uniqs
share rss forum feed

theeinstein
Premium
join:2003-07-31
Fernandina Beach, FL

1 edit

disgusting

Well at least AT&T will never let you down.. If there was ever a doubt they are now worse than Big Red.. the "globe" is refereed to as the "death star" and they live up to it!

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
I will admit this is pretty freaking weak. It ruins the whole idea of Android.

Dread
On course
Premium
join:2005-02-28
Bronx, NY
kudos:8
reply to theeinstein
Yup working as intended.

I find it funny that there is no Google search on the device despite being a on Android OS, way to fail AT&T
--
Assuming Direct Control.

theeinstein
Premium
join:2003-07-31
Fernandina Beach, FL
Its pretty sad that Google even allows it.. It proves that even they will bend over to the dollar!

NeoandGeo

join:2003-05-10
Harrison, TN
If they didn't allow it, it would look bad on them.

elios

join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO
reply to Dread
doesnt that kinda defeat the point of Android?
makes me wonder if it even has the google maps GPS ap

ISurfTooMuch

join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to theeinstein
said by theeinstein:

Its pretty sad that Google even allows it.. It proves that even they will bend over to the dollar!
Google released Android as open source software, so it can be modified at will by anyone who wants to use it. So AT&T took Android, crippled the hell out of it, and handed it to Moto to load onto the Backflip. Google had no say in the matter.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to theeinstein
said by theeinstein:

Well at least AT&T will never let you down.. If there was ever a doubt they are now worse than Big Red.. the "globe" is refereed to as the "death star" and they live up to it!
This is why Apple & AT&T were such a good fit. Both companies are pathologically controlling and want things their way, no matter what the customer may want. I am surprised that AT&T even let Android phones on their system - even a crippled version of it.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO

3 edits

1 recommendation

said by FFH5:

This is why Apple & AT&T were such a good fit. Both companies are pathologically controlling and want things their way, no matter what the customer may want.
Prior to the iPhone, I wouldn't agree with this statement. As a Cingular customer one of the things I've liked most about their service was that all the phones I got were pretty much unencumbered. My 3650 wasn't even locked. The tethering features weren't hacked out of my 3650, V559, HTC 3125, blackjack, or HTC 8595. If I wanted my own ringtones I simply put them on my phones. If I wanted pictures out of the phones, I'd do a simple OBEX exchange. Application installs were always unrestricted. There was some AT&T branding stuff loaded in, but it rarely got in my way. Being used to this freedom, I wouldn't touch Verizon with a ten foot pole.

Things like locking billing rates to the type of phone you insert your SIM into didn't appear until after the iPhone launch. This stuff about cutting Google out of Android is a big step in the wrong direction for them.

--
AT&T U-Hearse
Your funeral. Delivered.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
kudos:3
reply to ptrowski
said by ptrowski:

I will admit this is pretty freaking weak. It ruins the whole idea of Android.
Yea.. this is a DINO phone.. Droid In Name Only.

I just find it really funny that they removed GOOGLE of all things and put Yahoo on it.. hrmmmmmm..

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
kudos:3
reply to djrobx
You wouldn't agree, not even in the slightest?

My biggest problem with at&t pre-iPhone was that every phone had that dang death-star button on it that you couldn't de-activate.. every time I hit it, I got charged for data, like it or not. Couldn't remove the media mall or a couple other pay per use apps.. When I called to block them, they said I couldn't.

I will say, thank god the iPhone doesn't have that stuff on it.

S_engineer
Premium
join:2007-05-16
Chicago, IL
reply to ISurfTooMuch
It really doesn't matter....everyone knew this would be the result once AT&T got a hold of it so this should be no surprise.
The only real surprise here is that people thought that AT&T would allow an open source platform onto thier network.
--
BF69~~~Please stop suffocating gerbils!

KodiacZiller
Premium
join:2008-09-04
kudos:2
reply to ISurfTooMuch
said by ISurfTooMuch:

said by theeinstein:

Google released Android as open source software, so it can be modified at will by anyone who wants to use it. So AT&T took Android, crippled the hell out of it, and handed it to Moto to load onto the Backflip. Google had no say in the matter.
I'm no IP lawyer, but Android appears to be somewhat dual-licensed. What I mean is that it runs the Linux kernel and the kernel is licensed under the GPL, which means any modifications must, by law, be released as open source. However, the Google side of the OS (the more user-level stuff) is mostly licensed under the Apache license which does allow a company to modify the source for proprietary reasons (much like the BSD license which is what allowed Apple to take BSD and modify it without giving back). So, really, I guess we can blame Google for releasing much of Android under a license that is not copyleft friendly.

At any rate, I think it's a matter of time before this device is hacked by reverse engineers.
--
Getting people to stop using windows is more or less the same as trying to get people to stop smoking tobacco products. They dont want to change; they are happy with slowly dying inside. -- munky99999

en102
Canadian, eh?

join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA
reply to fiberguy
I had removed data and sms/mms from all my devices.
Later on with the Tilt, I enabled PPU and used MoDaCo Nodata.

As a 'cheap' hack, all you had to do was change the APN so that data wouldn't be used.

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH
reply to fiberguy
Why? It was bound to happen. After all ATT has they're partnership with Yahoo! Not with Google.

If they used Yahoo! they could tie pretty much anything to this phone without a problem, especially since the OS is open source and free to use anyway they want.
--
www.twopugsbrand.com ONLINE STORE NOW ONLINE! up to 50% off SRP of Happy Tails Spa products.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ
reply to elios
said by elios:

doesnt that kinda defeat the point of Android?
makes me wonder if it even has the google maps GPS ap
and not have an opportunity to charge you an extra $10/month for AT&T's own "navigator" service? surely, you can't be serious.
--
Front Line Force Fortress Forever

jinco

@comcast.net
reply to theeinstein

thats where you are wrong at that only shows what you think you know, android is a OPEN SOURCE program there for att can do what it wants to it, it show how much greater android is over the iphone. Android= America, Iphone= Iraq (pre-war)