spc
Search similar:

uniqs

USR56K
join:2000-05-20
Lynnwood, WA

USR56K

Replace shower diverter behind wall

After moving into my new (yet old) house, I found out the shower doesn't quite work. When you pull up on the faucet to make the water go out of the shower head, half of the water still pours out the spout while the rest comes out the head. Moving the diverter around makes the problem terrible or bad. I found various guides online for replacing the diverter washer(s) and/or entire assembly. Looks like a fairly straight forward job.

After getting the diverter handle and decorative cap off, I find the bolt is behind the wall. No, I didn't put up the crappy Formica wall --- the bathroom needs to get remodeled eventually.

Anyways, the only way I can figure to unscrew it is with a deep socket. My 22mm 1/2" was too small for comparison. Short of going to Sears and buying a bunch of large deep sockets, any other cheaper tools I'm forgetting about that would work?

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

HD or Lowes have pluming sockets sets for about 20 bucks just for this use, I wouldn't recommend using Auto type sockets

What you will remove is only part of the valve, if the body is damaged, not the stem your removing, you can only fix that but ripping into the wall

beck
MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road

1 recommendation

beck to USR56K

MVM

to USR56K
What is on the other side of the wall? Perhaps there is a panel to get at the plumbing for the shower. Or at least a wall you can cut out and put some kind of panel or door on.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

1 edit

cdru

MVM

said by beck:

What is on the other side of the wall? Perhaps there is a panel to get at the plumbing for the shower. Or at least a wall you can cut out and put some kind of panel or door on.
I don't think that is necessary. If I understand what he's asking, he just needs to remove the packing nut (the teal hex component in the picture) in order to get the valve stem and assembly out.

What he needs is a plumbers socket of the appropriate size like previously mentioned to loosen and remove the packing nut. The socket should be available at any hardware store or home center. Once removed, the assembly should just pull out. If he needed to replace the actual diverter valve, then an access panel from behind may be better in order to save having to replace the tub/shower wall.

USR56K
Lynnwood, WA

USR56K to guppy_fish

to guppy_fish
said by guppy_fish:

HD or Lowes have pluming sockets sets for about 20 bucks just for this use, I wouldn't recommend using Auto type sockets
ah-ha, awesome. knew there had to be a better tool to get it out. Will check it out today at the local Lowes.
said by beck:

What is on the other side of the wall?
Bedroom closet. No access panels.

If it does come down to more in-depth repairs needed... then well maybe it's time to redo the bathroom sooner than later. I'll cross that road as needed. First up, diverter valve replacement.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

2 recommendations

nunya to USR56K

MVM

to USR56K

Bedroom closet. No access panels.

That's the perfect place to put one!
bkjohnson
Premium Member
join:2002-05-22
Birmingham, AL

bkjohnson to USR56K

Premium Member

to USR56K
I had a similar situation once. I ended up at the local distributor for my Gerber faucet set, as Home Depot, etc. did not have the diverter parts. I also wanted to replace the hot & cold stems, etc. It ended up being cheaper for me to buy a whole new faucet assembly to get the needed parts. I changed everything but the main casting, working from the front.

clevere1
Premium Member
join:2002-01-06
Vancouver, WA

clevere1 to cdru

Premium Member

to cdru
said by cdru:

What he needs is a plumbers socket of the appropriate size like previously mentioned to loosen and remove the packing nut. The socket should be available at any hardware store or home center. Once removed, the assembly should just pull out. If he needed to replace the actual diverter valve, then an access panel from behind may be better in order to save having to replace the tub/shower wall.
Damn. I've had one of those for YEARS and never knew what to use it for. You learn something new everyday.

guy54435
Premium Member
join:2003-02-19

guy54435

Premium Member

or it could be a sparkplug wrench for chainsaw or other powertool.

USR56K
Lynnwood, WA

USR56K

Amazing how well the correct tool works for the job :P. Got the diverter unscrewed in 10 seconds.

