uniqs
share rss forum feed

Tychicus
Children are our most precious resource
Premium
join:2002-01-18
Helena, MT

Rumor or Fact

I have heard talk about Bresnan upgrading the bandwidth but can not confirm any such move from my end and am wondering if anyone has the real skinny
--
Team Discovery

squirrel83
cheers

join:2005-05-02
Honolulu, HI

That would be awesome but im sure it is in Colorado first or WY.

Omega
Displaced Ohioan
Premium
join:2002-07-30
Somerset, NJ
reply to Tychicus

I think they need to fix their network to accommodate for the current bandwidth first.

They finally fixed my area about a month ago...probably because it is their largest market, but many more places see less than stellar speeds at night.
--
Whats smells like blue?

Tychicus
Premium
Helena, MT

2 edits
reply to squirrel83

said by squirrel83:

That would be awesome but im sure it is in Colorado first or WY.
--
Team Discovery

I think they would do better to start at the most remote locations no matter the population and work inward rather than hodge podge the network together but you are probably right

ScottinKalis

@bresnan.net
reply to Tychicus

Until docsis 3.0 is adapted by Bresnan, we won't be seeing much in terms of more "speed". I would prefer that they deal with the latency issues first. I am on their highest tier for broadband and I rarely saturate it when downloading. I would like to see more upload capability.

»Bresnan Waiting On DOCSIS 3.0

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

said by ScottinKalis :

Until docsis 3.0 is adapted by Bresnan, we won't be seeing much in terms of more "speed". I would prefer that they deal with the latency issues first. I am on their highest tier for broadband and I rarely saturate it when downloading. I would like to see more upload capability.
..which probably won't happen until DOCSIS 3.0 is implemented. If most people read how DOCSIS 3.0 works, they'd understand it's MUCH better than 1.1 or 2.0.

Plus, DOCSIS 3.0 isn't a "drop in" replacement. They have to make sure the new gear is going to cooperate with the existing fiber/copper infrastructure. They also have to replace ALL of the CM/MTAs in place. Not an easy task.

Also, it's most of the other people (light users, elderly, etc) that keep the old stuff purring along, so they have to go to their house and upgrade their cable modem (if they let them).

Now, if there was a month that Bresnan said "Trade in all DOCSIS 1.1 and 2.0 modems and we'll replace it with a DOCSIS 3.0 one", probably half of the people would get the message and the other half would require a truck roll.
--
Bresnan 15M/1M
MyWS[P4HT@3.2GHz,2GB RAM,2x1TB HDDs,Win7]
WifeWS[P4HT@3GHz,2GB RAM,60GB HDD,Win7]
Router[2xP3@1GHz,512MB RAM,18GB HDD,SMC 8432BTA,2xDigital DE504,Compaq NC3131,Intel Pro/1000MT,IBM Gigabit Ethernet-SX,Allied Telesyn AT-2560FX,Gentoo Linux]

koolkid1563
Premium,MVM
join:2005-11-06
Powell, WY

said by Simba7:

...They also have to replace ALL of the CM/MTAs in place. Not an easy task.
To take full advantage of D3, yes, but they can deploy a D3 CMTS and maintain the D1/D2 CM/MTAs in the field and upgrade subs at their own pace from what I understand.

cablegeek01

join:2003-05-13
USA
kudos:1
reply to Tychicus

It's on the way, but major markets will get it first.
Bresnan just completed a 10Gb ring that runs from Seattle through Billings, Casper, Cheyenne, and Grand Junction, and terminates in Denver.
It will allow for better access to off-net (off of bresnan's network) websites and services.
Speeds should begin to increase as these markets will now have access to better 1Gb+ internet connections through Seattle and Denver.
I've heard rumors that D3 may be implemented by the end of 2010 in some of these areas, but I don't know if that's true.

Omega
Displaced Ohioan
Premium
Somerset, NJ

Is Cheyenne considered a major market area?

