Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

That coverage map--- They counting Wirelesss too?

I see that they show Osage county--- a huge, rural county here in NE Oklahoma as having 96-100% availability of broadband.

I know personally that's BS. I also know people in said county that are getting xDSL at speed of 300k/down 300k up. Beats dialup by a wide margin but is hardly "broadband".

In fact as I look around the Tulsa area and think of personal experiences with people and co-workers It appears I must know exceptionally unlucky people who all are part of the "other" 4%.

I call horsepucky on this map. It's flat out wrong.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

Jim Kirk
Premium
join:2005-12-09

I wonder if it's still based on the "if one person in a zipcode has broadband, then everyone has access to broadband" crap?

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

I have no idea how they determine it.... but it's no where near accurate. Some of these counties are very large. I know Windstream has deployed DSL into rural areas in many of them, with extreme line lengths and very slow DSL (due to distance) there's still most of the county without DSL. It's a cost of choosing to live in the boonies..... Yet then this map shows the whole county as dark blue and the key says "96-100% of homes have access to broadband. Ha, RIGHT. No way! They better not be counting satellite or something into the map. There's counties here that have spotty cell coverage and it's still listed as 96% penetration for broadband. It's not adding up.

I'd like to see someone explain where they get this from.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini