beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

1 edit

beachintech to dubenezic

Premium Member

to dubenezic

Re: New Comcast install. Pay Install fee?

said by dubenezic:

I never paid DirecTV for an install.
Lucky you. There are lots of people out there who never paid for a Cable install either. Doesn't mean it's 100% accurate in either case.

That comment also helps this thread in way, shape, or form. So, thanks!
said by dubenezic:

I think my fee was $75. Personally, I don't think they should be charging anything for an install. They should be happy just to have you as a customer.

Satellite does not charge. Not sure in Fios, if it's even available to you.
I take it you have never worked as an installer for anything. Tell me how it makes financial sense to charge nothing where we have to rewire an entire home (phone and cable) to complete an install. 3 service techs there for at least 5 hours. That costs comcast some serious money, not something they are going to make back quickly. And the customer could call in after 2 weeks and cancel the service and get all their money back.

Installs cost money and customers should be charged accordingly.
dubenezic
join:2004-05-06
Elizabeth, NJ

dubenezic

I have never been an installer. But if I need to have a wiring job like the one you described, and my choice is to pay for an install or not pay for one, which one do you think I would pick?

Satellite is better anyway, and directv uses 2 techs. Most people sign up for a 2 year contract anyway so they can get promo pricing, whether cable or Satellite.

nerdburg
Premium Member
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA

nerdburg to beachintech

Premium Member

to beachintech
I take it you have never worked as an installer for anything. Tell me how it makes financial sense to charge nothing where we have to rewire an entire home (phone and cable) to complete an install. 3 service techs there for at least 5 hours.....
Yeah and three moths later when they get disco'ed for non-pay, some satellite guy will bust open your security box and mangle all that beautiful new wiring.

beachintech
Premium Member

beachintech

Premium Member

said by nerdburg:

Yeah and three moths later when they get disco'ed for non-pay, some satellite guy will bust open your security box and mangle all that beautiful new wiring.
Depressing when that happens :/ ....

furioustek
@comcast.net

furioustek

Anon

My favorite is when satellite removes all the wire from a customers home when they do a uninstall. . . Or when the Satellite guy puts the satellite on the garage between the house and the aerial tap and zip ties all the satellite lines to the cable drop and you have to replace the drop and leave a mess of wires hanging over the garage. . . . Or when the satellite guy uses the only inline into the finished basement for satellite service 1 hour after you finished installing internet. . . .
Ahh the long days in Dearborn where everyone has Comcast for phone and internet and has satellite for Tv from the old country.
dubenezic
join:2004-05-06
Elizabeth, NJ

dubenezic to beachintech

to beachintech
You must be referring to new construction, yes?

Also, they do make their money back.

»www.nytimes.com/2008/05/ ··· ble.html

I'm not a fan of the NY Times, but I believe this to be true, looking at my bill every month.

"Cable prices have risen 77 percent since 1996, roughly double the rate of inflation, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported this month."

beachintech
Premium Member

1 edit

beachintech

Premium Member

So because your bill goes up they must be making all the money they could ever need right? Think back to 1996. There are a ton more services/channels/etc offered now than then.

We loose money all the time on installs. Like wiring up entire MDU's to have them switch to dish a year later and saying thanks for all the brand new RG6 you put in (They had all 59 cable with copper shield - can only imagine the 10's of thousands lost).

No, I'm not referring to new construction. Installs should be charged for, and there is no argument that will convince me otherwise. Once you work in the field for ANY amount of time getting your hands dirty, you would understand. People expect all the work from the cable company to be free / extremely cheap because it has been for so many years and that's what cable co's have always done. It's time for that to end. People take advantage and it just doesn't make sense anymore. Work should be charged accordingly like any other company would.

furioustek
@comcast.net

furioustek to dubenezic

Anon

to dubenezic
Cable TV and Internet and Telephone are luxuries not a necessities like electricity, natural gas, water and the like. If you do not want to pay what the company is charging then get your TV and Internet elsewhere. But thank you for choosing Comcast if you do want TV and internet.

As far as Telephone is concerned you can always transport yourself to whomever your telephoning to speak with them or send a snail mail letter if they are far away. If you are unlucky enough to need a phone for calling the ems for health or other reasons, then telephone is a necessity, but all major telephone providers offer extremely inexpensive "lifeline" or "911" only plans.

Comcast tells you up front how much things well cost when you initially contact them to request service. By signing the the completed work order, or the technicians PDA you are agreeing to the prices. ON the PDA for new installs it lists clearly the prices right where the customer can see them for any additional outlets, wall-fishes etc. etc. Or the sales rep well tell you over the phone/internet sales form what your requests costs.

Installs cost any service company a lot of money. The technician is being paid 30$ an hour or more with bebefits, the truck to get to yoour home needs fuel and regular service so say about 0.75$ per mile cost right there. Then there is all the install materials, and we get into the liability insurance, and injury insurance all service companies carry.

Comcast used to eat all those costs. Now they are not. The electric and gas company never ate those costs they charged you and arm and a leg to reconnect/connect a home right up front. ATT charges you 55$ an hour the minute a service man sets foot inside your door. If you do not want to pay the price for one of three luxury services comcast offers then take your money elsewhere. If you decide to pay for service then Comcast well do it's best to earn your business.
It is your money spend it how you wish.