I LOL at that thought, but compared to the other cities in this region, it is a major market!
--
Whats smells like blue?

cablegeek01

USA

I still cant get over the fact that the population of Wyoming is only about 300,000
It may be one of the markets that will get D3 rolled out first. I'm not sure what speeds Bresnan is planning on launching, but I wouldn't be surprised if they came out with 30mb or (oh please oh please oh please) even 50Mb packages.

cablegeek01

USA
reply to Omega

They spent a lot of time/money upgrading their major markets to Cisco 10K and Arris C4 CMTS units that are D3 capable, so I know for a fact that it's coming soon

/Cheyenne just received the C4 upgrade and another 1Gb of Internet capacity in the last month or so, and I saw a HUGE increase in speed.

Omega
Displaced Ohioan
Premium
Somerset, NJ

Yea, I finally saw my pings drop from 500ms+ to less than 100. It only took them 6 months.

I was literally 2 weeks away from canceling.

btw, Wyoming has a bit of 500,000 people now. I'm not a huge fan of the state, but it beats commuting from Fort Collins every day. One thing I do like it is cost me $15/year to register my car with the state. Can't beat $1.20/month to drive my car legally!
--
Whats smells like blue?

christcorp
Premium
join:2001-05-21
Cheyenne, WY

1 edit
reply to Tychicus

omega: what part of town do you live in? Is it old and crappy cable? I live in the Sun Valley area. Local ping times to cheyenne servers are about 25ms. I do ping tests to Los Angeles and New York, and they average in the 45-50ms range.

It's obviously got to be a cabling issue with your neighborhood, to your house, or the modem. If it was at the head end, it would affect all of us. Didn't see where you mentioned speeds. If it was over subscription, that would normally suffer too. But I guess that could be a possibility on your local node.

But it's good that your latency has improved. I don't work for Bresnan, but I did use to work for Qwest and installed and designed more DSL than I can count. So many times the problem is the last mile. Neighborhood wiring, house wiring, modem, network, etc... Sounds like at least the quality is moving in the right direction. mike...

koolkid1563
Premium,MVM
Powell, WY

1 edit
reply to cablegeek01

I take it the 10Gb/s ring didn't help the link from Butte to Billings or is there some other issues going on right now?

Trace looks alright though:
traceroute to billings.speedtest.bresnan.net (69.145.254.140), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
1 10.29.20.1 (10.29.20.1) 12.003 ms 5.469 ms 5.680 ms
2 butmtfh2hb6-GE-0-0-0-U120.int.bresnan.net (69.144.94.122) 10.081 ms 11.319 ms 8.151 ms
3 hlnmt002hb7-SO-1-2-0-C10-U0.int.bresnan.net (69.144.94.161) 43.131 ms 48.006 ms 44.745 ms
4 blnmtfh1hb7-GE-0-0-0-U433.int.bresnan.net (69.144.94.201) 21.771 ms 55.873 ms 29.706 ms
5 blnmtfh1svspd.int.bresnan.net (69.145.254.140) 22.242 ms 21.408 ms 23.709 ms

cablegeek01

USA

I don't do too much work with the Montana markets, but I'll ask around and see if there are any known issues, and if so, when the expected resolution should be in place.

Tychicus
Premium
Helena, MT

Thanks cablegeek01 I am glad to see some Bresnan employees here and do appreciate a heads up
--
Team Discovery

koolkid1563
Premium,MVM
Powell, WY

1 edit
reply to cablegeek01

I am beginning to think the network upgrades that cablegeek spoke of didn't fix anything for Butte and any other area that passes through here (know Powell, WY did at one point not sure if they still do). At least tonight Bresnan's own speedtest is looking alright but I can't find anywhere on the internet that is getting decent speeds right now.

Vista SP2 ISO from Microsoft's site

koolkid1563
Premium,MVM
Powell, WY

Connection from home (upload is lower due to audio stream that I host along with the remote session itself):

ScottInKalis

@bresnan.net
reply to Tychicus

Well unless your below 140ms you won't get a decent speed test. You preferably want to be at less than 70: