PA
reply to motorola870

So anything being done with the big black hole which is the juniata valley. In 2011 we still have no on -demand, and HD which you can count on one hand. Is comcast going to do what every other provider has done in past 15 years in Lewistown. They buy out old provider, take our money for a few years and sell out.
TCI --> ATT --> Adelphia --> Comcast. We have same digital lineup for past 10 years.

lynxexp

join:2010-08-17
kudos:1

said by Walkerblack:

So anything being done with the big black hole which is the juniata valley. In 2011 we still have no on -demand, and HD which you can count on one hand. Is comcast going to do what every other provider has done in past 15 years in Lewistown. They buy out old provider, take our money for a few years and sell out.
TCI --> ATT --> Adelphia --> Comcast. We have same digital lineup for past 10 years.

There are no plans at this time.

miscDude

join:2005-03-24
Kissimmee, FL
reply to Walkerblack

Your system was still controlled/run off the national platform which made it extremely difficult to make changes or upgrade the system. (the national system sat based system isn't capable of VOD i think). I've heard some rumors that they have been working to upgrade the system on the backend, and maybe even pull it into the same backend systems running the rest of central PA. I would think this would make it easier to upgrade the system going forward.

Sometimes, depending on the condition of the system and the backend infrastructure, a lot of work needs to go on in the background invisible to us before they can start making any significant improvements or changes that we can see.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3

1 edit

I think Towanda is still run from HITS also.

Wasn't the issue with Lewistown, getting proper redundant fiber interconnects from the central PA systems? Something about the river, distance or lay of the land that made it extremely difficult and expensive. Too bad they can't use multiple microwave links and aggregate the resultant links into what a fiber trunk would carry. I guess the closest pop for fiber would be State College, but you have to trudge through Rothrock State Forrest to get lines down to Lewistown. You might be able to follow 22 / 322 to some extent, but that's a bit of a hike and a heck of a job.

lynxexp

join:2010-08-17
kudos:1

Yeah, Towanda is still running off HITS.

ComcastTech

reply to cypherstream

and costly...btw i never told you we have our own CRAN in reading now we feed ourselves

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4

I feed myself too Sometimes with my hands, other times with a spoon, and if im feeling adventurous, a fork

Or are we talking about something else?

Chad473

join:2007-12-18
Lancaster, PA
reply to motorola870

how long has Root Sports HD been around? Some googling says it's the former FSN Pittsburgh. Just noticed it today.

psujim

join:2007-10-10
Reading, PA

said by Chad473:

how long has Root Sports HD been around? Some googling says it's the former FSN Pittsburgh. Just noticed it today.

That's correct. Was rebranded April 1.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
reply to ComcastTech

so reading now its own headend essentially running off of Comcast Media Center fiber connect?

ComcastTech

reply to Mike Wolf

lol yes.

Walkerblack

Lewistown, PA

1 recommendation

reply to cypherstream

I appreciate the info and I am not trying to be cynical but I specifically remember when comcast bought our system we would be upgraded to match other comcast areas. After 4 years I would think we would see some sort of improvement. State College had same line up as lewistown when comcast took over and they were upgraded and brought into 21st century with on demand and HD offerings. I am confused about how difficult it is to upgrade this area. Phillipsburg pa is 1/3 as large as lewistown and way out in mountains of Centre County but they have same offerings as State College. Huntingdon Pa is another example. If my rates match these areas which offer a superior product, I do have an issue. If it were not for internet, there would be no reason to to deal with comcast. I have patiently waited for years for at least HD service which is worth subscribing to. If comcast does not want to invest in this area then why buy it out.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA

said by Walkerblack:

I have patiently waited for years for at least HD service which is worth subscribing to. If comcast does not want to invest in this area then why buy it out.

Well now that I moved outside of Comcast reach, with DirecTV it looks like I will be patiently waiting for years for them to catch up on the HD Channel lineup. Seriously no HD for: E, Style, G4, TruTV, HI, ID, We, Oxygen, BBCA, AMC, and much more. So the grass is not always greener!

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

if they are waiting so much maybe they should help out by loaning out techs to speed up the process and talk to the channel providers about talking more forcefully with Comcast. I know it'd never happen but who knows?

Comcast is like a zombie. You have to beat it till it does what you want. (I couldn't think of any word but zombie that wouldn't offend someone)

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast
reply to Walkerblack

Walker-
I agree with you. As a PSU alumni, very familiar with that area. It's a pretty weak excuse if Comcast won't upgrade you.

You're hardly in a bad area - they could easily hook you up to State College.
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast

you have to get alot of people to want to sign up for hd service. If it is low income they might not want to put the time and money into upgrading the system. Kind of like people that live out in the country mostly don't have cable tv. Too expensive and most wouldn't switch from their antenna, BUD or DBS.

Walkerblack

Lewistown, PA

Lewistown area has 20000 plus people. As for being low income, Huntingdon pa is far more depressed area than lewistown so i can't buy that excuse. As for antenna, because of mountains there is no reception from harrisburg. Most people around me have direct or dish because of comcast.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

unfortunately I would just get satellite since Comcast isn't investing in your area anytime soon

LeftyJR

Avis, PA
reply to mikedz4

Mike, not everyone who lives in central PA is low income.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

I know that, I didn't even say they were

LeftyJR

Avis, PA
reply to mikedz4

said by mikedz4:

you have to get alot of people to want to sign up for hd service. If it is low income they might not want to put the time and money into upgrading the system. Kind of like people that live out in the country mostly don't have cable tv. Too expensive and most wouldn't switch from their antenna, BUD or DBS.

I was referring to this post! lol

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

huh?
you replyed to the wrong person

LeftyJR

Avis, PA

I must have clicked reply on your post by mistake!

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

cool

Davidr

@verizon.net
reply to cypherstream

said by cypherstream:

Wasn't the issue with Lewistown, getting proper redundant fiber interconnects from the central PA systems? Something about the river, distance or lay of the land that made it extremely difficult and expensive. Too bad they can't use multiple microwave links and aggregate the resultant links into what a fiber trunk would carry. I guess the closest pop for fiber would be State College, but you have to trudge through Rothrock State Forrest to get lines down to Lewistown. You might be able to follow 22 / 322 to some extent, but that's a bit of a hike and a heck of a job.

Cyber , cable companies stopped using microwave years ago

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

said by Davidr :

said by cypherstream:

Cyber , cable companies stopped using microwave years ago

there are still some microwave links today just in rural areas that can't receive locals OTA and they microwave them in from an area that can get them.