spc
Search similar:

uniqs

ipv456
@comcast.net

ipv456

Anon

Markets served by only one carrier?

"many of whom live in markets served by two or fewer carriers; carriers who keep prices high and lag on network investment because they have no competitive incentive to do otherwise"

How many markets are served by only one carrier, where that carrier is a Cable company, CLEC or alternative provider?

Are we just talking about markets that are served by Telco's that were funded by the government to provide rural service?

Bill Neilson
Premium Member
join:2009-07-08
Alexandria, VA

Bill Neilson

Premium Member

said by ipv456 :

"many of whom live in markets served by two or fewer carriers; carriers who keep prices high and lag on network investment because they have no competitive incentive to do otherwise"

How many markets are served by only one carrier, where that carrier is a Cable company, CLEC or alternative provider?

Are we just talking about markets that are served by Telco's that were funded by the government to provide rural service?
I lived in a major Southern City that only allowed me one option for Internet.

I also just moved to Arlington and out of DC because my area in DC only allowed me Verizon DSL....that was IT. In DC?

ipv456
@comcast.com

ipv456

Anon

I would think Verizon fits a Telco definition.

In the major Southern City was your only option for Internet a Cable company, CLEC or alternative provider?

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

TamaraB

Premium Member

My ONLY option here in this Brooklyn NYC Neighborhood is Verizon DSL. No cable service, no fiber.

I have 1Mb service because the copper here can't handle more. I tried to upgrade to 3Mb, and it was discovered that the wire is too old and degraded. It's Dry Loop service, so the wire is not under any tariff requirements, therefor there is no requirement for VZ to even maintain it, let alone make it better.

How is this location EVER going to get 100Mb service without the government mandating some minimum level of access? Remember the way it used to be for POTS service? They HAD to provide a minimum level of service no matter where you lived.

If this is the situation in some parts of urban America, imagine how bad things are in rural America.

100Mb to 100 Million, simply improves service to those already serviced, but does nothing for those under-serviced or unserviced at all. A "NATIONAL" broadband plan has to have broadband access for "all" as A FIRST PRIORITY.

Bob

Bill Dollar
join:2009-02-20
New York, NY

Bill Dollar

Have you tried this, from Dave Burstein:

"One million New Yorkers can get free WiFi through 187 access points across Harlem, the South Bronx, and Brooklyn in the neighborhoods that need it most. If your WiFi can see smartnetnyc, urbanwifitv or smartnetnych, you should be able to register on the splash page that comes up. When I visited them Saturday, 392 users had logged in by 1:30, although until now they have had zero publicity. more »bit.ly/5hJbaY"

TamaraB
Premium Member
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac

1 edit

TamaraB

Premium Member

said by Bill Dollar:

Have you tried this, from Dave Burstein:
The Only WIFI I see here apart from my own is a good signal from OptOnline. OptOnline does not service this area with cable, but their wifi signal is available. So, I called them and asked if I could subscribe to their WIFI as a separate account. NO! was their immediate answer.

I will keep my eyes open for those you mentioned, but to date they are not here.

EDIT: It shows up here as optimumwifi with good signal strength.

Bob

Bill Neilson
Premium Member
join:2009-07-08
Alexandria, VA

Bill Neilson to ipv456

Premium Member

to ipv456
Cox Cable

I used DirecTV for TV but Cox was the only competition for internet

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 edit

FFH5 to TamaraB

Premium Member

to TamaraB
said by TamaraB:

My ONLY option here in this Brooklyn NYC Neighborhood is Verizon DSL. No cable service, no fiber.

Don't you live on a boat?
»Re: Veterans Stimulus Checks anyone?
betam4x
join:2002-10-12
Nashville, TN

betam4x to Bill Neilson

to Bill Neilson
Forget that, there are several markets outside metropolitan areas that have NO high speed options. My mother's house for instance in rural Dickson, TN doesn't even have a cable TV option, much less cable internet.
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88 to TamaraB

to TamaraB
So where in brooklyn is there a place without TWC or Cablevision, both of which are required to build out to 100% properties? Unless you have a crazy landlord which won't allow either onto the property, then you don't apply.

TamaraB
Premium Member
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac

1 edit

TamaraB

Premium Member

said by patcat88:

... Unless you have a crazy landlord ...
Crazy landlord fits the bill. There are 12 households here which cannot get cable of any sort. Most have some form of Sat TV. I have no TV at all. Most have POTS and DSL, the few who don't, "share" Internet via WIFI with a neighbor. I only have DSL because I ordered pots, got a line, and then, a year later, converted it to dry loop.

Point being, POTS is tariffed, and a must-provide public service, while Internet is NOT. A National broadband policy should address this fundamental problem; don't you think?

EDIT: With more and more folks moving off wired (tariffed) phone service and onto wireless (untariffed), coupled with the telcos abandoning copper, there exists the very real potential for there being many pockets of the country totally without Internet access. This access question needs to be addressed by a national policy.

Bob

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

1 edit

FFH5

Premium Member

said by TamaraB:

said by patcat88:

... Unless you have a crazy landlord ...
Crazy landlord fits the bill. There are 12 households here which cannot get cable of any sort.
You haven't replied to the question of "Aren't you referring to a boat?". Living on a boat wipes out a lot of your claims about not having the connections you are demanding.

»Re: Veterans Stimulus Checks anyone?

TamaraB
Premium Member
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac

1 edit

TamaraB

Premium Member

said by FFH5:

Living on a boat wipes out a lot of your claims about not having the connections you are demanding.
Says who? You? This is a community of folks like any other. See:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=richard.robert&target=ALBUM&id=5435120857476365457&authkey=Gv1sRgCNaxu6-n5P2L9QE&feat=email

Con Edison (meters) and Verizon (pots) services us under tariff regulations like any other community. This is an area owned by NYC, and Leased to the landlord, who has decided not to allow cable installations.

Public Service law 65,66 96.1 sets out the PSC's regulations for Residences, Trailer Parks, Camp Grounds, and Marinas. All are covered equally as residences under the tariff laws.

Bob

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

1 edit

FFH5

Premium Member

said by TamaraB:

said by FFH5:

Living on a boat wipes out a lot of your claims about not having the connections you are demanding.
Says who? You? This is a community of folks like any other. See:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=richard.robert&target=ALBUM&id=5435120857476365457&authkey=Gv1sRgCNaxu6-n5P2L9QE&feat=email

Con Edison (meters) and Verizon (pots) services us under tariff regulations like any other community. This is an area owned by NYC, and Leased to the landlord, who has decided not to allow cable installations.

Public Service law 65,66 96.1 sets out the PSC's regulations for Residences, Trailer Parks, Camp Grounds, and Marinas. All are covered equally as residences under the tariff laws.

Bob

You really expect Verizon to run Fios to a bunch of boats docked in a Marina?