Looks just a wee bit different from all those on the shelf at Lowes. The washer on the back looks fine and I don't see any others on it.

While hard to see, the first lip inside here had a little bit of semi-soft black stuff. I'm thinking possibly the washer completely disintegrated? Anyways off to Lowes to find if they have a diverter that matches this one...

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

tp0d

Premium Member

That diverter stem looks in prety damn good condition. Can you take a pic straight on with the washer/screw end?

The valve body looks good, the seat inside isnt cracked, dunno, but it doesnt look like the diverter is at fault. Does it turn all the way in? Might be a good time for a new washer anyways..

If the diverter on a 3 handle faucet works fine, you do not need a pull-up knob diverter on a tub spout. (if this is what you have )

Tub sockets are a good thing to have, they can come in real handy for some things.

-j

USR56K
Lynnwood, WA

USR56K

I agree. After taking the diverter out, all appears ok. But since this is the first time taking apart shower plumbing, didn't want to jump to conclusions too quickly. Oh yea, noticed on the diverter end that it's a Sterling.

Here is looking at the end of it, off-center to see the different layers.

Yes, this crazy tub has 3 handles (hot, cold, diverter) AND a pull-up knob diverter on the tub spout. Thinking next to come off is the tub spout 'eh?

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

tp0d

Premium Member

Well at the worst you could take off the tub spout and cap it with a 1/2" cap, then you`d have a good shower for sure heh

-j

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

2 edits

robbin to USR56K

Mod

to USR56K
The washer on the diverter is totally worn out and needs to be replaced. It is impossible to properly check the condition of the seat from a pic. Stick your finger in and feel really carefully. It should be very smooth. From your problem description and the looks of the washer I don't think there is a problem with the seat but just stating that a quick visual doesn't catch the flaw.There is a bunch of crud in the valve body. Get all of that out of there. Turn on the water a little and let it flush the debris out.

While you are rebuilding the stem replace the packing washer and the large washer on the part you used the new wrench on. I would take the valve apart, wire brush it and liberally coat with silicone plumbers grease before reassembly.

Get rid of the spout with diverter built in. It may be part of the problem as it creates a restriction in the flow. Just take the spout off after rebuilding and reinstalling the valve and see if it works properly without a spout.

[edit] You are missing a washer. I had a diverter valve I needed to work on and have just taken it apart. Stay tuned for a new post with a pic of a different brand valve of the same style.
robbin

robbin

Mod

Click for full size
This one needs new end washer
Ignore the pretty purple flowers growing out of the holes. No wonder this bathroom had no water pressure, the washer on the end was disintegrating! I purposely moved the other washers so they were clearly visible. There are four (4) washers on this stem. From left to right, the purple one and the next white one are the ones which seal the water to go up or down. The third one keeps the stem from leaking against the valve body. The last one is hidden behind the brass nut on the right end and is the packing washer which keeps the water from running out around the faucet handle.

The reason your tub has a diverter spout is the previous owner could figure out how to fix it as the second washer was totally missing.

USR56K
Lynnwood, WA

USR56K

said by robbin:

The reason your tub has a diverter spout is the previous owner could figure out how to fix it as the second washer was totally missing.
Makes sense. The previous owner did so many things the wrong way in this house I'm learning.

Took the spout off and its stamped with made in Taiwan. lol, don't think Sterling was made there back in the day :P. Additionally, the spout pipe has a thread enlarger on it of some sort.

Tomorrow, I start the hunt around town for someone who carries this replacement, as Lowe's does not.

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

1 edit

robbin

Mod

The spout should be an easy replacement. Can you post a pic of the pipe coming out of the wall?

[edit] The second washer which is missing on yours is your main problem. Everything else is secondary.

USR56K
Lynnwood, WA

USR56K

said by robbin:

The spout should be an easy replacement. Can you post a pic of the pipe coming out of the wall?
Agreed.

Right after taking off the spout

Sort of hard to see the screwed on and larger threading over the existing pipe.

ArgMeMatey
join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey

Is that a threaded bushing? It looks like it's cracked.

