Search similar:

uniqs

L337
Premium Member
join:2005-03-10
Chicago, IL

L337

Premium Member

What kind of modems does AT&T U-Verse uses?

What kind of modems does AT&T U-Verse uses? Does anyone know the list of modems they use? This also includes the wireless routers/modem combo if any.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO

ILpt4U

Premium Member

Are we talking U-Verse VDSL (TV, Phone, Internet - technician installed)?

Or are we talking "U-Verse" ADSL2/2+ (Internet only -- self intall)?

L337
Premium Member
Chicago, IL

1 edit

L337

Premium Member

U-Verse ADSL2/2+ Only, any Internet modem. I was wondering would the Speedstream 4100B work? haha....

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

1 edit

ILpt4U

Premium Member

"There are currently two different provided equipment to choose from: 1. AT&T Gateway (2Wire 2701HGV-B) 2. Modem (Motorola 2210-02-1ATT)"

From »/profi ··· e/348635 's post @ this thread: »[Modem] Did they send me the wrong modem??

L337
Premium Member
Chicago, IL

L337

Premium Member

Is the 2Wire Wireless?

gdm
MVM
join:2001-06-15
Mchenry, IL

gdm

MVM

Yes.
dave006
join:1999-12-26
Boca Raton, FL

dave006 to L337

to L337
To expand on gdm's comment.

The 2Wire provides 4 wired ports (Ethernet) and WiFi ( 802.11 B/G support). It can be setup to support, just B, just G or both. It does not support the newer N standard.

Dave
pickil
join:2010-03-26
Charlotte, NC

pickil to ILpt4U

to ILpt4U
said by ILpt4U:

"There are currently two different provided equipment to choose from: 1. AT&T Gateway (2Wire 2701HGV-B) 2. Modem (Motorola 2210-02-1ATT)"

Actually those are the modems for ATT DSL, ATT Uverse use the 2Wire 3800 HG-B

Ashtonian
@sbcglobal.net

Ashtonian to L337

Anon

to L337
Mine is the 2 Wire 3800 HGV -B

bluepoint951
join:2001-03-20
Lewisville, TX

bluepoint951 to L337

to L337
If you are asking about the newer U-Verse ADSL2/2+ you can read over the info here:

»IP-DSLAM FAQ

The new IP-DSLAM setup require one of the two modems from AT&T; the older Speedstreams cannot be used and they are not currently supported.

Most new IP-DSLAM customers are found in the West Region around San Francisco, L.A., and the San Joaquin Valley. There are also parts of the Chicago Metro area that have the service available. Its mostly in Central Offices that are U-Verse ready/available.

U-Verse [VDSL] services you get a 2-Wire 3800HGV-B that is leased; if you have internet only your pay $3.00 as "High Speed Internet Equipment Fee." You won't see/incur this charge for ADSL2/2+ service as you own the equipment.

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako

Premium Member

Isn't the service just bridged ethernet with DHCP? I fail to understand why any ADSL2+ modem will not work.

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

wayjac

MVM

Not all modems have a built-in wan dhcp client and the accounts likely have some safeguards in place to limit ip assignments

joako
Premium Member
/dev/null

joako

Premium Member

So you can't put a modem in bridge mode and use a router?

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

No one with a dhcp account has posted that info here

joako
Premium Member
/dev/null

joako

Premium Member

Well I would hope so, otherwise it's a step back from PPPoE.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

pppoe, dhcp or static they are all internet connections
rpstom
Premium Member
join:2007-03-08
Cumming, GA

rpstom to L337

Premium Member

to L337
Man, stay far far away from the 2wire. If you want to do anything other than normal home use then this thing SUCKS. ATT is using the 3800HGV-B for businesses and it is the crappiest thing I have ever used. You can't turn the firewall off. I have a $3k sonicwall that won't work with this. Its supposed to let you put a computer in dmz plus mode but it doesn't work. Anyone have one of these try it and then go look at the firewall logs. Forget about running a web server or VPN.
olaughlj
join:2002-08-09
Dayton, OH

olaughlj

Really? I have a web server sitting behind my 3800HGV-B and my own router just fine.
dave006
join:1999-12-26
Boca Raton, FL

dave006 to rpstom

to rpstom
I have to agree with olaughj, I have a web server and I also have a VPN running with the 2Wire 3800 HGV-B without issue.

I can't recommend a DMZplus mode for most home users, as it does allow all ports to be available via the public IP that are not already mapped by the Firewall to other hosts.

The RG clearly indicates what the DMZplus mode means before you enable it:
Allow all applications (DMZplus mode) - Set the selected computer in DMZplus mode. All inbound traffic, except traffic which has been specifically assigned to another computer using the "Allow individual applications" feature, will automatically be directed to this computer. The DMZplus-enabled computer is less secure because all unassigned firewall ports are opened for that computer.

Yes, the RG wants to talk to each device by MAC address and that does cause issues if you want to use a firewall appliance with U-verse and expect to use the RG in a bridged configuration. The U-verse RG does not support a bridged mode configuration, like or not...

Dave

joako
Premium Member
/dev/null

1 edit

joako

Premium Member

Not sure what all the hate is about the 2wire. Yes it's a big turd (literally and figuratively) but I connected a router to it, set DMZ+, never used the AT&T DNS servers and I have never had an issue. My TV works and my network and internet are just as stable as when I had their PPPoE DSL. I don't think I've ever had a single issue with the internet, and I have U-verse since 01/2009.

/edit: I Did have no more than 20 minutes downtime at 1AM when they upgraded the 2wire firmware.
yzor
Premium Member
join:2003-01-03
Jacksonville, FL
Linksys WRT1900ACS
Netgear CM1000

yzor

Premium Member

I am about to go from ADSL 6m to uverse, I was wondering if there is any downsides? I am going with internet only. Mainly its about upload speed for me, but I wonder if the latency is the same or better or heaven forbid worse? No going to run any servers but i do need to upload via ftp faster than 400kb/sec which is just too slow, not to mention vpn stuff. thanks in advance.

joako
Premium Member
/dev/null

joako

Premium Member

The latency is higher but you won't notice it for VPN or FTP uploads.