spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TherapyChick

join:2003-09-19
Fayetteville, NC

Is it legal to smoke in your car with kids?

I tried a couple of Google searches, but can't find a good answer. Does anyone know if it's legal to smoke in your car with young kids?

Just wondering, I know you shouldn't, just didn't know if it was legal or not. And just FYI, I don't smoke, just see people doing this sometimes with their kids and was wondering.
--
Certified Medisoft Clinical Support.

Phil
Rojo Sol
Premium
join:2001-06-11
Downers Grove, IL
kudos:2
What state? It's illegal in California.

ixNay
Premium
join:2002-04-12
USA
reply to TherapyChick

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5

1 edit
reply to TherapyChick
Wow, hadn't heard of this, isn't a car considered personal property? I guess next it will be in the home. I am not condoning smoking or non-smoking but wondering how far the issue will lead to. Edited to add: ..and what will follow?

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
reply to TherapyChick
Depends on the state. Some now have laws, some done.

Some states its illegal as it's a confined space. Unlike a a home which is considerably larger.

TherapyChick

Fayetteville, NC
reply to Phil
said by Phil:

Sorry, I meant to put the state, it's NC.

@ixNay - thanks for the Google link, but didn't find anything on there that said if it was or not.
--

drew
Radiant
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6
reply to Phil
said by Phil:

You have to be kidding.

moes
Premium
join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT
Reviews:
·Revol Wireless
·Optimum Online

2 recommendations

reply to TherapyChick
lol smoke in your car it's your damn givin right. I put up with it during the 70's with my parents and did not bother me none. For all the ones who moan and cry about this type of shit, get over it you dont own it and your not the parents. but hey there taking more and more freedoms from us. It's these damn PC police and other activist groups messing this country up. But hey I am the minority here and do not count.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4

1 edit

3 recommendations

said by moes:

lol smoke in your car it's your damn givin right. I put up with it during the 70's with my parents and did not bother me none. For all the ones who moan and cry about this type of shit, get over it you dont own it and your not the parents. but hey there taking more and more freedoms from us. It's these damn PC police and other activist groups messing this country up. But hey I am the minority here and do not count.
The theory is that while it may be your "given" right, it's not you they are trying to protect, it's the child. Should the child be exposed to that or do they not have the "given" right to not be exposed?

While it may not have "bothered you none" there is overwhelming evidence that it is harmful. While "you're" not the parents, is it your "given" right to expose your children to smoke? "They're" not taking a freedom from you, just in theory giving the child the freedom to not inhale second hand smoke.
--
"So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage? »www.venganza.org

TherapyChick

Fayetteville, NC

2 recommendations

reply to moes
said by moes:

Really?

Yeah, may be your right to smoke in your car, but that wasn't the question. It was smoking in your car with young children in the car with you.

You think it's OK to have your kids inhale your 2nd hand smoke? That's your opinion, I have mine.

When I was a kid we didn't wear seat belts. We're smarter than that now.
--

ixNay
Premium
USA

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to TherapyChick
North Carolina

* Statewide ban on smoking in bars, restaurants, and some other workplaces: On January 2, 2010, after being signed into law by Governor Bev Perdue on May 19, 2009, North Carolina Session Law 2009-27 went into effect, banning smoking statewide in all bars and restaurants in North Carolina, as well as in government buildings and vehicles.[221] The Law exempts cigar bars, private clubs (including country clubs), designated hotel/motel smoking areas, and medical research facilities studying tobacco.[221] The Law generally allows local governments to regulate smoking more strictly beginning July 5, 2009 (as long as it is approved by the county, too), but preempts local governments from regulating smoking in cigar bars, retail tobacco shops, tobacco manufacturer facilities, designated hotel/motel smoking rooms, private clubs (including country clubs), theatrical productions involving smoking, private residences, or private vehicles.[221]

* Other statewide smoking regulation in North Carolina:
o North Carolina Department of Correction, January 2006, banned in all state prisons.[222]
o UNC Hospitals, August 2007, banned on all hospital grounds.[223]
o The University of North Carolina system, January 2008, banned on all university grounds except 100 feet from any school building.[224]
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sm···d_States

The above does mention vehicles, but I think it may refer to government vehicles only, but I am not certain.

TherapyChick

Fayetteville, NC
Thanks. I was aware of the smoking ban in restaurants beginning this year, and wow, it has made the dining experience so much better with out the smoke!
--

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
join:2009-09-11
reply to drew
said by drew:

said by Phil:

You have to be kidding.
Everything is illegal in California!

ixNay
Premium
USA
reply to TherapyChick
»www.smokefree.nc.gov./

In the attached .PDF file, page 7 states "There are quite a few exceptions to the authority to regulate smoking in public places. A local government may not restrict or prohibit smoking in the following places:"

Then read the 2nd paragraph under the title in the .pdf...

tvtek
Live life to its fullest
Premium
join:2004-03-07
Concord, CA

1 edit

2 recommendations

reply to moes
said by moes:

You are making the choice to smoke in your car with your kids in it. Meanwhile your kids have to ingest the 2nd hand smoke and have absolutely no say in the decision. I wish they would have had that law when I was younger as both of my parents smoked.
--
Toyota - Moving Forward.....Unexpectedly!

