Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

idmitriy

join:2002-02-19
Kent, WA

4 edits

New Comcast install. Pay Install fee?

I signed up through ComcastSpecials.com.

My deal was $19.99/mo. for 6 month and $25 rebate.
When I called Comcast to scheduled install they told me I need to pay $20 install fee (CSR explained that because I don't correctly have any cable service tech guy has to clime the pule to physically connect something).

P.S. I did call Comcast on other occasions to see how much install fee would cost and it ranged from $10 to $100. ($10, $20, $30, $50, $99)
I had Comcast High-Speed service in my home before. Everything is setup are ready to go. I'm don't think anyone has to come out but I'm not certain. I don't work for cable company so don't know how it really works, or if any of this is true. I've heard a lot of BS from cable companies before about fees and pricing.

Do I have to pay this fee?
I have my own cable modem and selected self-install during online sign-up.

Mod Note: See also ---> » New Comcast install

cableWA

@comcast.net
In the Seattle market the general policy is if you don't already have TV service from Comcast that the install fee is $20. If you have current TV service then you can do a self install kit (SIK) for $10.
Call and threaten (politely) to cancel the the service because Qwest or someone offers free install. See what happens.

Tordek
Make the outages go away
Premium
join:2009-09-07
Great White
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to idmitriy
Looks like you have a duplicate post. Given by the wording in your posts.

» New Comcast install

Evidently the spelling is exactly the same.

Please don't double post. It makes it harder for us to answer the questions of those on the board.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to idmitriy
Or just pay the $20, (very cheap if you figure CC's actual cost) Most places where no service is currently used, the coax was physically disconnected at the pole.
They have to pay for a trained (entry level) person, to drive a truck to your location (truck, gas, insurance, etc) a fiberglass ladder (insuramce on ladder climbing (not cheap/high risk of injury) plus something towards the small risk of damaging other's property should the ladder fall)
and so on.
It's only $20 because your home is already wired (they are assuming wiring is still in good condition, and will repair as needed)
The more expensive install prices assume all new wiring, wall plates, and insurance/risks envolved in that.

idmitriy1

@comcast.net
Thanks for the advice. Got it installed. Now need to test it. I have 4 Voip lines that I want to work reliably.

dubenezic

join:2004-05-06
Jersey City, NJ
reply to idmitriy
I think my fee was $75. Personally, I don't think they should be charging anything for an install. They should be happy just to have you as a customer.

Satellite does not charge. Not sure in Fios, if it's even available to you.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by dubenezic:

Satellite DOES charge, it's just not a line item/ upfront charge.
And FiOS now has a prohibitive EFT, should you be unhappy and try to leave early.

The thing is, the OP signed up for a self-install (intended ONLY for customers, CURRENTLY recieve another service)
and obviously he couldn't totally self install, but they only charged a small fee, for the partial tech job, rather than a full install fee.
It's better that they charge a given user a fee for tech service that ONLY benifits him, rather than charging everyone else for a portion of the millions of connects/disconnects each year (without any fee people signup for a few months/ a promo period, then disconnect for a while and sign up again. I don't wish to see my bill rise to pay for their gaming the system.

dubenezic

Jersey City, NJ
I never paid DirecTV for an install.

rob316

join:2005-10-17
Carteret, NJ
reply to idmitriy
I got an offer from Comcast for phone/intenet for 72 dollars a month, they installed the servcie and charged me 40 bucks for the install, I just called them and asked nicely if they could remove the install charge since it was suppose to be free they did and I saw the credit on the next month bill.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06

1 edit
reply to dubenezic
said by dubenezic:

I never paid DirecTV for an install.
Lucky you. There are lots of people out there who never paid for a Cable install either. Doesn't mean it's 100% accurate in either case.

That comment also helps this thread in way, shape, or form. So, thanks!

said by dubenezic:

I think my fee was $75. Personally, I don't think they should be charging anything for an install. They should be happy just to have you as a customer.

I take it you have never worked as an installer for anything. Tell me how it makes financial sense to charge nothing where we have to rewire an entire home (phone and cable) to complete an install. 3 service techs there for at least 5 hours. That costs comcast some serious money, not something they are going to make back quickly. And the customer could call in after 2 weeks and cancel the service and get all their money back.

Installs cost money and customers should be charged accordingly.
--
Tech at the Beach.
I speak for myself, not my employer.

chewch99

join:2008-04-20
united state
reply to dubenezic
said by dubenezic:

Yeah and satellite typically makes you sign a two year contract and you learn really quick how their free install policy doesn't apply to trouble calls should something go wrong. That's usually 100 bucks for a trouble call.

dubenezic

Jersey City, NJ
reply to beachintech
I have never been an installer. But if I need to have a wiring job like the one you described, and my choice is to pay for an install or not pay for one, which one do you think I would pick?

Satellite is better anyway, and directv uses 2 techs. Most people sign up for a 2 year contract anyway so they can get promo pricing, whether cable or Satellite.

dubenezic

Jersey City, NJ
reply to chewch99
Directv charged me $5-$6 a month to cover trouble calls and to cover the receivers, and I got new ones. No refurbished crap.

