Search similar:

uniqs
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

1 recommendation

iansltx

Third Pipe Fail

Here's the problem: only one provider in the US with any sort of footprint (sorry Paxio) has turned on 100 Mbps service as of right now. Comcast's 100M trial doesnt count yet, though it will later this year.

Everyone else is happy to sit at 50-60 Mbps, even in areas with vibrant competition.

For example, San Antonio, TX is home to four internet providers. TWC top sout at 15/2, upgrading to 50/5 later this year. Grande Communications tops out at 12/1, or 12/1.5 if you're a business, or 15/4 if you have FTTH (not in San Antonio I'm pretty sure). AT&T hits 24/3 if you're close enough to the VRAD, going down to 18/1.5 or 12/1.5 if you aren't. Clear WiMAX *might* hit 10/1 if everything is working correctly. Heck, it might hit 15/5, but you aren't guaranteed these speeds.

So you have the telco, the cableco, a cable overbuilder and "third pipe" WiMAX...and none of 'em are hitting 25 Mbps right now, or 55 Mbps later. The same exact thing is the case in Austin.

Let's go to another overbuilder situation: WOW. They top out at 15/2. Never mind...

RCN? They have 60/10 in some areas...for business. 60/6 is available for residential serice. That isn't 100 Mbps.

So apparently we need more competition than four providers to amp up broadband speeds to 100M, at least in most areas, where we aren't talking about Comcast (who'll get to that eventually) or Cablevision (who has that now). What to do?
FredIsDead
join:2010-02-24
San Antonio, TX

FredIsDead

Plus, you have people like me, who are currently only willing to pay for 3 mb/s service. You can give me 100, but if it is priced anywhere near the current levels, it just isn't worth the additional cost for the limited benefit i get. Most people aren't willing to pay for the upper tiers of internet service.

SSidlov
Other Things On My Mind
Premium Member
join:2000-03-03
Pompton Lakes, NJ

1 edit

SSidlov to iansltx

Premium Member

to iansltx
Yes, CV, the 5th largest cable company has been offering 100mb service for more than a year for $99/mo. Cablevison was the first with 10/2mb home service 6 years ago, 15/2mb service for the same money and 30/5 service for a mere extra $10. The price has stayed the same for 6 years. They also added wifi hotspots in their area at no extra charge to thier customers. And they also offer up to 100mb or better full fiber service to any business customer in the footprint under the LightPath brand.

CV laid 36,000 miles of fiber and cable, that's as much as Verizon was supposed to put in West Virginia (but didn't). They have a 75% takeup rate for at least one service, the highest in the nation. It may be only 4 million homes passed, but its 4 mill in the most desirable market and densest population portion of the USA.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

Which doesn't matter to the other 120+ million homes in America...

Also, TWC is more than happy to sell you 100M fiber anywhere in their footprint. It just might cost an arm and a leg.

jadebangle
Premium Member
join:2007-05-22

jadebangle to FredIsDead

Premium Member

to FredIsDead
said by FredIsDead:

Plus, you have people like me, who are currently only willing to pay for 3 mb/s service. You can give me 100, but if it is priced anywhere near the current levels, it just isn't worth the additional cost for the limited benefit i get. Most people aren't willing to pay for the upper tiers of internet service.
people like you are willing to pay anything for 3mbit service at any price?
lol
i think u will do fine with 768k or even 512k
since all ya need is a connection that fast enough for your web surfing experience
i was saying that 50mbit and 100mbit is only for the speed freaks or some who use them for business apps
that's like having a car that can do 200 mph when a really cheap car that does up to 60 mph is a better deal.
why pay 30,000 buck when a 5,000 dollar car is more then good enough for your needs?
like i was saying many don't care about speed all they want is a connection and as cheap as possible
that's the problem with service provider
they think that most want to pay more for more speed
their marketing is horrible and their lower tier are still too expensive for the budget people.
make it competitive to dial up 10bucks to 20bucks

joebarnhart
Paxio evangelist
join:2005-12-15
Santa Clara, CA

1 edit

joebarnhart to iansltx

to iansltx
said by iansltx:

Here's the problem: only one provider in the US with any sort of footprint (sorry Paxio) has turned on 100 Mbps service as of right now. Comcast's 100M trial doesnt count yet, though it will later this year.
Ouch! But true enough. Even when Paxio fills out the S.F. Bay Area they're never going to rival the big cable incumbents in total size. But if you're lucky enough to live in Paxio territory you suddenly have CHOICE.

True choice...