uniqs
share rss forum feed

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
reply to tshirt

Re: The test is inaccurate...

The problem is that the mlab test doesn't work with Firefox on Linux, which is what I'm using.

It also doesn't work with chrome on windows 7 which is what I also used.

If this test is IE only they're going to get a lot of skewed results. Not everyone wants to use IE.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

1 edit
said by fifty nine:

The problem is that the mlab test doesn't work with Firefox on Linux, which is what I'm using.

It also doesn't work with chrome on windows 7 which is what I also used.

If this test is IE only they're going to get a lot of skewed results. Not everyone wants to use IE.
From FCC:
Note: the M-Lab application currently does not work with Safari, Chrome, and Opera web browsers.

The ookla test should work:
Ookla also provides free services at their public web site Speedtest.net.
It is the same test as used at speedtest.net

Ericthorn
It only hurts when I laugh
Premium
join:2001-08-10
Paragould, AR
If it's the same then why are the results so skewed? Ookla had inaccurate d/l data while speedtest was accurate.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
said by Ericthorn:

If it's the same then why are the results so skewed? Ookla had inaccurate d/l data while speedtest was accurate.
Are they? I get similar results:

Not identical, but I wouldn't expect them to be. Which speedtest server did FCC choose for ookla test? It may not be the same. And how long the test runs for the FCC vs native speedtest.net may not be the same.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
They are way off.

Speedtest.net is more along the line of what I'd expect, whereas broadband.gov's test showed about one third of our total download speed and one fortieth of our total upload speed.

Tsume
Premium
join:2004-02-23
Johnson City, TN
reply to FFH
FCC's test says I get 2200kbps, which is impossible since my line barely can eck out 1500kbps. It's inaccurate, at least for me.