spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Steeler_Fan

join:2009-12-21

Mulch or lava rock for flower beds?

It about that time of year to purchase new Mulch for the flower beds, but it so expensive every year. I need 40 yards. Several people I have spoken with suggested rather than using mulch go with lava rock, since it lasts longer, does not fades. Has anyone tried doing something like this, does it work better in the long run?

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
join:2009-09-11

4 edits

Mulch holds water. Decide from there!
If decide to go mulch do not use Non-Organic mulch.
If you go lava rock make sure it has smooth edges the sharp edges can cut the stems up as they grow.

A good read here
»www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/cons···ing.html

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Stablehost.com
reply to Steeler_Fan

And also think about how hard it will be to take it out if you should want to. I went from rock to mulch. Eventually weeds will get hold and grow in the rock. Pain in the butt. Just use a hoe on the mulch and weeds are gone.

I vote to stay with mulch. Just get better mulch so you don't have to put so much down every year.
--
Some people are like slinkies - not really good for much.
But they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL
kudos:1

I've read you are NOT supposed to mulch every year, every other year. Being you give the current mulch time to decompose, if you kept on putting in year after year, it can get matted down and not let water or air in and you get fungus. Also you can till it in alt years you don't add mulch to freshen it up.

Steeler_Fan

join:2009-12-21
reply to Steeler_Fan

Thanks all for the advise so far. We have always used the triple shredded mulch, as the wife likes the dark color of it. Though it does not seem to last well for more than a year or 2. I have raked it all up this year and it just not look very good. The fact we have so many flower beds does not help either. I would much rather use mulch as it would be less pain on my back. The prices I have range from about 825, to 900 this year so far.

dwiese01

join:2001-03-02
reply to Steeler_Fan

MULCH, MULCH, MULCH

I removed lava rock that the former owner had in our flower beds. It was always ending up where I didn't want it, in the yard to be stepped on by bare feet, through my neighbor's window via my lawn mower, at the bottom of my pool, etc.

I hated that stuff!

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
reply to Steeler_Fan

I can get all the mulch I can haul for free from the city. The problem is you have no idea what's in it, whatever people dumped at the tree dump gets shredded. I usually just buy cedar mulch by the bag, but I don't need a huge amount.

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-15
none
reply to Steeler_Fan

contact local tree services to see if anyone sells it by the truck load. i can buy mulch for 2-3.00 a bag at lowes, or pay 30.00-40.00 for a 12 yard load of it from several tree services here! it may not all be the same type of wood, but it looks nice and does the job.
--
Lack of Preparation on YOUR Part does NOT Constitute an Emergency on Mine!

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2
reply to UHF

Sounds like free termites.
--
Striving for Parfection.

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4
reply to Steeler_Fan

Another option is pine straw. We used it at our home in Georgia. It lets a a lot of water and air through for healthy plants. It does not compact like some mulches can, and it looks good. It's not as popular everywhere though, I can't find it easily up here in WI. »www.pinestrawdirect.com/
--
"On a motorcycle, you're penetrating distance right along with the machine. In a car you're just a spectator; the windshield's like a TV." ~ Kenny "Von Dutch" Howard

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to Steeler_Fan

Ever thought about the rubber mulch?? Never used it myself so I cannot comment on it.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network
reply to Cho Baka

said by Cho Baka:

Sounds like free termites.
We don't have many termites around here, but I'll still pass on the tree dump mulch.

Rxdoxx
Premium,Ex-Mod 2002-13
join:2000-11-03
Middle River, MD
kudos:11
reply to dwiese01

said by dwiese01:

MULCH, MULCH, MULCH

I removed lava rock that the former owner had in our flower beds. It was always ending up where I didn't want it, in the yard to be stepped on by bare feet, through my neighbor's window via my lawn mower, at the bottom of my pool, etc.

I hated that stuff!
+1
And once the mower has kabonged one, chances are it has sharp edges to step on.

There are also products like »www.barkbrite.com/ which allow you to re-color mulch with a sprayer, so in the off year between remulching, it is pretty easy to deal with the fade and get it looking sharp again for the season.
--
Was a Cruise Fanatic, one cruise on Princess cured me. Bleah

Sandman
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Strafford, MO
reply to Steeler_Fan

Here's another vote against cinders (lava rock) because they get everywhere.
--
Rule #62: Don't take yourself so damn seriously!

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi
reply to ropeguru

Rubber has a lot of oil in it.