spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

septcasey

join:2006-09-07
United State

[help] What are the most popular paid web hosts?

I am looking to compile a list of the most popular paid website hosts out there so I can choose amongst them a web host for my website. My website will have the following content and I will need a web host that supports all of this:

PHP Message Boards
Image Galleries
Video Galleries

Now I want to think the most popular paid web hosts would also be the cheapest ones but I still want to know either way which ones everyone out there is going to these days. I want a web host where I can feel as comfortable about the service as I do my Google services. Some things that are of interest to me in a web host are:

Ease of use!
Price
Offer domain name hosting
HTML and Website Builder options
99.9% (or higher) up time
Community Forums

I have never used a paid web host before but I know there are thousands out there. I don't like to just pick from the pile but rather go with the most popular ones for more assurance and peace of mine. I would like to say that I will not be considering GoDaddy because I do not like their advertising.

So, what is out there for me?

MatthewAlan

join:2007-09-01
Jackson, TN

I recommend Surpass.

PHP Message Boards - Yes, all hosts with PHP and MySQL can do this.
Image Galleries - Use something like coppermine.
Video Galleries - Do you want users to upload? If so, you wont be able to use shared hosting. Go for VPS or dedicated.

Ease of use! - They are
Price - Decent for shared, not sure on VPS/dedicated
Offer domain name hosting - all paid hosts do.
HTML and Website Builder options - they use cPanel, where you can FTP in, or upload via cPanel file manager.
E-Mail - Yes.
99.9% (or higher) up time - I rarely have downtime
Community Forums - »surmunity.com/

ViviTheMage
vivi
Premium
join:2002-10-28
Minneapolis, MN
reply to septcasey

for an image gallery, check out gallery, or XEN...very light weight, and run rather quickly. XEN integrates with Wordpress really well too.
--
»vivicalhosting.com - Reliable, and very affordable web hosting, VPS, and Dedicated solutions.

septcasey

United State

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Any other popular web hosts out there? Trying to get a list here so I can have a little variety.

ViviTheMage
vivi
Premium
Minneapolis, MN
reply to septcasey

Popular, or capable webhost?

septcasey

United State

Popular. I would think a popular one is a capable one. Please no speeches on this. I am just interested in what most people are using these days. Like Facebook and stuff.

ViviTheMage
vivi
Premium
Minneapolis, MN
reply to septcasey

If that is all you want, look here :

»www.top10webhosting.com/

That list has the most popular ones for the most part...

i'd add innohosting.com, and maybe hostnine.com as well.
--
»vivicalhosting.com - Reliable, and very affordable web hosting, VPS, and Dedicated solutions.

TomR_in_MI
Premium
join:2002-12-19
SE MI
reply to septcasey

When I originally got into online business I bought a special priced year-long package with Surpass but they were unable/willing to solve lagging issues with my server. The lags were significant and they were unable to resolve them during the entire 12 months of my contract even after I moved almost all of my sites off of their servers.

After a few months of my prepaid contract with Surpass I started moving my sites to Hostgator and for the last 2 and a half years have been very happy with my servers response time at Hostgator. Twice in that time I have had to contact Hostgator's support and both times I have been very satisfied with their ability to solve the issues in a timely and professional manner.

Tom

KLH

join:2001-09-24
Vincennes, IN
reply to septcasey

I've used www.hostrocket.com for many years, and have had very minor issues with them over the years, and would recommend them.
--
Fiber to the Home, gotta love it!

Jeffrey
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium
join:2002-12-24
Long Island
kudos:3
reply to septcasey

I've used Hostgator for years and am very happy with them.