rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX

rolande to brg

MVM,

to brg
All of the still current and applicable content is being moved into the Forum FAQ. There is no point in maintaining a separate FAQ thread.

brg
Premium Member
join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL

brg to gdm

Premium Member

to gdm
I was just about to ask "why isn't this sticky-ed" and then I read the post above.

It should be a sticky, and it was. Any reason for the change?
System

to gdm

Anon

to gdm
This topic has been un-stickied by rolande See Profile

msteel
@bellsouth.net

msteel to StillLearn

Anon

to StillLearn

Re: IP-DSLAM FAQ

This FAQ seems indicate that if a location qualifies for U-verse TV, then service will be VDSL. Is this still true when ordering an internet-only (or internet + VOIP) package?

The reason I ask is that I am looking into whether to move from my legacy DSL and did an online chat with a sales rep. My location qualifies for U-verse TV, so that would indicate that service here is VDSL. But for internet only the rep said I would purchase an IP IG51X instead of renting a gateway. If I understand correctly, the IP IG51X is a Motorola NVG510, and thus service would be ADSL2+.

If it matters my current service is ADSL2 with a line speed of 8124kbps, but it is throttled back to a throughput of 768kbps. It was the secret deal you could get from Bellsouth for $10/month at the time the AT&T merger was going through. Alas, it no longer costs that little, and no longer seems as fast as it did back then.

StillLearn
Premium Member
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL

StillLearn to gdm

Premium Member

to gdm
I was not allowed to reply to ILpt4U, since his post was over 90 days old, but I worked around it. His post was useful for me to know that I don't have IP-DSLAM service. I had read through a lot of info on this sticky thread before I was sure that this did not apply to me. Since his modem list was relatively fresh, I knew that neither the 3800 or 3801 was on the list, I was able to figure out that I had VRAD DSL service.

Maybe an edit to the first post on the thread could add a preamble to let people know how to figure out if IP-DSLAM applied to them
said by ILpt4U:

The only 3 modems that work with IPDSLAM ADSL2+ are:
2Wire/Pace 2701 hgv-b (supports speeds up to 6 mbps elite plan; supports static & dynamic IP; black & gray in color)
Motorola 2210 (supports all speed plans; only supports dynamic IP; black in color)
Motorola NVG510 (supports all spped plans; supports static & dynamic IP; black in color)

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984 to gdm

Premium Member

to gdm
Do not buy the NVG510 from ATT for $100 if you want to use your own router, return if they send it to you and get your money back.
Buy a 2210-02-1 used on ebay for around $25 with shipping or less.
See - »SemiFIXED - NVG510 - Doesn't Work Anymore - Fix or Replace?

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U to n1cotine

Premium Member

to n1cotine
The only 3 modems that work with IPDSLAM ADSL2+ are:
2Wire/Pace 2701 hgv-b (supports speeds up to 6 mbps elite plan; supports static & dynamic IP; black & gray in color)
Motorola 2210 (supports all speed plans; only supports dynamic IP; black in color)
Motorola NVG510 (supports all spped plans; supports static & dynamic IP; black in color)

So long story short, no your Cisco 877 will not work with AT&T IPDSLAM U-Verse Internet

n1cotine
@fastservers.net

n1cotine to gdm

Anon

to gdm
Does anyone know if they've changed the policy about supported modems/CPEs? I've been using a Cisco 877 for my old ADSL service, and just ordered the IP-DSLAM product. My router supports ADSL2, so I'd like to utilize it if possible.
wcryan
join:2012-03-25
Escondido, CA

wcryan

We'll now........ all in all they say I am too far away for anything. I know I am too far away for Uverse; but doesnt 5700FT sound suitable for IP DSLAM? I dont get it
wcryan

wcryan to gdm

to gdm
So they put a Vrad about 1.1 miles down the street from me (which they said is fully functional and on). I had them come out and they were about to put a new drop line into my house, but then they got smart and tested the line before and found out I am too far to get Uverse.

The tech and the line guy said "good thing we checked first, it's time to go to plan B"

They said I would be able to get IP DSLAM which they said goes from the regular telephone box(which is next to the Vrad), through the Vrad, then to my house.

My question is. Being a little over a mile, which seems to be shorter than most people that get IP DSLAM from the reviews I have read; will my speeds still be pretty fast? The tech told me that he's seen people get 12MB at my distance. Is he correct? or is he just sugarcoating it?;
Madtown
Premium Member
join:2008-04-26
93637-2905

Madtown to gdm

Premium Member

to gdm
I only qualify for Express on U-verse internet, which is strange as I have Pro for ADSL, (I think the slots are full and that is why) and there is a VRAD connected to the cross box that serves me DSL, but it's not turn on yet. Is it possible that they're not going to turn on the VRAD even after spending money putting it in?
IP Commander
join:2012-02-25
Oakland, CA

IP Commander to gdm

to gdm
So IPDSLAM is NOT the same as Uverse right?
Because I can't profile above 3m on my "Uverse" which is really IPDSLAM.
tesh82
join:2009-12-25
Palmdale, CA

1 edit

tesh82 to gdm

to gdm
Edit: Moved this to a new topic.
tbns
join:2011-12-27

1 edit

tbns to gdm

to gdm
Delete.

