fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to Ericthorn

Re: The test is inaccurate...

said by Ericthorn:

Agreed - it's giving me about 2.7m down and any other test anywhere I go gives me less than 2m, usually in the 1.8m range which is accurate.

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if the carriers have some hand in this...
I agree. It is pretty inaccurate. It doesn't even match what regular speedtest says:

Here is my result from broadband.gov speedtest:

And here is regular speedtest:

There is no powerboost on my connection.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

There are 2 tests available at BB.gov the Ookla (short test, see maximum powerboost effect) and the Mlab version (larger/more complex test, PB has little effect, (but jitter measuremnet is unrealistic) )
Which test you see first is randomized, everyone should be sure to take BOTH tests, each time they visit the site, so any data collected is closer to reality.
That said it is a beta, and the location data is probably more important than the speed data at this point (if you don't feel comfortable using your own address, please use one nearby, so as not to skew the location HAVE/HAVE NOT part. It's not like you really are hidding using a fake/distant location, they can trace your IP if the really want too anyway.)

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ

The problem is that the mlab test doesn't work with Firefox on Linux, which is what I'm using.

It also doesn't work with chrome on windows 7 which is what I also used.

If this test is IE only they're going to get a lot of skewed results. Not everyone wants to use IE.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

1 edit

said by fifty nine:

The problem is that the mlab test doesn't work with Firefox on Linux, which is what I'm using.

It also doesn't work with chrome on windows 7 which is what I also used.

If this test is IE only they're going to get a lot of skewed results. Not everyone wants to use IE.
From FCC:
Note: the M-Lab application currently does not work with Safari, Chrome, and Opera web browsers.

The ookla test should work:
Ookla also provides free services at their public web site Speedtest.net.
It is the same test as used at speedtest.net

Ericthorn
It only hurts when I laugh
Premium
join:2001-08-10
Paragould, AR

If it's the same then why are the results so skewed? Ookla had inaccurate d/l data while speedtest was accurate.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

said by Ericthorn:

If it's the same then why are the results so skewed? Ookla had inaccurate d/l data while speedtest was accurate.
Are they? I get similar results:

Not identical, but I wouldn't expect them to be. Which speedtest server did FCC choose for ookla test? It may not be the same. And how long the test runs for the FCC vs native speedtest.net may not be the same.

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ

They are way off.

Speedtest.net is more along the line of what I'd expect, whereas broadband.gov's test showed about one third of our total download speed and one fortieth of our total upload speed.

Tsume
Premium
join:2004-02-23
Johnson City, TN
reply to FFH

FCC's test says I get 2200kbps, which is impossible since my line barely can eck out 1500kbps. It's inaccurate, at least for me.