spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

battleop

join:2005-09-28

Cisco CSR-3

Ever notice how messy Cisco Datacenters are? There is an episode of Modern Marvels that shows a Cisco DC that's worse than some of the worse DYI installs.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOcAlD8XsSY

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

Are you talking about the video you posted? If that was an engineering lab, it looked pretty good. In our lab, stuff gets moved around a lot, and very rarely do you see extreme neatness like you see on this forum for permanent installations.
--
bobrk

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5
reply to battleop

I'd agree with bobrk.

If this were one of Ciscos production datacentres, I'd hazard a guess the cabling and equipment is much neater.

Labs for testing often have gear comming in and out, moving around, configurations changing (line cards added, removed), cables moving between devices. Its simply "impossible" to apply production cabling standards in a lab when things change so frequently.

Production networks by nature should change configuration less often, so its much easier to wire things up properly when it'll be left alone for a much longer time.

Still, in any case, it doesnt hurt to "try" and be a bit neat about things even in a lab. Ever tried to remove a large devide through a rats nest of cables criss crossing racks? Its not easy, and not fun (snagging, pulling, potentially damaging cables), and can be annoying if you bring down a link that was being tested or used for a particular purpose.

battleop

Yea but this is a video that is showing off the latest and greatest router. You would think that if they were going to put the effort into a promotional video they would spruce it up.

jmich
Premium
join:2001-08-28
Toms River, NJ
reply to battleop

I love her sandals! Hope she never drops a card on her foot, and why isnt she wearing a wrist ground strap?

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

said by jmich:

I love her sandals! Hope she never drops a card on her foot, and why isnt she wearing a wrist ground strap?
People wear wrist ground straps in the DC?
--
bobrk

jmich
Premium
join:2001-08-28
Toms River, NJ

we're required when working on any chassis

howtoposter

@mts.net
reply to battleop

So How would I get a job like that, switching out hardware all day? Do you need ccna or something like this? Is there a specific job title this person has?

battleop

reply to bobrk

I'll admit that I do not always wear one. It really depends on what I am doing though. If I am swapping out a card in a router or switch that has a handle I will probably not go to the trouble. I do touch the case of the router before removing the card and then touch the router as I insert the card.

Most anything that requires me to touch the electronics like a processor or memory then I will.

NetAdmin1
CCNA

join:2008-05-22
reply to battleop

said by battleop:

Yea but this is a video that is showing off the latest and greatest router. You would think that if they were going to put the effort into a promotional video they would spruce it up.
I don't think it was that messy that it detracted from the video. Of course that is probably because I've seen enough setups that are worse than that either in person or in photos from other folks around the industry.
--
Kilroy was here

battleop

reply to howtoposter

It depends on the company. Some companies want pretty certs over experience while others want experience over certs. I my self would look for experience over certs. Experience and a personality that fits in with the team will carry more weight than a super dorky guy with a ccna and no people skills.

callenbrand
Chad

join:2005-07-31
Spring Hill, KS
reply to battleop

Wow, If this is an actual marketing video from Cisco I'm really shocked the cabling looks like that.
--
visit me at www.searchusonline.com