uniqs
share rss forum feed

Diaboyos

join:2007-08-21
united state
Reviews:
·Comcast

State Farm Auto Insurance

I got some hail damage last week in a big storm that passed through so a few days ago I went up to State Farm and filed a claim for it. They told me that corporate would be calling to schedule for an adjuster to come out and take a look. OK.

The woman I spoke with at the local office said they would give me a check, made out to me, minus my deductible that I could take to the auto place of my choice to get it fixed. I informed her I would be out of town for close to a month and asked how long the check was good for. She said she wasn't sure but prolly the typical 90 days. OK.

Today corporate called and said they don't give the customer the checks, they give you an estimate that you take to a paint shop and they pay the shop directly. I asked how long the estimate was good for and they said I have two weeks to get it to a shop. Problem.

I'm not gonna be in town before the two weeks elapses. So I called my agent back and asked her if I could cancel the claim and do it later. No. Plus if I didn't get the car fixed I could never make another small claim like this because they would now know that I have unrepaired damage to the car that I previously filed a claim for, whether or not I actually received any money for the claim. What?!?

Like ten years ago I know they gave the customer the check made out to them but now I don't know. So my question since I'm getting conflicting answers from State Farm. Do they make the check out to the customer for auto hail damage and you take it to the shop of your choice? Or do they look at the damage and give you an estimate to take to the body shop and pay them directly?

Gbcue
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:8

Why don't you conference call your agent and corporate?

Or go to your agents office and have her call corporate with you there?
--
My Blog 2.0

Diaboyos

join:2007-08-21
united state

2 edits

It's too late the guy's coming tomorrow and they're closed now. Was hoping someone here has had to do this recently and knew the answer.

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL
kudos:1

We have SF as well and last accident we took our car to a approved shop. And they billed SF and we just paid the deductible to the shop.

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to Diaboyos

I would think they would be able to change the two week deadline to get it fixed. Now the question is has a state farm representative actually seen the damage and documented it. Once documented a week or a month is no real difference. However, has it been documented with them such as they took photos etc.? that way they know know the damage has not changed from the initial report.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
join:2009-09-11

1 recommendation

reply to Diaboyos

Just kick and relax until the adjuster comes.
My kid was in an accident and my insurance office people told me one thing and the adjuster said something else.
The adjuster is the one that writes the check so he/she knows more then the other people do.

psafux
Premium,VIP
join:2005-11-10
kudos:2
reply to Diaboyos

We have State Farm.

There have been some things that our local agent has actually cut us a check for (in our names). There have been things that the corporate office has cut us (personally) a check for and there have been things corporate has cut them (repair place) a check for.

Does that help? :P

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
reply to Diaboyos

I can only say that the two week time thing is just total BS. I also have no idea how to twist this info to understand how it could have been miscommunicated. Do you have a lien holder? If not, the check is made payable to you, period. If you have a lien holder then the check is made payable to you and either the lien holder or the shop you want to take it to. It's a 1st party claim and SF is obligated to protect the lien holders interest. As far as how long you have to repair the vehicle and/or cash the check... there is no time limit, period. SF can never keep the funds. If you don't cash the check the least that they have to do is turn over the funds to the state with your information. What they will do instead is send you a few letters and ask for you to call them for a replacement check if the one you have expired. Some checks expire in 60/90/120 days... some won't expire for 6 months (some are 6 months so the carrier does not need to hassle with so many replacement checks).

The only problem is if you don't have it repaired and the vehicle suffers some type of additional damage. It's extremely unlikely that this is going to happen. If it did, they would just need to deduct the unrepaired damage from the new claim (not easy in most cases... but it can be done).

Part of your mistake was asking your agents office for claims information. Not to be insulting but agents tend not to know _squat_ about claims. I handle claims and would not know how to issue a new policy to a person. But I don't pretend to know either.

So, you are issued the payment (as long as you don't take it to a SF "preferred" shop) and you don't have a time limit on getting it repaired. If there is additional damages that the appraiser did not write up, SF will issue a supplemental payment (as long as it's related to this hail damage loss).

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
reply to Gbcue

said by Gbcue:

Why don't you conference call your agent and corporate?

Or go to your agents office and have her call corporate with you there?
Better to just leave the agent out of it completely. they have little knowledge about claims and don't really have any input on them either.

Terryala
Premium
join:2003-08-25
Huntsville, AL
reply to Diaboyos

HI

Had same problem a few months back in the Huntsville Al area as we got hit hard..

With State Farm: called my agent and adjuster came out and looked at cars. One had hail damage he gave me a check minus deductable and told me to take to what ever repair shop I wanted to. End of story no problems...

Also had to have a new roof put on house again no problems with State Farm.

Best

Grand Dad