USR56K
Lynnwood, WA

USR56K

Went to Aurora Plumbing this morning, who had a matching replacement diverter value. You're quite right robbin, it was completely missing a rubber washer.

Installed it into the wall and gave it a test. Works! Although I noticed that water would squeeze by the rubber ring at the end where the stem comes out -- I didn't have that end cap thingy screwed in as pictured. After re-installing the decorative piece around the diverter handle, which also screws into that area with the washer, very little water would come out while the shower was run. Maybe a drop every few minutes or two. Not really going to fret about it, since the whole bathroom needs to get upgraded here... probably sooner than later than I want. Installed my new shower head and a normal spout with no diverter too.

Once I get the tub re-sealed (since the silicone stuff I previously used was crap and pulls right off) with Polyseamseal tub & tile, then I can finally take a shower in my house!

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to USR56K

Premium Member

to USR56K
That's really helpful that you uploaded the pictures for others to see!, most the time someone just says all fixed and disappears!

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin to USR56K

Mod

to USR56K
said by USR56K:

Installed it into the wall and gave it a test. Works! Although I noticed that water would squeeze by the rubber ring at the end where the stem comes out -- I didn't have that end cap thingy screwed in as pictured. After re-installing the decorative piece around the diverter handle, which also screws into that area with the washer, very little water would come out while the shower was run. Maybe a drop every few minutes or two. Not really going to fret about it, since the whole bathroom needs to get upgraded here... probably sooner than later than I want.
If you still have a little leak, you should take care of it. Little leaks can be come big leaks and may then be harder to repair. It sounds like you just need to tighten the packing nut a little more. The packing nut is the "little end cap thingy" you refer to. Although since you first installed it and put pressure on it without the nut, you may need to take the nut off and carefully reseat the o-ring or washer as the pressure could have moved it. Hopefully it wasn't moved out of place and then damaged when the packing nut was installed.
bkjohnson
Premium Member
join:2002-05-22
Birmingham, AL

bkjohnson

Premium Member

Another 2 cents worth - packing leaks can sometimes go mostly undetected because they usually occur when the valves are open and a large part of the leak can occur in the wall, causing damage. It's important to stay on top of them.

USR56K
Lynnwood, WA

USR56K

said by bkjohnson:

Another 2 cents worth - packing leaks can sometimes go mostly undetected because they usually occur when the valves are open and a large part of the leak can occur in the wall, causing damage.
Too late.

As I've been working on bathroom, it's become blatant obvious to me that who ever put up the Formica in the shower did so to cover up the existing damage. With the shower head, diverter and spout removed I can get glimpses of whats behind the wall.
* Shower head area - there is no immediate wall and I see a stud in the gaping hole.
* Diverter area - appears there is drywall behind there and its black with what I can only assume is mold. The diverter decorative cover, which has the packing nut, is covered with white/green deposits. Obviously its been leaking for quite a while. I can only tighten it down so much before its snug against the [extended and fake] wall.

Through all those open holes, I feel a strong cold draft from the inner wall. Come spring, need to re-insulate underside of the house in the crawl space. I vaguely recall the area with the pipes going up to the bathroom has all the insulation removed, last time I was under there. Anyways, it's on my giant list of todos...

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

said by USR56K:

The diverter decorative cover, which has the packing nut, is covered with white/green deposits. Obviously its been leaking for quite a while. I can only tighten it down so much before its snug against the [extended and fake] wall.
The escutcheon plate needs to be separated from the packing nut. It sounds like you left the old nut attached and used it with the new valve. That is not a very good idea. If necessary you can replace the extension piece that connects the nut and the escutcheon. The plumbing supply you went to should have helped you with this and sold you the correct parts to complete your repair properly!

USR56K
Lynnwood, WA

USR56K

Oh, didn't really realize they separated. The whole backside of the escutcheon plate and the shaft are covered in deposits. Just assumed that's how the old thing was meant to be and screwed into the diverter end.