spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

josephf

join:2009-04-26

Dialing 311 and other special numbers

Which VoSP support dialing 311 and other similar special numbers?

In cities that utilize these numbers (i.e. New York City), people expect them to work.

gweidenh

join:2002-05-18
Houston, TX
kudos:3
Since 311 would be market specific, probably none.

For instance, here in Houston, 311 points to a Houston hotline for public works repairs.

Im sure New York routes 311 differently.

What I do is use Onsip and make extensions for 311 and 411. I then point 311 and 411 to their associated phone numbers or sip uri's.

Fisamo
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Apex, NC
Reviews:
·Earthlink Cable ..
·VOIPO
reply to josephf
I know that Vonage supports pretty much all of them:
  • 211 - Community-based services like United Way

• 311 - City (gov't) services

• 411 - Directory Assistance (most VoSPs support this)

• 511 - Travel information line

• 711 - Telecom relay (e.g. deaf, hard-of-hearing, speech impediments)

• 811 - Call-before-you-dig

It goes without saying that 911 is supported.

As mentioned by gweidenh See Profile, most of these services are market-specific and would be difficult to support. If you have a service with a provider that fully supports BYOD (and self-configuration) and you have a device with a configurable dial plan (e.g. Linksys PAP2T), you can map these numbers yourself.

josephf

join:2009-04-26
Reviews:
·VoicePulse
reply to gweidenh
said by gweidenh:

Since 311 would be market specific, probably none.
That shouldn't be any more an issue than supporting 911 - which is also market specific.

dcm

join:2008-09-12
Pennsylvania
reply to Fisamo
said by Fisamo:

It goes without saying that 911 is supported.
It goes without saying that the correct statement is 911 (via VoIP) may be supported.

If I dial 911 on my VS outgoing only line, I will not reach 911.

gweidenh

join:2002-05-18
Houston, TX
kudos:3
reply to josephf
The FCC mandates that VoIP providers support 911... and the providers can charge a fee to do so. Even then, 911 support is only accurate if you update your address to reflect your current location.

There is no mandate to support 311 or 411 from the FCC or any other governing body.

burgerwars

join:2004-09-11
Northridge, CA
reply to josephf
Probably the best you could do is find out what actual number dialing 311, 211, 511, etc. dials and program it into your ATA's dial plan, or enter it as a speed dial. I'm unsure what VOIP providers would want to go to the trouble and have that forward correctly depending on what city you live in. As far as I know, there's no requirement for these special numbers like it is with 911.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
reply to josephf
I set up all of the *11 numbers here to point to their actual equivalents. Not that I've ever used it, but it was simple enough to program into the PAP2's dial plan.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to josephf

211 numbers
»www.211.org/

----------------------------------------

311:
Hard to find a national list of alternates but here are some:

NYC: In any borough of New York City call 311.
Outside of New York City call (212) NEW-YORK (212-639-9675)

Chicago: "You can also call your alderman" (Why am I not surprised!)

Houston: (713) 837-0311 (thanks to Michael Graves)

Just check locally....

---------------------------------------

511 numbers:
»www.fhwa.dot.gov/trafficinfo/511.htm

---------------------------------------

811 numbers:
»www.call811.com/state-specific.aspx

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
reply to josephf
"Round here 311 is used as the non-emergency line for the cops, so I just used their regular number as the 311 call. IIRC I did actually use it once, to report what looked like a stolen bicycle that had been ditched under a tree.

Fisamo
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Apex, NC
Reviews:
·Earthlink Cable ..
·VOIPO
reply to dcm
Good point. I did assume that every provider was complying with the FCC's interconnected Voip provider E911 requirement. There have been some providers who thought they could get around it by separating incoming from outgoing services, some who put the burden on their customers to indicate if their service is used in the US before 'enabling' (and charging a monthly fee) the 'feature', and yet others who have ignored it altogether.

911 is market specific, but notice that there are 3rd party E911 vendors (intrado comes to mind) that increase the cost on VoIP providers. That's why they pass that cost on in the form of a '911 support' fee. Were the VoIP providers to add support for 311, 511, 811, etc., the n11 fee on VoIP bills would go up. (Yes, I do know that E911 is also a different animal, because E911 requires the ability to transmit your address to the PSAP, unlike the other n11 services.)