MyTechLife
Tech Guru
join:2001-01-17
Reno, NV

MyTechLife to gdm

to gdm
Please update the FAQ. It seems lots has changed in 18 months.

I am trying to order internet from »www.att.com/shop/interne ··· ndex.jsp It shows the new Motorola NVG510 modem in the promotional information. When I continue to order, I am shown that there will be a $149 professional installation fee for even the lowest speed tier. Why? I've read that 12Mbps or less can be a self-install.

Here's a bit about my neighborhood:

I first got DSL about 10 years ago from the CO - about 16,000' away.

A few years later I switched to a RT about 7600' away and was able to get up to 3Mbps.

A few years ago a VRAD was installed about 4100' away. Though I wasn't able to get U-verse services, I now qualified for the 6Mbps DSL service from the RT - I assume due to line conditioning in my area that they did along with the U-verse roll-out.

This year pair bonding in my neighborhood allowed me to get U-verse service - I qualify for up to 18Mbps internet speed (24Mbps is not available).

I'm not interested in U-verse TV nor phone, just internet. So when I try to order internet, am I really just getting internet only from the VRAD - thus requiring professional installation since they probably need to re-wire me to the VRAD?

What are the distance requirements from the RT/IP-DSLAM to be able to get the 12Mbps or 18Mbps speeds?

Would I get the NVG510 modem if I was connected to the RT, the VRAD or either? I hate the 2Wire RG, and can't believe it's still only Wireless G.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO

ILpt4U to GoldenRemote

Premium Member

to GoldenRemote
2210s sync up fine, and 2701s sync up fine if they are upgraded to the 6 series firmware
GoldenRemote
join:2008-02-13
Lisle/IL

GoldenRemote to gdm

to gdm
Nvg510's are the new modem they have now old 2701's 2210's won't even sync up anymore. At least in most locations. As far as pair bonding for for adsl-2 Mr. Anderson is right it is only available where there is FTTN in place already 1 because distance is still an issue with about 5000' +- a couple hundred' and most areas where there is predominantly ipdslam were never "conditioned" for uverse so not only are there limited good pairs to use for service but there are also just limited pairs period in the area with most being used by POTS/DSL customers
StLCardsFan
join:2011-06-06
Lafayette, LA

StLCardsFan to mrexcelion

to mrexcelion
I just finished speaking with an att uverse tech/installer working in the building next to mine...

I asked him about the new hgv510 and he said it seems to sync slower than the 2210-2 ... and he couldn't figure out why... saying it was only 800-900kb slower generally ...it was definitely slower syncing.

Also says he received a document or literature on upcoming bonding for adsl2 and will be rolled out beginning at the end of this year ..and that its sole purpose is to extend the lengths at which they can offer to customers ...not to increase speed for existing customers.
mrexcelion
join:2008-08-06

mrexcelion to sparrowhawk

to sparrowhawk
I'm guessing this is why ATT is now charging $100 to buy the IP-DSLAM modem on their website instead of $75 a few months ago.
sparrowhawk
join:2006-06-23
Los Angeles, CA

sparrowhawk to gdm

to gdm
It seems like this is the modem being sold for IP-DSLAM now. Anybody have experience with this equipment?

ig51x Internet Gateway

The AT&T U-verse Internet gateway is a single, intelligent device that brings together both your U-verse High Speed Internet and U-verse Voice to distribute them throughout your home.
Internet gateway - front

Get connected

The Internet gateway enables wireless networking capabilities throughout your home. It's powerful enough to help eliminate wireless dead spots and, with encryption security, safeguard against outside access of your Internet connection. In addition, four Ethernet ports for wired LAN connections are included along with connections for phones to your U-verse Voice service.

Your gateway will connect to:

Your personal computers via WiFi and Ethernet so you can use AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet service.
Your personal devices such as WiFi cameras, network printers, mass storage devices, and more...
Your phones, faxes for U-verse Voice service

Features:

Router Functionality
Wi-Fi (wireless Internet)
4 Ethernet ports
Analog Telephone Adapter (for U-verse Voice)
Firewall/security
Easy to install and use

Professional Grade Firewall

Defends your home network against common Internet threats such as Distributed Denial of Service attacks. As well, Internet gateway software updates are made automatically.
Internet gateway - rear
U-verse Internet Gateway connections

Phone Line - Supports 2 Voice lines with single port
Wi-Fi
RJ-11 for DSL service

Local Ethernet - RJ-45 for 4 Ethernet ports
Hi Power 802.11g wireless connection;
no external antenna

Installation

The U-verse Internet gateway is designed for self-install of Internet services. With the Internet self install, you save money by completing the simple install yourself.

