Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

snolsen

join:2004-01-10
Bedford, NH
reply to CybermatriX

Re: POTS 911 vs Vonage 911

With VOIP e911, when your power goes out so does your e911. If you have POTS, I bet you still have a dial tone (if you use the old style phones).

WA 425

join:2006-08-19
Lynnwood, WA

said by snolsen:

With VOIP e911, when your power goes out so does your e911. If you have POTS, I bet you still have a dial tone (if you use the old style phones).
This is true.

If you are concerned about having 911 access during a power outage with VoIP, there are two options:

a) Plug your modem, router, ATA and phone (if cordless) into a UPS so that they will have power in the event of a power outage.

or

b) (much simpler) Have a cell phone handy.

WiMax

join:2003-07-12
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to snolsen

said by snolsen:

I invested in a U.P.S. (APC XS 1200) to provide backup power for my modem, router, vonage adapter, phone, one desk lamp and computer only. IT works GREAT! A few months ago, my landlord was required to install a new service at my home. The utility shut down the power to the house at 8:45am, I only had the modem, router, adapter and phone powered up and the UPS ran for nearly 7 hours. The power was out for 7.5h so I was without it for about 30 minutes but that's OK because it auto routed to a cell phone as backup.

strange_69

join:2001-08-07
Ridgecrest, CA

I went out and bought a UPS for my modem, router and vonage adapter and found out that when I loose power, so does my isp. ugh.
--
Vonage user since Mar 2004.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit

said by strange_69:

I went out and bought a UPS for my modem, router and vonage adapter and found out that when I loose power, so does my isp. ugh.
I had the same problem with Comcast as my ISP. I switched to DSL which for me has no local power requirements since my circuits are connected directly to the CO. A telco CO runs on multiple banks of batteries the size of refrigerators, and they also usually have their own generators for charging the batteries when utility power fails. OTOH, any fiber based internet connection will require at least one place where local power is required, and the battery/generator backup for such remote equipment is nowhere near as reliable (or long lasting) as a in a typical CO.
--
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
-- Thomas Jefferson

strange_69

join:2001-08-07
Ridgecrest, CA

Well, I was pretty much screwed by Verizon. I have fiber running right to my house but Verizon is unwilling to upgrade it to FIOS. Because it is fiber running to my house, I cannot get DSL either. So the best speed I could get over my phone line was 28.8 kps (which is not an option). Therefore, I told Verizon to stick it and went with cable and Vonage. Vonage has worked out great for me although I have never had to use the E911 feature (thank God). I do have a cell phone for back-up though, just in case.
--
Vonage user since Mar 2004.