spc
Search similar:

uniqs
michaelriot
join:2009-03-07

michaelriot

fiber to the house how cool is that

»tinyurl.com/ya6owhf

All new houses to get fiber to the house how great is that.
Now I wish I was in the market for a new house (and my town as in the list)

Muncher
join:2008-04-15

Muncher

Now how long before I can get them to drop FTTH at my house.

Dream the impossible dream...etc
goglay
join:2006-08-03
Surrey, BC

goglay to michaelriot

to michaelriot
Wow! FTTH

I can't even attain the full 3Mbps........ talk about far fetched
goalcam
join:2001-06-03
Port Coquitlam, BC

goalcam to michaelriot

to michaelriot
I was part of a trial for FTTH/GPON out here in the lower mainland last year, and will now be subscribing. 25mbps down.

Muncher
join:2008-04-15

Muncher

The important question is 'How much upload speed?'
j0ly
join:2007-03-22
Calgary, AB

j0ly to michaelriot

to michaelriot
i have Fiber in my house right now provided by Telus, we built 2.5 yrs ago in Copperfield in Calgary... Would love to know when its going to be used...
goalcam
Port Coquitlam, BC

goalcam to Muncher

to Muncher
During the trial it was quoted as 1mbps but actual speeds were about 2-3mbps up.

Patman023
Ex-TELUS employee, Ubuntu Lover
join:2009-03-01
Edmonton, AB

Patman023 to j0ly

to j0ly
call in to 310 mytv and say that you have fier run to your home when you speak with a care agent... that might be all it takes...
TierX
join:2009-01-20
Canada

TierX to michaelriot

to michaelriot
This is nothing new, all new subdivisions for the past several years have been getting fiber (usually via a composite drop). This announcement is simply that TELUS is no longer placing a copper drop in place as well, these new areas will be getting conduit only, with a fiber stub eventually pushed through.

In these areas you will have to get FTTH from TELUS or a cable modem from Shaw. Since there is no copper, you cannot get DSL (wholesale DSL providers will love that).
michaelriot
join:2009-03-07

michaelriot

which hopefully means you will get fiber without having to be on some kind of trial or in the case of the other person from Calgary that can not get it active.

One would hope you call in an get it active since that is the only way that they can get your business.

I do not know what this means for phone service would it mean digital phone (hence loss of power means loss of phone service) should the UPS fail.
freejazz_RdJ
join:2009-03-10

freejazz_RdJ

If you read the attached document, it means that yes, all services are provided over fiber only, including voice. The attached document specifies that Telus will provide an UPS for power during outages. You need power to the ONT in order to provide the voice service.
kylez
join:2009-03-26

2 edits

kylez to michaelriot

to michaelriot
Anyone have any idea if this is going to be offered in West Vancouver anytime soon? (Residential, not Downtown)
Gardener
Premium Member
join:2006-10-19
Burnaby, BC

Gardener to michaelriot

Premium Member

to michaelriot
Whoever gets fiber to the home - with good HDTV - will scoop the customers. Gentlemen, start your engines.
pb2k
join:2005-05-30
Calgary, AB

pb2k to TierX

to TierX
said by TierX:

This is nothing new, all new subdivisions for the past several years have been getting fiber (usually via a composite drop).
On the contrary, this is something new; from here on out TELUS has no choice but to provide GPON. It's nice that some of the newer areas have a few fibers in the drop, but I doubt Telus will be rushing back to rip out 7330s and UMCs that were put in to cover the footprint while management and tech strategy hum hawed over derived voice and platforms for half a decade.
goalcam
Port Coquitlam, BC

goalcam to michaelriot

to michaelriot
Okay, my GPON is set up now.. but I'm only getting about 23mbit down and 0.5mbit up. Happy with the download speeds but the line seems to be somewhat lossy and the upload speeds are crap. Going to have to give Telus a call and see WTF is going on.
babybunnies
join:2010-01-17
Kelowna, BC

babybunnies to michaelriot

to michaelriot
Fibre to the house and Fibre for the last mile (what new houses are actually getting) are two very different systems.
JBear
join:2005-02-24
canada

JBear

Fiber to the house > Fiber for the last mile, right?

You would think they would just wire the new subdivisions with fiber, and finish it off with Fiber to the house (in conduits in case faster technology comes along)? Is that the ideal set up?
Nitroxide
join:2009-06-05

1 recommendation

Nitroxide to Muncher

to Muncher
said by Muncher:

The important question is 'How much upload speed?'
Garbage. It's absolutely ridiculous that Telus has fiber to the home and upload speeds are 2mb... It's even more ridiculous that download is only at 25Mb/s.