All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

septcasey
join:2006-09-07
United State

septcasey

[help] What are the most popular paid web hosts?

I am looking to compile a list of the most popular paid website hosts out there so I can choose amongst them a web host for my website. My website will have the following content and I will need a web host that supports all of this:

PHP Message Boards
Image Galleries
Video Galleries

Now I want to think the most popular paid web hosts would also be the cheapest ones but I still want to know either way which ones everyone out there is going to these days. I want a web host where I can feel as comfortable about the service as I do my Google services. Some things that are of interest to me in a web host are:

Ease of use!
Price
Offer domain name hosting
HTML and Website Builder options
99.9% (or higher) up time
Community Forums

I have never used a paid web host before but I know there are thousands out there. I don't like to just pick from the pile but rather go with the most popular ones for more assurance and peace of mine. I would like to say that I will not be considering GoDaddy because I do not like their advertising.

So, what is out there for me?
MatthewAlan
join:2007-09-01
Jackson, TN

MatthewAlan

I recommend Surpass.

PHP Message Boards - Yes, all hosts with PHP and MySQL can do this.
Image Galleries - Use something like coppermine.
Video Galleries - Do you want users to upload? If so, you wont be able to use shared hosting. Go for VPS or dedicated.

Ease of use! - They are
Price - Decent for shared, not sure on VPS/dedicated
Offer domain name hosting - all paid hosts do.
HTML and Website Builder options - they use cPanel, where you can FTP in, or upload via cPanel file manager.
E-Mail - Yes.
99.9% (or higher) up time - I rarely have downtime
Community Forums - »surmunity.com/

ViviTheMage
vivi
Premium Member
join:2002-10-28
Minneapolis, MN

ViviTheMage to septcasey

Premium Member

to septcasey
for an image gallery, check out gallery, or XEN...very light weight, and run rather quickly. XEN integrates with Wordpress really well too.

septcasey
United State

septcasey

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Any other popular web hosts out there? Trying to get a list here so I can have a little variety.

ViviTheMage
vivi
Premium Member
Minneapolis, MN

ViviTheMage to septcasey

Premium Member

to septcasey
Popular, or capable webhost?

septcasey
United State

septcasey

Popular. I would think a popular one is a capable one. Please no speeches on this. I am just interested in what most people are using these days. Like Facebook and stuff.

ViviTheMage
vivi
Premium Member
Minneapolis, MN

ViviTheMage to septcasey

Premium Member

to septcasey
If that is all you want, look here :

»www.top10webhosting.com/

That list has the most popular ones for the most part...

i'd add innohosting.com, and maybe hostnine.com as well.

TomR_in_MI
Premium Member
join:2002-12-19
SE MI

TomR_in_MI to septcasey

Premium Member

to septcasey
When I originally got into online business I bought a special priced year-long package with Surpass but they were unable/willing to solve lagging issues with my server. The lags were significant and they were unable to resolve them during the entire 12 months of my contract even after I moved almost all of my sites off of their servers.

After a few months of my prepaid contract with Surpass I started moving my sites to Hostgator and for the last 2 and a half years have been very happy with my servers response time at Hostgator. Twice in that time I have had to contact Hostgator's support and both times I have been very satisfied with their ability to solve the issues in a timely and professional manner.

Tom

KLH
join:2001-09-24
Vincennes, IN

KLH to septcasey

to septcasey
I've used www.hostrocket.com for many years, and have had very minor issues with them over the years, and would recommend them.

Jeff
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium Member
join:2002-12-24
GMT -5

Jeff to septcasey

Premium Member

to septcasey
I've used Hostgator for years and am very happy with them.