For a fee, a highly trained AT&T professional will install your Internet gateway and make all the necessary Internet connections. U-verse Voice service requires a technician to install.
privdog
join:2011-09-21
Corpus Christi, TX

privdog to gdm

to gdm
This seems like a good thread to ask my question in. So here it goes, any input would be greatly appreciated.
Okay, I have a field office in the middle of Texas, originally we got regular 'ol DSL. AT&T screwed up and had us on a higher tier than our distance would allow. Over 6k feet, @ 6 down and .5 up I think. They tell me my choices are to down grade, or I could try an IP DLSAM(uverse) connection. Well naturally my connection was already slow and I could really used the extra .5(really .3) upstream increase I decided to try the IP DSLAM. Motorola modem only. My connection seems to much improved over the previous DSL connection. The one major problem I'm having is I can't connect to my network drives on my server in Oklahoma. With the old DSL when it was up and didn't error out too much I could at least connect to my drives briefly. I have them mapped by IP Address, and had put my file server in the DMZ and created a rule to allow all file sharing no matter the credentials with no luck. This is all while being connected directly to the modem, no router involved on one end. Full access to the one on the other though. Any other internet connection i connect to(there are two open wifi connections in the area) I have full access to all my network drives and have no problem authenticating on the domain. My IP of the server i'm connecting to is 192.168.0.2, the Motorola has a factory(seemingly permanent) IP of 192.168.7.254. Which I thought the 7 to be a little strange(non standard) but didn't think would matter. Any thoughts at all? AT&T 360 Business support was absolutely no help.

MrAnderson3
join:2011-05-18
Richardson, TX

MrAnderson3 to gdm

to gdm
im sorry i am just coming back form being off for a few days. Right now pair bonding is only available for certain areas for fiber to the node. other than that i cannot say why it is not.
StLCardsFan
Lafayette, LA

StLCardsFan

ill ask again ..why doesnt att do pair bonding on adsl2? Their competitors are doing it on their networks ... and then their other telco competitors are doing it too..

so why would they not do it?
StLCardsFan

StLCardsFan to gdm

to gdm
why doesnt att offer pair bonding for adsl2?
mrexcelion
join:2008-08-06

mrexcelion to kn2011

to kn2011
@KN: I originally qualified for ATT Traditional DSL 6mb when I signed up for it a year ago. Now that they've transitioned over, I too only see 3mb. I assumed it was because they saw that my attenuation is usually around 48 and SNRs were around 6-9, which is borderline for the 6mb plan, and the service did lose sync in the evenings because of that, so I assume they changed it in their system only offer me 3 now. Could be an automatic thing the system does based on line stats, or maybe they got a tad bit more stringent with requirements for IP-DSLAM.
StLCardsFan
Lafayette, LA

StLCardsFan to kn2011

to kn2011
said by kn2011 :

I current have traditional DSL with 6Mb/768K plan with DSLExtreme. If I move to AT&T, I can only qualify for IP-DSLAM PRO 3.0Mb. Why is this ?

who knows man. Att has very bizarre business models. Personally ..i wouldn't change then.

kn2011
@dslextreme.com

kn2011 to acillatem

Anon

to acillatem
I current have traditional DSL with 6Mb/768K plan with DSLExtreme. If I move to AT&T, I can only qualify for IP-DSLAM PRO 3.0Mb. Why is this ?
acillatem
join:2011-04-21
U.S.A.

acillatem to ILpt4U

to ILpt4U
said by ILpt4U:

said by acillatem:

I've heard from several techs that the 2Wire is a superior piece of equipment too, FWIW.

An example: To qualify for the Max 12 or Max 18 speeds on IPDSLAM, you HAVE to have the Moto 2210. The 2Wire 2701 is not compatible with the faster speeds. Superiority? I'll let each decide on his/her own

Yeah, they did say it's only good up to 6mbps, but much more reliable. Just what I heard.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U to acillatem

Premium Member

to acillatem
said by acillatem:

I've heard from several techs that the 2Wire is a superior piece of equipment too, FWIW.

It is more familiar, as the other U-Verse modems are 2Wires. Just because something is different does not make it inferior, but many techs would feel that way

An example: To qualify for the Max 12 or Max 18 speeds on IPDSLAM, you HAVE to have the Moto 2210. The 2Wire 2701 is not compatible with the faster speeds. Superiority? I'll let each decide on his/her own