MVM
join:2001-06-15
Mchenry, IL

1 edit

3 recommendations

gdm

MVM

IP-DSLAM FAQ

Q. What is U-Verse High Speed Internet aka IP-DSLAM HSI?
A. U-Verse HSI is an IP-based DSL product using ADSL2/2+ technology.

Q. What the difference between a normal DSLAM and an IP-DSLAM?
A. IP-DSLAM stands for Internet Protocol Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer. IP-DSLAM’s deal with mostly IP based traffic rather than converting between the older ATM (Asynchronous Transfer Mode) and IP.

Q. What equipment is used?
A. There are currently two different provided equipment to choose from: 1. AT&T Gateway (2Wire 2701HGV-B) 2. Modem ((Motorola 2210-02-1ATT)

Q. Must I purchase the equipment or does AT&T own the Gateway/Modem and I am leasing/renting?
A. With U-Verse HSI you are purchasing the equipment. It is yours, this is unlike traditional U-Verse RGs which remain the property of AT&T.

Q. Am I charged the "High Speed Internet Equipment Fee", like customers who have stand-alone traditional U-Verse [VDSL] High Speed Internet Service?
A. No, for IP-DSLAM customer, you own the equipment; there is no monthly fee.

Q. Will a technician be sent to install the service or can I install the equipment myself?
A. You can choose to have a Professional Tech Installation, there is a charge of $149. If you choose this option keep in mind this is in addition to the cost of the equipment. You can choose to have the equipment sent to your home for a self installation. There are no additional charges for this; you will just pay for the equipment

Q. Is there a warranty of the equipment I purchase?
A. Yes, your equipment either as a self-install or a professional install includes a one [1] year warranty. This warranty covers the Gateway/Modem, in-line filters, and associated connecting cords.

Q. Is there a difference from traditional ADSL service?
A. This new platform is IP-based and is being used used in areas primarily where U-Verse has been deployed. This is not to be confused with U-Verse Internet that is offered with U-Verse TV; U-Verse Internet + U-Verse TV is VDSL service and the signal is from a local VRAD.

Q. How do I know whether I am ordering U-Verse HSI or regular U-Verse service [Internet, TV, VoIP]?
A. If you are placing an order online you will be directed to »uverse.att.com and when you put you address you will only be able to order Internet Service; The TV and Voice services will show not available. If you are speaking with an agent on the phone, the sales agent will identify your are qualified for U-Verse Internet only; if you want to double check you can ask the agent if the validation system says "IP-DSLAM ACCOUNT" or if the system identifies the address as "IP-CO".

Q. I do not want U-Verse Internet, I want traditional DSL, how can I do this?
A. At this time, in areas where U-Verse has been deployed, the traditional ADSL equipment is being retired. U-Verse HSI over ADSL2/2+ is meant to replace the traditional ADSL offerings; the services are wholly similar with the exception of how the service is provisioned. U-Verse HSI using ADSL2/2+ is very different from traditional U-Verse Internet; traditional U-Verse Internet uses VDSL and has more stringent distance limitations.

Q. Is this service from the Central Office [CO], a Remote Terminal [RT], a Video Ready Access Device [VRAD]?
A. U-Verse HSI is currently CO based. If your address qualified for TV, Voice, and internet you are out of a VRAD; thus, you would be a traditional U-Verse customer over VDSL and not an IPDSLAM customer over ADSL2/2+.

Q. Are there distance limitations?
A. Yes, ADSL2/2+ does have distance limits; they are similar to those of traditional ADSL setups. IP-DSLAM customers are not restricted to the limits of traditional U-Verse [VDSL] requirements.

Q. What speeds are available?
A. The same speeds offered under traditional ADSL are available; the speed you qualify for is based upon your distance. The available speeds are: [Down/Up] 768/384, 1536/384, 3008/512, & 6016/768. These speeds differ from traditional U-Verse [VDSL] services that offer higher download speed tiers and minimum of 1Mbps upstream speeds.

Q. Can I combine my U-Verse HSI bills with AT&T Telephone service?
A. No, at this time only AT&T wireless services can be combined with U-Verse HSI. If you have an AT&T landline you will receive 2 separate bills.

