Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sparrowhawk

join:2006-06-23
Los Angeles, CA
reply to gdm

Re: IP-DSLAM FAQ

It seems like this is the modem being sold for IP-DSLAM now. Anybody have experience with this equipment?

ig51x Internet Gateway

The AT&T U-verse Internet gateway is a single, intelligent device that brings together both your U-verse High Speed Internet and U-verse Voice to distribute them throughout your home.
Internet gateway - front

Get connected

The Internet gateway enables wireless networking capabilities throughout your home. It's powerful enough to help eliminate wireless dead spots and, with encryption security, safeguard against outside access of your Internet connection. In addition, four Ethernet ports for wired LAN connections are included along with connections for phones to your U-verse Voice service.

Your gateway will connect to:

Your personal computers via WiFi and Ethernet so you can use AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet service.
Your personal devices such as WiFi cameras, network printers, mass storage devices, and more...
Your phones, faxes for U-verse Voice service

Features:

Router Functionality
Wi-Fi (wireless Internet)
4 Ethernet ports
Analog Telephone Adapter (for U-verse Voice)
Firewall/security
Easy to install and use

Professional Grade Firewall

Defends your home network against common Internet threats such as Distributed Denial of Service attacks. As well, Internet gateway software updates are made automatically.
Internet gateway - rear
U-verse Internet Gateway connections

Phone Line - Supports 2 Voice lines with single port
Wi-Fi
RJ-11 for DSL service

Local Ethernet - RJ-45 for 4 Ethernet ports
Hi Power 802.11g wireless connection;
no external antenna

Installation

The U-verse Internet gateway is designed for self-install of Internet services. With the Internet self install, you save money by completing the simple install yourself.

For a fee, a highly trained AT&T professional will install your Internet gateway and make all the necessary Internet connections. U-verse Voice service requires a technician to install.

privdog

join:2011-09-21
Corpus Christi, TX
reply to gdm
This seems like a good thread to ask my question in. So here it goes, any input would be greatly appreciated.
Okay, I have a field office in the middle of Texas, originally we got regular 'ol DSL. AT&T screwed up and had us on a higher tier than our distance would allow. Over 6k feet, @ 6 down and .5 up I think. They tell me my choices are to down grade, or I could try an IP DLSAM(uverse) connection. Well naturally my connection was already slow and I could really used the extra .5(really .3) upstream increase I decided to try the IP DSLAM. Motorola modem only. My connection seems to much improved over the previous DSL connection. The one major problem I'm having is I can't connect to my network drives on my server in Oklahoma. With the old DSL when it was up and didn't error out too much I could at least connect to my drives briefly. I have them mapped by IP Address, and had put my file server in the DMZ and created a rule to allow all file sharing no matter the credentials with no luck. This is all while being connected directly to the modem, no router involved on one end. Full access to the one on the other though. Any other internet connection i connect to(there are two open wifi connections in the area) I have full access to all my network drives and have no problem authenticating on the domain. My IP of the server i'm connecting to is 192.168.0.2, the Motorola has a factory(seemingly permanent) IP of 192.168.7.254. Which I thought the 7 to be a little strange(non standard) but didn't think would matter. Any thoughts at all? AT&T 360 Business support was absolutely no help.

MrAnderson3

join:2011-05-18
Richardson, TX
kudos:9
reply to gdm
im sorry i am just coming back form being off for a few days. Right now pair bonding is only available for certain areas for fiber to the node. other than that i cannot say why it is not.
--
Andy - U-Verse Social Media Support Team T2 uversecare@att.com

StLCardsFan

join:2011-06-06
Lafayette, LA
reply to StLCardsFan
ill ask again ..why doesnt att do pair bonding on adsl2? Their competitors are doing it on their networks ... and then their other telco competitors are doing it too..

so why would they not do it?

StLCardsFan

Lafayette, LA
reply to gdm
why doesnt att offer pair bonding for adsl2?

mrexcelion

join:2008-08-06
reply to kn2011
@KN: I originally qualified for ATT Traditional DSL 6mb when I signed up for it a year ago. Now that they've transitioned over, I too only see 3mb. I assumed it was because they saw that my attenuation is usually around 48 and SNRs were around 6-9, which is borderline for the 6mb plan, and the service did lose sync in the evenings because of that, so I assume they changed it in their system only offer me 3 now. Could be an automatic thing the system does based on line stats, or maybe they got a tad bit more stringent with requirements for IP-DSLAM.

StLCardsFan

Lafayette, LA
Reviews:
·LUS Fiber
reply to kn2011
said by kn2011 :

I current have traditional DSL with 6Mb/768K plan with DSLExtreme. If I move to AT&T, I can only qualify for IP-DSLAM PRO 3.0Mb. Why is this ?

who knows man. Att has very bizarre business models. Personally ..i wouldn't change then.

kn2011

@dslextreme.com
reply to Ukiah Jim
I current have traditional DSL with 6Mb/768K plan with DSLExtreme. If I move to AT&T, I can only qualify for IP-DSLAM PRO 3.0Mb. Why is this ?

Ukiah Jim

join:2011-04-21
Ukiah, CA
reply to ILpt4U
said by ILpt4U:

said by Ukiah Jim:

I've heard from several techs that the 2Wire is a superior piece of equipment too, FWIW.

An example: To qualify for the Max 12 or Max 18 speeds on IPDSLAM, you HAVE to have the Moto 2210. The 2Wire 2701 is not compatible with the faster speeds. Superiority? I'll let each decide on his/her own

Yeah, they did say it's only good up to 6mbps, but much more reliable. Just what I heard.

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Ukiah Jim
said by Ukiah Jim:

I've heard from several techs that the 2Wire is a superior piece of equipment too, FWIW.