carp
Rejected

join:2002-10-30

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to dandelion
said by dandelion:

Wow, hadn't heard of this, isn't a car considered personal property? I guess next it will be in the home. I am not condoning smoking or non-smoking but wondering how far the issue will lead to. Edited to add: ..and what will follow?
Car driven on roads/property you don't own, so really the owners call. Smoking around your kids in closed area, not so smart to begin with.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
join:2009-09-11
reply to tvtek
said by tvtek:

said by moes:

You are making the choice to smoke in your car with your kids in it. Meanwhile your kids have to ingest the 2nd hand smoke and have absolutely no say in the decision. I wish they would have had that law when I was younger as both of my parents smoked.
Sorry to hear you have lung cancer!

ctggzg
Premium
join:2005-02-11
USA

1 recommendation

reply to dandelion
said by dandelion:

Wow, hadn't heard of this, isn't a car considered personal property?
Should you be allowed to pour hydrochloric acid on your kids as long as it's in your own car?

endisnigh

@bellsouth.net
reply to TherapyChick
Why don't we just cut to the chase and stop having kids? We can't discipline kids anymore in any way so they grow up thinking there are no consequences to their actions and bad behaviour. If someone gets in your car and you have kids and they smoke, you could get in trouble for it. Hey a house or an apartment is an enclosed space too does that count as illegal too? I'm not advocating smoking at all as I find it disgusting but this is all getting rediculous.

tvtek
Live life to its fullest
Premium
Concord, CA

1 edit
reply to The Pig
said by The Pig:

said by tvtek:

said by moes:

Sorry to hear you have lung cancer!

I don't have cancer, but I am sure there are some who do becasue of their parents actions. Is hair loss contributed to smoking parents?....lol
--

Phil
Rojo Sol
Premium
Downers Grove, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to drew
said by drew:

said by Phil:

You have to be kidding.
"On January 1, 2008, a law went into effect which bans smoking in cars when there are children younger than 18 present. Those caught violating the law will face up to a $100 fine."

Source: »www.tobaccofreeca.com/secondhand_smoke.html

drew
Radiant
Premium
Port Orchard, WA
What is wrong with CA? Personal freedom gone.

pablo
MVM
join:2003-06-23
kudos:1
said by drew:

I'm curious on your line of thinking. Would you elaborate on your position how making it against the law to smoke in your car, with children in the car, is a bad idea. What part of it is bad? Are you suggesting it's your personal freedom to potentially shorten the life of your children?

I'm not looking for an emotional response. I'm simply trying to understand your logic.

Cheers,
-pablo
--
openSUSE 11.1/.2;KDE/Xfce
ISP: TekSavvy DSL; backhauled via a 6KM wireless link

runnoft
Premium
join:2003-10-14
Nags Head, NC
reply to TherapyChick
I wish my parents had not smoked in my presence when I was a kid. It definitely hurt me health-wise and who knows what the long-term consequences will be. They had a choice. I did not. And I love my parents, but nobody's perfect, and this was something they could have done better on.

My mom contracted lung cancer and died from heart disease and pneumonia just over five years ago.

Phil
Rojo Sol
Premium
Downers Grove, IL
reply to drew
It's actually a law that I agree with.

tvtek
Live life to its fullest
Premium
Concord, CA
reply to drew
said by drew:

No, we just care about the children here. Plenty of freedom otherwise.
--

pablo
MVM

1 edit
reply to runnoft
said by runnoft:

I wish my parents had not smoked in my presence when I was a kid. It definitely hurt me health-wise and who knows what the long-term consequences will be. They had a choice. I did not. And I love my parents, but nobody's perfect, and this was something they could have done better on.

My mom contracted lung cancer and died from heart disease and pneumonia just over five years ago.
I'm sorry to hear about your mom. My mother-in-law, smoked in her 20's, and she died recently of lung cancer. Awful way to go.

Yes, I'm not keen on more laws. I agree with this law because for those people who understand the issues of second-hand smoke, this doesn't affect them. For those people who truly don't understand, minimally, they won't impact their children.

I tend to side more libertarian .. let people do what they want ... "as long as they do not impact others" ... that's why I'd advocate this law.

Cheers,
-pablo
--

evil_gusgus

join:2008-04-14
London, ON
reply to TherapyChick
It is illegal here to smoke with kids in the car. Not sure if its for Ontario or just a local by-law.

pablo
MVM
It is an Ontario-wide law: »www.canada.com/windsorstar/news/···1f3df4a2

Cheers,
-pablo
--

drew
Radiant
Premium
Port Orchard, WA

2 recommendations

reply to TherapyChick
Every time you add in a law like this, you decrease the personal responsibility requirement on people.

You get into this mindset of "if the government doesn't say it's illegal, it's OK."

That's patently false and a bad habit to get involved in.

I don't smoke, won't smoke and would not smoke with my daughter in the car if I did. I don't need anybody legislating that.
--
"And Tehuno said let there be haste, not mp5, and there was haste. All creatures of the world rejoiced." -WotLK Ch. 3.3.2