spc
Search similar:

uniqs

famu720
join:2008-03-24
Greenville, SC

famu720

Broadband Plan

The minimum definition for broadband should be one gigabit or higher at a bare minimum.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

1 recommendation

iansltx

Can your computer support gigabit speeds?

Realistically, somewhere between 20 and 35 Mbps, symmetric, is plenty for today's uses. 100 Mbps is gravy right now, but still very cool. It's also a realistic objective for a few years from now. I'd aim for that.

Don't get me wrong; gigabit is good and all. However I defy you to find a computer that will suck crap down at a gigabit or a consumer-grade router that will route it. No, pfSense doesn't freaking count. Yes, I would buy the necessary equipment to take advantage of a gigabit connection if one was offered at a low, low price to my home. However I know for a fact that 99.999% of people won't be doing that for another five to ten years. According to my calculations, assuming that network bandwidth (and the desire for it) increases 50% year over year, we'll need ~7.5x as much bandwidth in five years and ~57x as much in ten. Nowhere near a gig when you look at the current national average (10 Mbps or less).
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

1 recommendation

sonicmerlin

said by iansltx:

Can your computer support gigabit speeds?

Realistically, somewhere between 20 and 35 Mbps, symmetric, is plenty for today's uses. 100 Mbps is gravy right now, but still very cool. It's also a realistic objective for a few years from now. I'd aim for that.

Don't get me wrong; gigabit is good and all. However I defy you to find a computer that will suck crap down at a gigabit or a consumer-grade router that will route it. No, pfSense doesn't freaking count. Yes, I would buy the necessary equipment to take advantage of a gigabit connection if one was offered at a low, low price to my home. However I know for a fact that 99.999% of people won't be doing that for another five to ten years. According to my calculations, assuming that network bandwidth (and the desire for it) increases 50% year over year, we'll need ~7.5x as much bandwidth in five years and ~57x as much in ten. Nowhere near a gig when you look at the current national average (10 Mbps or less).
Considering it will take at least 10 years for this plan to be completed, I do believe a gigabit is the sweet spot for preparing for the future.

And a gigabit is 125MB/sec. You do know SATA is capable of a gig or more right?
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

I'm fully aware that the SATA spec allows for more than 125 MB/s, however you need an SSD to reach those speeds. The average computer can'd do more than about 60 MB/s over a network.

Also, if we're talking about ten years then we're talking about pie in the sky. The administration will change twice before then...

Eagles1221
join:2009-04-29
Vincentown, NJ

Eagles1221

60MB over Gbit network is my dream. My Gbit LAN here tops at 30-40 do to Windows 2003 crummy CIFS