uniqs

Cabal
Premium Member
join:2007-01-21

Cabal

Premium Member

Newegg shipping fake Core i7s

Some Newegg Customers Received Fake Intel Core i7s

Humorous more so than anything else, the pictures speak for themselves (linked above).

craig70130
Premium Member
join:2004-04-27
New Orleans, LA

craig70130

Premium Member

Looks like they received 300 fake processors from distributor D&H. Doesn't surprise me, I used to deal with D&H and they were a pain to deal with and rude. Yea I know, that has nothing to do with fake processors but makes me chuckle.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to Cabal

Premium Member

to Cabal
»hothardware.com/News/New ··· ting-It/

Looks like D&H is going after the press now! That makes them look even more scummy. WTF ever happened to freedom of the press? D&H needs to be punished if they knew what they were doing and are trying to intimidate the press from reporting it.

Jahntassa
What, I can have feathers
Premium Member
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC

Jahntassa to Cabal

Premium Member

to Cabal
Wow..that's pretty nifty. Hopefully Newegg is being good about it and sending out REAL processors to the people that got the fakes.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

1 edit

pnjunction to Cabal

Premium Member

to Cabal
The subject is incorrect, they are not still 'shipping' these. 'Shipped' would be accurate instead of sounding like one could still get one of these.

Cabal
Premium Member
join:2007-01-21

Cabal

Premium Member

said by pnjunction:

The subject is incorrect, they are not still 'shipping' these. 'Shipped' would be accurate instead of sounding like one could still get one of these.
In the future I will try to use subjects that can stand for all eternity. Thanks.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

2 edits

pnjunction

Premium Member

said by Cabal:

said by pnjunction:

In the future I will try to use subjects that can stand for all eternity. Thanks.
I was going to be clearer and say that they weren't 'shipping' them when you made the topic either. Guess I should have. It wasn't accurate when you made it.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to Cabal

MVM

to Cabal
I can't believe newegg is calling them "demo units". WTF?

Ray422
MVM
join:2002-03-04
Lost

Ray422

MVM

Wuahahahaha...
Wonder how many first time builders are trying to figure out why this assembly is so much different from the internet instructions?

PS: At least they got rid of those pesty pins on the heatsink

asdfdfdfdfdf
@opera-mini.net

1 recommendation

asdfdfdfdfdf to Cabal

Anon

to Cabal
I wasn't going to post on this since we don't actually know very much but it's important that we don't reinforce the tendency to jump to a lot of conclusions.

I don't think we know yet whether the demo claim, which seems to date from march 5th, was based on a full understanding of what was happening.
If you look at the post from the 5th:

»www.hardforum.com/showth ··· 35416948

and another contact made on the 5th:

»hardocp.com/article/2010 ··· tel_cpus

it appears to me as if it is possible that newegg misunderstood the nature of the problem at that point.
Note newegg's discussion of part numbers on the heat sink etc. Looking at the pics of the faked "heat sinks" I don't think they even had part numbers stamped on them. It seems possible to me that, at that point, newegg may have thought they had accidentally shipped something different from what the customer had actually received.

Kyle says today that newegg is sticking to this story but I don't see any indication in what he has posted that they have updated or made any official announcement. Kyle pointed back to the contact above dated the 5th. So this isn't really any updated position on newegg's part.

The question of whether this is tied to D&H seems to be based solely on a post kyle made saying that
quote:
Another source is telling us that 300 counterfeit processors were purchased by Newegg from D&H Distributing and that the fakes were delivered last week in a shipment totaling 2000 pieces

As far as I can find this is the only original discussion of this and this has spread like wildfire. It isn't clear to me that any official newegg representative has ever made this claim so I don't think we have good corroboration yet that D&H is involved. I can understand D&H irritation at this point. It may turn out that they were mistakenly implicated in this as a result of this one source, about which I don't think we have any additional information.

In short we don't really know much yet, except that a number of people seem to have received these and newegg is replacing them.

I agree that if this demo claim remains newegg's only response on this that it is troubling, but it's too early to pass judgment on that. I hope that this doesn't open a can of worms that uncovers questionable supply chain practices with newegg or D&H or any other link in the chain. Note I am not making any claims or accusations about anyone or any company. We don't know what has happened. I hope we will ultimately get good answers.

The following also appears to be one of the first threads and includes pictures:

»www.overclockers.com/for ··· =6422425

At this point this seems to be all we really know. The rest is just endless speculation on a million message boards. If anyone has additional information from original sources I would be interested in looking at it.

BTW I am in no way tied to any of these companies or the parties involved. I'm just trying to get at the truth as best I can see it based on what we know so far.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

What you are saying sounds reasonable to me, perhaps waiting to see what flushes out is best. I just hope newegg is up front about things in time.

asdfdfdfdfdf
@opera-mini.net

asdfdfdfdfdf to Cabal

Anon

to Cabal
"it appears to me as if it is possible that newegg misunderstood the nature of the problem at that point."

