Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

drshock

join:2000-08-19
Wake Forest, NC

1 edit

[Info] WinXP NetBook Tweaking

Before I post test results I had a general question.

I have a large Cat6 central wired gigabit network in the house. Moto SB5220 widebody modem, D-Link DGL-4100 router, two D-Link DGS-2208 switches supporting 12 devices connected and all working and performing just fine on our Time Warner Roadrunner Turbo service (10000 down / 512 up).

Three of those devices are WinXP desktops, One a WinXP laptop, and one a Vista desktop. Rest are printers, DVD player, Xbox, HDTV. All PCs are delivering speed results in line with my service.

I recently added an Asus Eee PC netbook to the network. It has embedded WinXP. I have done the same tweak test adjusting for the other PCs but it simply will not perform.

Where the other WinXP/Vista boxes get from 9800 to 11300 down this netbook, even after following tweak test guidance and adjusting rwin, struggles to get 4500 down. Upload is in line with the others at 485.

So generic question - are these non-expandable netbooks just HW limited in their performance? The machine is brand new factory out of the box configuration.

If not, I'll repost the tweak/speed tests for this one device and see if someone can help me get it to the same download performance as the others.

Thanx,
--
Live for today....

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
There is no reason that the Asus Eee PC netbook cannot get decent speeds. Are you running this box wired or wireless? I am going to assume wireless as I look over your network.

Have you tried to run this in a wired mode and test your speeds.
--
"You can observe a lot by watching". Yogi Berra

drshock

Wake Forest, NC

1 edit
Wired is all I use. The D-Link DGL-4100 is a gigabit wired router, it does not do wireless.

I'll post some tweak tests then and see what it might be. Right now it's configured exactly in tweak test results like an older IBM ThinkPad that performs at 11300 / 465.

Tested within 10mins later the Asus netbooks' best performance has been 4500 / 485 - usually less than 4K down. The netbook is an Asus Eee PC 1000/H which has 1GB ram, WinXP SP2 embedded, Atheros on-board 10/100. It has a 900Mhz Intel processor, the Atom I believe. It's one of the rare ones that has wired ethernet.

This is on a speed test site on the Flash based test page that is only 200mi from my location.

--
Live for today....

drshock

Wake Forest, NC
Heres the tweak info asked for:

1. »/tweakr/block:···a=normal

2. Comcast @ Washington, DC 200 miles away - closest

3. »/linequality/nil/2624154
No ping though, have Warcraft tonight and don't want to disturb the router settings ahead of a raid

4. Cable, Roadrunner Turbo, Motorola SB5220

5. N/A

6. N/A

7. Windows XP embedded in netbook flash memory

8. 10000 / 512

9. LAN yes, 1 of 12 devices on an existing network

10. D-Link DGL-4100 wired gigabit router plus 2 D-Link DGS-2208 wired gigabit switches all on Cat6 cables including patch cables

11. N/A
--
Live for today....

Irish Shark
Premium,MVM
Las Vegas, NV
• Your receive packet is set to 1289; this should be 1500 just like your send packet.

• Check your router and make sure that it is set to 1500. If it is, try this.

Windows XP

This will reset the registry to default TCP/IP values.

Open a Command Prompt and type:
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Reboot.

• Now, retweak.

Download DrTcp

Set Tcp Receive Window to 64240

Set Windows Scaling, Time Stamping, Selective Acks, Path MTU Discovery, Black Hole Detection to Default.

Leave Max Duplicate Acks and TTL Blank

Using the drop-down menu in The Doctor set your NIC’s (Ethernet adapter’s) MTU to 1500.

Save/Exit DrTcp

Reboot

Rerun the Tweak Test

Run Two Speed Tests from the two DIFFERENT cities nearest to you that are listed here: Speakeasy POPs

Also, test here »ftp://ftp1.optonline.net/test512

Note your transfer rate after about 30 seconds. Then cancel the download.

Post the URL for the New Tweak Test. For the TWO Speakeasy Tests, Copy and Paste the speed results from those tests and note the speed from the FTP download test.
--

drshock

Wake Forest, NC
Good catch on the MTU, I didn't notice that! Retweaked and got this:

»/tweakr/block:···a=normal

Looks like it wants 94900 as the min RWIN still, I do not have the registry flag it asked me to check for.

I also was fortunate to find a 2009 update for the Atheros NIC driver from 2007 @ the Asus side and applied that. Between your advice and the new driver I got 9920 / 450 on best of three on that last test. Awesome!

Should I follow the tweak advice and make the RWIN 94900 or just ignore that warning?

Thanks for the help
--
Live for today....

Irish Shark
Premium,MVM
Las Vegas, NV
• The tweak test will fire off all kinds notes and recommendations. 64240 is fine for the RWIN. You can change it if you want, but I doubt that it will be any better than what you have. Just a nit: the RWIN is set to 64420 and not 64240. You can leave if you want.

• You got ahead of me. The NIC was the next place I was going to.

That’s about as good as it gets. It isn’t going to get much better than that. Put a fork in it you’re done.

»/r0/download/6···rib1.JPG
--