spc
Search similar:

uniqs

FuzzeWuzze
@verizon.net

FuzzeWuzze

Anon

FIOS Coax to Cat5E?

So when they first came out they installed Coax at my new house because i have TV.

Opening up my ONT outside i can see the Ethernet Jack with nothing plugged in and the coax coming from the MOCA spot out of the box and to a coax splitter to hook up the two connections(TV & Upstairs where the router is)

Can i simply plug in a ethernet cable into the box and pull the Cat5 myself? Or do i need to have them turn something on or change something and have them come out?

This Westell 9100EM router is a huge pain, with it auto adding port forwarding crap i dont want it to add. Its breaking a lot of games as its setting up port forwarding for things like EA games to a specific IP, so when the other IP tries to join it kicks the person playing and gives them a rule. Its getting ridiculous that i cant turn such a **bleep** feature off i just want to use my own router again if possible...

Specifically it is Battlefield BC2. Upon myself logging into the game the router creates a "EA Tunnel" port forwarding rule, even though UPNP is turned off the routers been rebooted, the whole work and verified..i can watch the port get added when i log in and refresh the screen. I read on the Verizon forums that this router automatically opens ports for known connection types and there is nothing you can do about it to turn it off.

Any help would be great

Thanks!

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

Your best option starts here. »Verizon FiOS FAQ »Replacing the Actiontec (part 1): Coax to Ethernet
and continues in either Part 3 or Part 4, depending on your TV service requirements. It does not require a truck roll.

Where you see reference to Actiontec, substitute the very similar Westell.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

1 edit

Smith6612 to FuzzeWuzze

MVM

to FuzzeWuzze
said by FuzzeWuzze :

This Westell 9100EM router is a huge pain, with it auto adding port forwarding crap i dont want it to add. Its breaking a lot of games as its setting up port forwarding for things like EA games to a specific IP, so when the other IP tries to join it kicks the person playing and gives them a rule. Its getting ridiculous that i cant turn such a **bleep** feature off i just want to use my own router again if possible...

Specifically it is Battlefield BC2. Upon myself logging into the game the router creates a "EA Tunnel" port forwarding rule, even though UPNP is turned off the routers been rebooted, the whole work and verified..i can watch the port get added when i log in and refresh the screen. I read on the Verizon forums that this router automatically opens ports for known connection types and there is nothing you can do about it to turn it off.
Isn't the Auto-Adding of port forwarding entries a part of UPnP? Have you tried to disable that? Otherwise, birdfeedr gave you all the info you need to start using that Ethernet jack. Just make sure whichever router you use has enough power to handle FiOS. Many old routers (3+ years old) unless they were very high end for their time won't handle it.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to FuzzeWuzze

MVM

to FuzzeWuzze
said by FuzzeWuzze :

Can i simply plug in a ethernet cable into the box and pull the Cat5 myself? Or do i need to have them turn something on or change something and have them come out?
Follow the FAQ link birdfeedr See Profile posted.
said by FuzzeWuzze :

The only "automatic" port forwarding is port 4567 (internal within the router) for CPE management. and ports used by the STBs. These are protected port forwards that you can not delete.

AFAIK, the 9100 does not automatically add port forwarding for games. If ports are being opened for a game, then it is due to the game's use of UPNP. If you are are aware of a post stating something to the contrary, please post a link.

Be aware that by using your own router, you may break certain FIOS-TV functionality. See this FAQ regarding running your own router:
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

FuzzeWuzze
@verizon.net

FuzzeWuzze to FuzzeWuzze

Anon

to FuzzeWuzze
Well i read it on their forums

»forums.verizon.com/t5/Fi ··· p/145049

Just FYI im not new to this whole thing i work in the networking industry and i know what UPNP does. But i can gaurentee its off(or atleast its not checked in the router config) and i can gaurentee that things are re-adding. Whether its a bug, my router is dying, or what i dont know.

Both skype, UTorrent, as well as other things are still getting opened up on this thing. And its highly highly annoying.
FuzzeWuzze

FuzzeWuzze to FuzzeWuzze

Anon

to FuzzeWuzze
Sorry for another post...

In theory if i turn this Westell into a bridge, would that disable UPNP if it were on?

I may just do that if its supposed to not do any UPNP, as it seems i cant actually turn it off on my router if what you guys is saying is the case. Things are getting added and its turned off, router restarted, verified 50x...driving me crazy.

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

If your Westell is creating port forwards in spite of UPnP being turned off, the router is defective. Although there was a new firmware upgrade recently, I can't imagine VZ would intentionally ignore the UPnP Disabled setting. If it is being ignored, there would likely be others affected the same way.

Perhaps someone else can test it.

I'd suggest, if you can, to post a screen shot of the UPnP setting and the port forward screen. Absent that, call tech support for a replacement.

The way I would test the router function is by first deleting the port forwards. Make sure you Apply, twice if needed, until you get to the nag screen "Do you want to proceed?"

Then verify the UPnP is not checked, and Apply that setting.

Reboot the router in Advanced / Reboot Router.

After it's rebooted, log in to it, verify the port forwards and UPnP settings remain as you expect them to be. If all is as expected, start Battlefield BC2 to see if the same unexpected behavior occurs.

FuzzeWuzze
@intel.com

FuzzeWuzze to FuzzeWuzze

Anon

to FuzzeWuzze
Thanks Bird,

Been there, done that long before posting here...as my last resort

Ive turned it on and off many times, reset the router to factory defaults and tried, verified im on the latest FW release.

A few weeks ago when i first noticed this that it wouldnt stop i just deleted the rule and it came back so i just tried disabling it so it wouldnt recreate and it seemed to fake it out...now it just re-enables it like some sentient being trying to piss me off

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to FuzzeWuzze

MVM

to FuzzeWuzze
said by FuzzeWuzze :

Well i read it on their forums

»forums.verizon.com/t5/Fi ··· p/145049
"spacedebris" is clearly not aware of Skype's use of UPNP. Here's a credible post (by a Skype mod) documenting Skype's use of UPNP.
»forum.skype.com/index.ph ··· p=492221
So spacedebris' supposition about the router automatically adding ports is BS.

I realize this still does not address your issue of seemingly not being able to disable UPNP.

I have a Westell 9100EM here (in a test configuration) with 1.02.00.04 firmware. Here's a link to a Microsoft UPNP test tool.
»www.microsoft.com/window ··· ult.mspx
With UPNP disabled in my Westell, the test returns "Not Supported".
jca2050
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
Dallas, TX

jca2050 to FuzzeWuzze

Premium Member

to FuzzeWuzze
I used Verizon Direct to request for my Coax be switched to Cat5e, it was switched around the next day. I did find that my speed and latency improved slightly. I don't have Fios TV though so I don't know if that would make a difference.
kevin_pink
join:2006-10-15
Bronx, NY

kevin_pink

said by jca2050:

I used Verizon Direct to request for my Coax be switched to Cat5e, it was switched around the next day. I did find that my speed and latency improved slightly. I don't have Fios TV though so I don't know if that would make a difference.
Can you directly attribute the increase in speed and latency--to the switch from MoCA to ethernet? If so, how much was this improvement?
1Mb increase? 1ms decrease in latency? 2ms?
jca2050
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
Dallas, TX

1 edit

jca2050

Premium Member

The upload slightly increased, maybe 1mb or less (had 20/20 at the time), my tests were more consistent. My latency dropped 1-2ms, nothing major. Only useful if you really want cat5e for your own equipment and/or are a min/maxer. My connection overall felt a little more 'crisp'.