dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
« Inaccurate!Looks ok for me »
This is a sub-selection from Its a bit slow..
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus to powerspec88

Premium Member

to powerspec88

Re: Its a bit slow..

750Mbps
what's your upload speed supposed to be, 750 as well?

Mine was somewhat close @ work (12Mbps fiber), though there is some traffic going in/out right now.

Agree that harvesting speedtest.net results would be a good idea.

powerspec88
Premium Member
join:2007-03-11
Lees Summit, MO

powerspec88

Premium Member

Yes, 750Mbps up and down. We just got another ISP so you can add 200Mbps to that once we get BGP peering between our other two routers. I work at a data center btw. I just can't believe how slow it is, but then again, who knows how many users are trying to run the test right now.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

said by powerspec88:

Yes, 750Mbps up and down. We just got another ISP so you can add 200Mbps to that once we get BGP peering between our other two routers. I work at a data center btw. I just can't believe how slow it is, but then again, who knows how many users are trying to run the test right now.
pffft we have 2Gbps symmetrical just in one cage.

NetAdmin1
CCNA
join:2008-05-22

NetAdmin1 to powerspec88

to powerspec88
Where I work, we connect to our 10Gbps backbone, but the internet is a lot slower than that because of the Cisco firewall filtering traffic. I'd wager you probably have the same situation - a firewall somewhere with a slower connection than the fiber coming into the building.

funchords
Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

funchords to fifty nine

MVM

to fifty nine
said by fifty nine:

pffft we have 2Gbps symmetrical just in one cage.
Anyone who has a gig to donate to Measurement Lab can contact me. (3 more and I get the toaster oven!)

Hpower
join:2000-06-08
Canyon Country, CA

Hpower to powerspec88

to powerspec88
said by powerspec88:

Crazy. What is 750mbps used for really? Cisco live office video conferences? :P

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

2 edits

fifty nine

said by Hpower:

said by powerspec88:

Crazy. What is 750mbps used for really? Cisco live office video conferences? :P
Our bandwidth (in the datacenter) is used for web hosting including a lot of multimedia content including tons of video, audio, podcasts and radio streams (we're a media company). The office bandwidth is used to transfer video (upload and download) to many places, as well as data replication to various other sites and vendors. We also have video streaming from reporters and of course the VPN, which is a story by itself.

At the last places I worked we've used bandwidth for VOIP, data replication to multiple datacenters and financial application data. However most links were not internet links. They were dedicated circuits.

powerspec88
Premium Member
join:2007-03-11
Lees Summit, MO

powerspec88 to NetAdmin1

Premium Member

to NetAdmin1
said by NetAdmin1:

Where I work, we connect to our 10Gbps backbone, but the internet is a lot slower than that because of the Cisco firewall filtering traffic. I'd wager you probably have the same situation - a firewall somewhere with a slower connection than the fiber coming into the building.
We do no filtering at all. Just a firewall.
powerspec88

powerspec88 to Hpower

Premium Member

to Hpower
We are a data center, so it is used by our clients, and me when i'm there

jadebangle
Premium Member
join:2007-05-22

jadebangle to powerspec88

Premium Member

to powerspec88
said by powerspec88:

it not how many user are running the site it how many user are on this shared connection
750mbit is the total bandwidth of your data center
not dedicated to each user.
« Inaccurate!Looks ok for me »
This is a sub-selection from Its a bit slow..