spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

slgarwood

join:2005-09-06
Asheville, NC

How do I get Charter to finish burying a cable?

The topic line says it all. About a year or so ago, Charter put in a new cable to my house. They left the last 60 feet or so to the curb unburied. Its already been cut once by lawn guy and Charter came out and patched it. They also left the box on the side of the house in bad shape ... its held closed (actually part open) by a cable tie. I've called it in three times. Nothing happens. Any help on how to get them to finish their job?

MOTO6809

join:2007-11-05
Springfield, MA
said by slgarwood:

The topic line says it all. About a year or so ago, Charter put in a new cable to my house. They left the last 60 feet or so to the curb unburied. Its already been cut once by lawn guy and Charter came out and patched it. They also left the box on the side of the house in bad shape ... its held closed (actually part open) by a cable tie. I've called it in three times. Nothing happens. Any help on how to get them to finish their job?
I would get a hold of the supervisor and explain the situation. It shouldn't take 1 year, even if they are backed up with underground repairs.

Not to mention the tech that came out to fix it after it was cut should have turned in the job so his supervisor.

AMDUSER
Premium
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Time Warner Cable
reply to slgarwood
I would post in here: »/forum/charterdirect
Let them know the cable sat unburied for over a year.. they can get someone on it.

It is not surprising it sat for a year though.. I would have Charter replace the cable and bury it on the same day. The reason to have them replace it is due to the cable being patched already, once it would get buried, it is likely to get water in it where it was cut.

markopoleo

join:2003-04-02
Bonne Terre, MO
reply to slgarwood
Charter does not bury cables, they just maintain them.

Here is what happens, the sub out the work to some company, that company is back logged for months, sometimes YEARS.

The problem here is that said company they use, has a wide area they work, i'm talking state to state going around bury cables. Nevermind the fact charter always changes companies so records are lost.

We had cables laying on top of ground for about 2-3 years, before someone showed up one day to bury them. The guy showed me about a stack of work orders 5 inches thick. lol

psafux
Premium,VIP
join:2005-11-10
kudos:2
reply to slgarwood
also add the fact if you live in a region that has frozen ground, they won't do the bury drops until the ground is thawed, sometimes no sooner than late april, early may.

Shad0wlore
Premium
join:2004-06-15
USA
Reviews:
·AT&T (Business S..
·Charter
reply to slgarwood
You may actually want to look into local ordinances regarding this. Several years, and a couple cities ago. My neighbor and I decided to merge our networks together (we were both FPS junkies at the time) and we did so by simply laying an insulated Cat5 cable across the ground...

Needless to say, that's when I found that some cities have laws against unburied cables. The law itself stated the cable had to be buried within 90 days of being ran (pending ground conditions [frozen]) or hung... we both wound up paying a $100 fine, and then moved the cable to our roof, which was perfectly acceptable.

Also, the whole workorder thing... don't buy into it. If they truly have that many workorders piled up, I'll almost guarantee you, they're not fulfilling their contractual obligations.

Most likely, what's happened is the new cable was ran in the middle of winter, and marked for burial in the spring. During that time either a.) the subcontractor was changed or b.) the sub is bad at tracking open tickets.
(Experience: 3 years doing sub-work for TCI Cable)

slgarwood

Asheville, NC
Nope .. cable was buried last spring (April-May). Just another case of cable TV people not caring or following up. The contractor works for Charter --- and represents Charter to the public. If Charter cared at all they would follow up and insure the job was done right (if nothing else they could get rebates from contractor if it was bad work).

slgarwood

Asheville, NC
And I forgot to mention the two large holes in the ground next to the curb box --- contractor dug em, never filled em.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to slgarwood
N.E.C. says a temporary service can only be in place for 90 days. Most of the USA uses the N.E.C.
CATV is subjugated to the N.E.C. on private property.

Many cities have more stringent requirements than 90 days.

First, try posting here in the Charter direct forum. They are good.
If that doesn't work out, you can try the public utility commission. Otherwise a letter to the legal department stating your concerns because "several people have tripped over this cable" may help as well.
--
Looks like Reverend Wright got his wish - God Damn America.
Nancy Pelosi - House Minority Leader 2010
Harry Reid - Senate Minority Leader 2010

markopoleo

join:2003-04-02
Bonne Terre, MO
reply to slgarwood
Most of the "rules" are not really enforced. Like using harnesses when putting on siding on a house per OSHA is a good example. OSHA like many places like to put lots of rules just so its covered if they ever decide to enforce it.

Unless someone complains enough you don't really get a response.

slgarwood

Asheville, NC
reply to slgarwood
I entered the problem on Charter Direct and it was fixed quickly and professionally - if you have issues with Charter go post there.