share rss forum feed

Madtown
Premium
join:2008-04-26
Madera, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

4mbps/1mbps

So I wonder how long will it take the DSL providers such as AT&T to provide this speed to their customers? I understand it won't be the very second that 4/1 is the new definition to broadband, so is it going to take 3 months, 6 month, how long would it take to serve that speed?

WhatNow
Premium
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
change you months to years and you might be close. The rural areas will get it as wireless before they get it on fiber. N C is the 11th most populated state but except for the populated area along I-85 it is made up of small towns and small farms. The houses are spaced too far apart to reuse the copper and would cost at least $5K per house for fiber. A lot of the homes are trailers and they can barely pay the phone bill after the Sat TV bill. Many of the homes are older on SS and DSL if they can get it serves their need for just e-mail. A company will spend a lot of money and only get 20% at most.
I am not saying it is not needed but the money is not there. You guys are already griping don't make me pay for it. I want my bill to go down.

Madtown
Premium
join:2008-04-26
Madera, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
I live in Madera, Ca, in a residential type neighborhood. Lots of houses and we have 2 apartments, (I think they're own by the same apartment managers from what I've heard) so it's not like we're rural out here. We even have a bowling alley in walking distance (unless you consider a few blocks away as too far to walk)

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to Madtown
Nowish.

Seriously, DSL providers only have to upgrade line cards if they're on old ADSL to ADSL2+ to get that kind of speed (upload mainly). I'd say that the VAST majority of DSLAMs in the US are already ADSL2+ capable so all they have to do is push a config file out. ADSL2+ can do up to 1.4 Mbps on uploads, and 1162 kbps is enough, factoring in ATM overhead etc., to do 1 Mbps just fine. The DSL providers have just been lazy up until now with regard to upload speeds, as decent uploads might require some line grooming (but then again might not) in order to make things work.