Courtesy of Alex, bluepoint951 See Profile
Expand your moderator at work

WTHATT
@sbcglobal.net

WTHATT to gdm

Anon

to gdm

Re: IP-DSLAM FAQ

Explain this to me please:

If this service is from the CO then how is it going to effect all the customers that are on an RT and particularly those that could not get DSL prior to the RT, they basicly throwing them out the door?
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC

cramer

Premium Member

Simple... they will continue to be served by existing (legacy) DSLAMs. (until they get around to upgrading those too.)

Pandabear446
@comcast.net

Pandabear446 to gdm

Anon

to gdm
Also I'm wondering: AT&T in my area (94118) decline my initial order of DSL Direct at 3.0Mbps and a call to the sales converted my order to U-Verse at the same price / speed and a free modem.

However I saw on a 3rd party DSL provider's order site, that they have ADSL (not ADSL2+ which is U-Verse) available. Does that means: 1) if I order the 3rd party ADSL it would be canceled just like via AT&T? or 2) The order would go through, but AT&T would rather retire the older equipment and lines so that people can convert to newer equipment like IP-DSLAM / ADSL2/2+?

Magicmat
@pacbell.net

Magicmat to gdm

Anon

to gdm
Quick question: Can we use another ADSL2+ modem (specifically a netgear DGN1000) with the u-verse HSI service, or are we stuck with the Motorola 2210-02-1ATT modem?
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC

cramer

Premium Member

No. UVerse HSI is not ATM based like traditional ADSL systems. (thus the -1ATT model number.)
broadbandg
join:2010-10-16
San Francisco, CA

2 edits

broadbandg to gdm

to gdm
Hi,

When i ordered broadband through ATT, I was told there's no DSL available in my area, and that I had to get Uverse. I ordered. Just day, a service rep says that I've been upgraded to fiber optic per their system. I told them the wire that goes to my house is still the old copperwire. Question is, if one is upgraded to fiber optic (I assume this is IP-DSLAM), does the fiber optic come into the house or is the upgrade in the backend where the fiber runs from the central office to the pole, then a copper wire goes from pole to my house? I looked at my telephone box 5 minutes ago and it's the same old rectangular black wire that has paint over it from at least 5 years back. There's a 90 degree bent from the top, and there's almost a 180 bend on the bottom so I highly doubt it's fiber optic as that spec doesn't allow much "bending" or else light will be lost.

Thank you
willzzz
join:2007-05-23
NY

1 edit

willzzz to gdm

to gdm
broadbandg, it's on the back-end and what you said is correct. Fiber optic allows them to shorten the loop length. They installed a remote DSLAM in the field to offer you Uverse service. You can have Uverse internet only service up to 24M/3M of your choice at att.com or traditional ADSL2+.
Basically it's this:
CO->Fiber->VRAD(DSLAM)->Copper->Your House.

What you have is FTTN. You won't get FTTH/C like FiOS unless you are in a new-build

You will be getting service to the remote DSLAM in the field. That remote DSLAM is connected to the CO over fiber aggregating all the connections in the neighborhood.
willzzz

willzzz to gdm

to gdm
BTW gdm, what's the distance limits for ADSL2+? I am little over 19k from the CO but 6682ft. from the VRAD. If they put IP-DSLAM into the VRAD I could get DSL service. 6682ft. is too long for Uverse VDSL2.
WhatNow
Premium Member
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC

WhatNow

Premium Member

The difference between IPDSLAM and Vrad is the cards. The Vrads have Video adsl and the IPDSLAM has just adsl cards that provides a longer distance at lower speeds for just internet and maybe VoIP.

raypsi1
join:2001-04-09
Wayne, MI

raypsi1 to gdm

to gdm
I called the local ATT to upgrade my internet speed, they told me 3 Mbps was all I could get, I said transfer me to U- verse order desk. On U Verse I was looking for the TV deal.

Here in the midwest I could get up to 24Mbps internet I am staying at 3Mbps and will upgrade if that is my option some time in the future.

Another thing is I have to rent the Modem at $3/month. They were nice enough to waive the install charge. I figured I saved about $60, because they slapped me with other charges. The U=Verse 130 channel package and 3Mbps internet and modem first month charge will be $132.31 I was told install date is 11/11 I ordered 10/18.

