Phil
Rojo Sol
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
Downers Grove, IL

1 edit

Phil

Premium Member

[Solved] System error 6118 has occurred.

C:\>net view
System error 6118 has occurred.

The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available

The above error message has been driving me up a wall today. In a nutshell no work station on the LAN is able to access the list of available works stations that are part of Workgroup. This is usually done through Windows Explorer, My Network Places, Entire Network, Microsoft Windows Network, Workgroup (from the command line, "net view").

Now accessing mapped drives works fine and so does connecting to a share by entering \\target_share. It appears that no server or work station is delegated as a master browser and maintaining this list.

I searched around for answers and came across this thread which contains quite a few recommendations, but none worked. And of those recommendations the majority applied to a single computer having an issue, not every work station on the LAN.

The only remaining thing I haven't tried at this point is seeing what happens when the majority of work systems is powered down at the end of the day. After all this only started happening recently so some change must of been introduced to cause this.

EDIT:
As it turns out it was the CentOS box. A quick adjustment to the smb.conf and all is running smoothly again.
Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil
join:2006-05-14
Colorado

Bink

Re: System error 6118 has occurred.

This is a legacy technology and should not be relied upon.

Phil
Rojo Sol
Premium Member
Downers Grove, IL

Phil

Premium Member

Really? What replaces it?
Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil
join:2006-05-14
Colorado

1 recommendation

Bink

Nothing that I know of. It’s an old workgroup technology that was never very reliable and you were never ensured a consistent view. I guess DFS replaces this on the server side.

Phil
Rojo Sol
Premium Member
Downers Grove, IL

Phil

Premium Member

Hmm, looks like a CentOS 5 installation trumps the Windows servers rank wise and has taken the master browser role. Not sure if this is the problem yet...