Having seen close up photos of the box numbers and pic of a fan stuck on the heat sink, I'm even more confused about how to interpret the newegg response on the 5th. They seem to have known more, early on, than I originally thought. I'm doubting what I wrote in the paragraph above.
Kiwi88
Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Bryant, AR

Kiwi88 to Cabal

Premium Member

to Cabal
Sounds like a drive-by trucker with a stop off, the Newegg store is very different than than the distributing point warehouses. Many possibilities exist between the order and delivery points.

elios
join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

elios to Cabal

to Cabal
»gizmodo.com/5488699/newe ··· -shipped
new info IPEX sold them

Doctor Four
My other vehicle is a TARDIS
Premium Member
join:2000-09-05
Dallas, TX

Doctor Four to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
said by signmeuptoo94:

»hothardware.com/News/New ··· ting-It/

Looks like D&H is going after the press now! That makes them look even more scummy. WTF ever happened to freedom of the press? D&H needs to be punished if they knew what they were doing and are trying to intimidate the press from reporting it.
That is very telling, and it only puts an even more negative light on them. Plus, you don't fire off legal threats like that without facing anti-SLAPP action. At the very least, the Streisand Effect will take place as a result.

elios
Springfield, MO

elios

D&H has right to now
it was IPEX not D&H that sold them to newegg

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

1 edit

signmeuptoo94 to Cabal

Premium Member

to Cabal
It can't be this IPEX?

»www.ipexinc.com/Content/ ··· de=en-CA

EDIT: Naw it must be this outfit:

»www.ipexinfo.com/

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

2 edits

pnjunction

Premium Member

Don't know but we should get some confirmation so I know where to direct my nerd rage.

Edit: Bah who cares I need somewhere to direct my nerd rage now! I can always redirect it later when the truth comes out.

elios
Springfield, MO

elios

it is out read the link i just posted
Bobcat79
Premium Member
join:2001-02-04

1 edit

Bobcat79 to elios

Premium Member

to elios
IPEX is not an authorized Intel distributor. So why is Newegg buying from them? Why is Newegg buying grey market processors?

EDIT: Official Newegg statement, for those who haven't seen it:
»www.facebook.com/note.ph ··· 85759167

Ken Peterson
Premium Member
join:2000-12-08

Ken Peterson to Cabal

Premium Member

to Cabal
Newegg fires IPEX in dodgy Intel chip row

NORTH AMERICAN online retailer Newegg has fired IPEX as a supplier for shipping it dodgy counterfeit CPUs.

»www.theinquirer.net/inqu ··· chip-row

elios
Springfield, MO

elios to Bobcat79

to Bobcat79
price some one got a "great" deal from them newegg runs on very low margins
that 860 you got in the other thread at Microcenter; Microcenter is taking losses on in hopes youll buy a mobo and ram at the same time same with the 920s they sell
sragle
join:2005-08-08
San Jose, CA

sragle to Ken Peterson

to Ken Peterson
I wanted to lern more about IPEX InfoTech and turns out there web site has been removed, makes me wonder whats going on over that place, someone shutting them down? or they just getting too much traffic from the media that they could not handle it.

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans
join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON

Mashiki to Bobcat79

to Bobcat79
said by Bobcat79:

IPEX is not an authorized Intel distributor. So why is Newegg buying from them? Why is Newegg buying grey market processors?
Because it's cheap, easy and most of the time you still get what you pay for. Ingram Micro got burned in the same way several years ago. Counterfeit/silkscreened/etc processors are nothing new in the market.

asdfdfdfdfdf
@opera-mini.net

asdfdfdfdfdf to Cabal

Anon

to Cabal
I hope there is some follow up by journalists about ipex, the fact that ipex isn't an authorized distributor, and whether this tells us something new about how newegg gets it's product. I would really appreciate an in depth story about the underbelly of distribution, what authorization fully means, what the implications are to not sourcing from authorized distributors, what, if anything, is going on behind the scenes between intel and newegg, intel's view of this and so on.

I have a feeling this is just going to die because there is embarrassment all around, including hardocp with it's source inside newegg. It sounds like kyle just wants it all to go away as soon as possible and hardocp was at the center of the story. Closely watching the way these stories are reported and evolve makes it clear how lazy a lot of journalism is and how little interest even the larger operations show in actually digging around. Other than "Efforts to reach IPEX were unsuccessful" here:

»blogs.wsj.com/digits/201 ··· stomres/

everything else I read was just a repeat of quotes from kyle at hardocp and quotes from the newegg facebook statement and kyle's interest in this story seems to have evaporated. I don't blame him, given the way things played out, but I wish someone would pick up the ball.

I think there is a broader story that deserves to have some serious journalistic attention. I doubt it will receive it.

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans
join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON

Mashiki

Meh. Distribution and auth networks are old news, they got beat to death during other hardware problems in the late 90's early 2000's.

Ray422
MVM
join:2002-03-04
Lost

Ray422 to asdfdfdfdfdf

MVM

to asdfdfdfdfdf
Surprise, surprise, Ipex shifts the blame.
...and the trail continues.
»www.crn.com/hardware/223 ··· TMY32JVN

Wonder how long before we get to the Chinese maze of suppliers, and the lost accountability for such a giant scam.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

1 recommendation

signmeuptoo94 to Cabal

Premium Member

to Cabal
Shouldn't the FBI get involved with this? Hopefully they could dig out the truth!