That's my story and I'ma sticking to it.
ivwshane2
join:2003-05-11
Dixon, CA

ivwshane2 to gdm

to gdm
I ordered uverse Internet only service and was told that my dsl modem would work (2701hg-b) but I've called back a couple of times and I get a different answer everytime:|

Can someone tell me the correct answer? If I can use my existing modem what's the setup process?
ivwshane
join:2010-11-09

ivwshane

I shall answer my own question.

The modems are indeed different. The one they ended up giving me was a 2701HGV-B. It's the same size as the 2wire dsl modem but it's silver and black and has an extra port for a phone line.
DBman190
join:2002-06-10

DBman190 to gdm

to gdm
What are the IPDSLAM tiers provisioned at? Is Elite, for instance, provisioned at exactly 6016/768, or is there supposed to be headroom (i.e. 6400ish) to account for overhead and inevitable losses?

ArgMeMatey
join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey

said by cramer:

they will continue to be served by existing (legacy) DSLAMs. (until they get around to upgrading those too.)

What exactly is the long-term plan for the CO DSLAMs? Are they going to retire the old DSLAMs on a schedule or just let them run until they die?

And at that point will they swing us over to the VDSL VRADs or expand ADSL2+ to overlay with VDSL instead of just offering one or the other?
willzzz
join:2007-05-23
NY

willzzz to gdm

to gdm
Is AT&T ever going to release the RADIUS GAS authentication details publicly including the certs so I can use a 3rd party ADSL2+ modem with your IP-DSLAM product (and authentication with your upstream 7330 DSLAM/7450 ESS (Ethernet Service Switch)) in the CO? I'm reading ALU docs BTW.
pm_
join:2009-10-11
Aurora, IL

pm_ to gdm

to gdm
Could you please update this FAQ to state that IP-DSLAM can actually be provisioned as Fast Path? That's important information for users to have.

My source is ILpt4U here:
»Re: [Speed Problem] Download Slow Between 4:00pm to 1:00am

And no one has stated anything to the contrary.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO

ILpt4U

Premium Member

IPDSLSM U-Verse can be provisioned Fast Path or Interleaved.

Mine is Fast Path
stunod2002
join:2003-11-07
Carol Stream, IL

stunod2002

Q. What equipment is used?
A. There are currently two different provided equipment to choose from: 1. AT&T Gateway (2Wire 2701HGV-B) 2. Modem ((Motorola 2210-02-1ATT)

You forgot the Westell A90-610025
PowerMac
join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA

PowerMac

That Westell A90-610025 modem is used for Verizon dsl. Does this model will work fine with AT&T?
stunod2002
join:2003-11-07
Carol Stream, IL

stunod2002

said by PowerMac:

That Westell A90-610025 modem is used for Verizon dsl. Does this model will work fine with AT&T?

Sorry, mis-typed... It's an F90-610025

Nana
@swbell.net

Nana

Anon

Are you sure this modem will work with this system? This is not typical adsl and as far as I can find this modem does not support IP-DSLAM.

rstrick
Premium Member
join:2003-06-02
Springfield, MO

rstrick to stunod2002

Premium Member

to stunod2002
I don't think the Westell will work on IP-DSLAM. It's just another ADSL/ADSL2 modem as far as I can tell.

robertshr
@qwest.net

robertshr to Nana

Anon

to Nana
Currently the only Modem ((Motorola 2210-02-1ATT) is available fore the ATT IPDSLAM the gateway is for customers that are abel to get the whole u-verse package and only want the IPDSLAM Internet.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO

ILpt4U

Premium Member

The FAQ needs an update: Max (12 down/1 up) and Max Plus (18 down/1 up) speeds are now available over IPDSLAM ADSL2+ U-Verse, as long as the customer lives close enough to the CO

Max 18 does require a tech install, though
takahirata9
join:2006-12-06
Duluth, MN

takahirata9

can you tell me why a tech install is required for max. 18?
TKBlack
join:2011-04-07
San Jose, CA

TKBlack to ILpt4U

to ILpt4U
How to find out how the IPDSLSM is provisioned ?
Madtown
Premium Member
join:2008-04-26
93637-2905

Madtown to gdm

Premium Member

to gdm
For those on IP-DSLAM would this work, »www.amazon.com/gp/produc ··· i=507846 or be a waste of money to buy?