However at least for me, I was paying half of what Cablevision was charging me before I dumped them, and half of what I currently pay Comcast. And I get more channels. So even though I was paying the extra money for service, it was still a bargain. The sat receivers give the customer more ways to try to diagnose a problem before having to call. The software is much more advanced.

I never had a service call and personally I don't think many people do since they get the signal direct from the sky. No head end and miles of coax to deal with. But there are always exceptions.

Yes, you have to sign a contract. Mine was for a year. But as I said, most people sign anyway to get the promo pricing, so it's not like your jumping off of a cliff.

nerdburg
Premium
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA
kudos:1
reply to beachintech
I take it you have never worked as an installer for anything. Tell me how it makes financial sense to charge nothing where we have to rewire an entire home (phone and cable) to complete an install. 3 service techs there for at least 5 hours.....
Yeah and three moths later when they get disco'ed for non-pay, some satellite guy will bust open your security box and mangle all that beautiful new wiring.
--
[Insert Comcast employee disclaimer here.]

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to dubenezic
Because you had two techs you think they always send 2 techs. Because you got all new boxes you think they always use new boxes. Because you have didnt need a service call you think most people dont. You were just lucky, Congrats on being lucky because all of them things could happen on any service.

beachintech
Premium
reply to nerdburg
said by nerdburg:

Yeah and three moths later when they get disco'ed for non-pay, some satellite guy will bust open your security box and mangle all that beautiful new wiring.
Depressing when that happens :/ ....
--
Tech at the Beach.

furioustek

@comcast.net
My favorite is when satellite removes all the wire from a customers home when they do a uninstall. . . Or when the Satellite guy puts the satellite on the garage between the house and the aerial tap and zip ties all the satellite lines to the cable drop and you have to replace the drop and leave a mess of wires hanging over the garage. . . . Or when the satellite guy uses the only inline into the finished basement for satellite service 1 hour after you finished installing internet. . . .
Ahh the long days in Dearborn where everyone has Comcast for phone and internet and has satellite for Tv from the old country.

dubenezic

Jersey City, NJ
reply to rody_44
I said that was my experience. I can't speak of what happens with other people.

dubenezic

Jersey City, NJ
reply to beachintech
You must be referring to new construction, yes?

Also, they do make their money back.

»www.nytimes.com/2008/05/24/techn···ble.html

I'm not a fan of the NY Times, but I believe this to be true, looking at my bill every month.

"Cable prices have risen 77 percent since 1996, roughly double the rate of inflation, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported this month."

beachintech
Premium

1 edit
So because your bill goes up they must be making all the money they could ever need right? Think back to 1996. There are a ton more services/channels/etc offered now than then.

We loose money all the time on installs. Like wiring up entire MDU's to have them switch to dish a year later and saying thanks for all the brand new RG6 you put in (They had all 59 cable with copper shield - can only imagine the 10's of thousands lost).

No, I'm not referring to new construction. Installs should be charged for, and there is no argument that will convince me otherwise. Once you work in the field for ANY amount of time getting your hands dirty, you would understand. People expect all the work from the cable company to be free / extremely cheap because it has been for so many years and that's what cable co's have always done. It's time for that to end. People take advantage and it just doesn't make sense anymore. Work should be charged accordingly like any other company would.
--
Tech at the Beach.

furioustek

@comcast.net
reply to dubenezic
Cable TV and Internet and Telephone are luxuries not a necessities like electricity, natural gas, water and the like. If you do not want to pay what the company is charging then get your TV and Internet elsewhere. But thank you for choosing Comcast if you do want TV and internet.

As far as Telephone is concerned you can always transport yourself to whomever your telephoning to speak with them or send a snail mail letter if they are far away. If you are unlucky enough to need a phone for calling the ems for health or other reasons, then telephone is a necessity, but all major telephone providers offer extremely inexpensive "lifeline" or "911" only plans.

Comcast tells you up front how much things well cost when you initially contact them to request service. By signing the the completed work order, or the technicians PDA you are agreeing to the prices. ON the PDA for new installs it lists clearly the prices right where the customer can see them for any additional outlets, wall-fishes etc. etc. Or the sales rep well tell you over the phone/internet sales form what your requests costs.

Installs cost any service company a lot of money. The technician is being paid 30$ an hour or more with bebefits, the truck to get to yoour home needs fuel and regular service so say about 0.75$ per mile cost right there. Then there is all the install materials, and we get into the liability insurance, and injury insurance all service companies carry.

Comcast used to eat all those costs. Now they are not. The electric and gas company never ate those costs they charged you and arm and a leg to reconnect/connect a home right up front. ATT charges you 55$ an hour the minute a service man sets foot inside your door. If you do not want to pay the price for one of three luxury services comcast offers then take your money elsewhere. If you decide to pay for service then Comcast well do it's best to earn your business.
It is your money spend it how you wish.