It is more familiar, as the other U-Verse modems are 2Wires. Just because something is different does not make it inferior, but many techs would feel that way

An example: To qualify for the Max 12 or Max 18 speeds on IPDSLAM, you HAVE to have the Moto 2210. The 2Wire 2701 is not compatible with the faster speeds. Superiority? I'll let each decide on his/her own

Ukiah Jim

join:2011-04-21
Ukiah, CA
reply to gdm

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL
reply to EastSide
Read the first page of this FAQ

But in short, U-Verse internet has no PPPoE

EastSide

join:2001-07-06
Elgin, IL
reply to ILpt4U
Can't I put the modem in bridge mode and use the PPPoE in the router?

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL
reply to EastSide
For Static IPs on IPDSLAM, only the 2Wire 2701 is allowed. The Moto 2210 has no way to assign out/deal with the Static IPs

EastSide

join:2001-07-06
Elgin, IL
reply to gdm
I have a question about equipment. I am in the process of getting IP-DSLAM HSI installed (there is a problem I am told near the central office and they couldn't finish it today. The tech left the 2Wire gateway, but in the past I have used a modem with my own router (currently a Sonicwall). I have the static package ordered. Can I use the Motorola 2210-02-1ATT with my Sonicwall they way I have previously with ADSL or will their be problems?

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to mrexcelion
said by mrexcelion:

Does it require an active home phone service like traditional DSL?

U-Verse IPDSLAM does not require POTS/Active Phone Service

Then again, neither does traditional ADSL service. I had Dry Loop "normal" ADSL for a couple years before getting U-Verse ADSL2+ IPDSLAM Dry Loop

Paralel

join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US
kudos:4
reply to mrexcelion
No active phone line required.

mrexcelion

1 edit
reply to mrexcelion
Hi, I had one other question regarding this service:

Does it require an active home phone service like traditional DSL?

Edit: Well, I see you're calling yours Dry Loop, which would mean it wouldn't need an active phone service. The one that says available for me is:

"AT&T U-verse Internet Pro - D 3.0"

Is that the Dry Loop service? If all versions of this IP-DSLAM don't require an active phone line, this might be a good question to add to the FAQ for people.

mrexcelion

reply to ILpt4U
Thank you. While I would have expected closer to the advertised rate, that's still a sizable increase

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to mrexcelion
When I had "normal" Dry Loop ADSL Elite, I consistently got about 5.1/5.2 Mbps down. With Dry Loop U-Verse ADSL2+ IPDSLAM Elite, I get a pretty consistent 5.5-5.6 Mbps down.

So there is still some overhead, but it is not as much as the ATM/PPPoE traditional ADSL product

I don't quite understand why users aren't "Over Provisioned" to account for Overhead -- instead of provisioning Elite service right at 6 Mbps -- provision it @ 6.5 Mbps, to allow for the Overhead loss, so the user experience ends up much closer to the consistent advertised speed. Oh well.

mrexcelion

reply to ILpt4U
Hi DSLR, I had a question about IP-DSLAM:

Speed tests - I'm looking to get more out of my slow DSL line, and wanted to see some real speed tests from those with 3mb or 6mb DSL IP-DSLAM. I see that there's no ATM overhead so that must help some. Not sure if there's no PPPOE overhead too. With the 6mb connection, I normally would get around 5.12-5.20, and with 3mb I'd get around 2.58-2.60. Trying to justify the switchover if I could see how much of a speed increase people are getting in the real world.

Thanks a bunch!

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL
reply to MrHappy316
If you can get IPDSLAM ADSL2+ U-Verse, you will keep Fast Path.

If you end up getting FTTN VDSL2 U-Verse, you will lose the Fast Path and be switched to Interleave

MrHappy316
Wish I had my tank
Premium
join:2003-01-02
Monterey, CA
reply to gdm
I currently have Regular DSL with the following stats off my modem:

Downstream Path / Upstream Path
DSL Sync Rate (Kbits/Sec) 8128 / 512
SN Margin (dB) 12.50 / 12.00
Line Attenuation (dB) 20.50 / 13.00
CRC Errors 495 / 2

I am eligible to get i believe the 12 or 18 DSL package that are now available in my area as U-verse has been turned on in my area. I game alot and have great latency right now being on a fast profile. If I upgrade to one of the U-Verse package can I remain on a fast profile or will I be regulated to a interleaved profile. Right now everything works fine and as they say if it isn't broke do not fix it.

StLCardsFan

@sbcglobal.net
reply to ILpt4U
well ... i cant think of the provider ATM ..but they are based in in the burbs there ... interlync i think is the name...they are offering 24mbit adsl via ATT in beta market ..so it is available there in chicagoland... i dunno what the up speeds aer.

18mbit is not gonna get it done ... nor is 1mbit... hell i had 1mbit up in 97.

I suggest to people they start pounding their city councils to build municipal fiber networks and throw att out to the waste side.

Lastly.. yeah i have no idea why any pitcher would pitch to King Albert in extra innings...Cubs are great at making bad decisions though.

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to StLCardsFan
The 24 Mbps Internet is only available via VDSL2 FTTN U-Verse service, for those that live close enough to the VRAD to qualify.

The 18 Mbps Internet is the fastest AT&T is selling via ADSL2+ IPDSLAM U-Verse, for those that live close enough to the CO

I don't understand why, as a visiting team, you would EVER pitch to Albert Pujols in Extra Innings, TWO DAYS IN A ROW?!?!?

StLCardsFan

@sbcglobal.net
reply to ILpt4U
ooop ..gotta get the broooom haha. poor cubs

StLCardsFan

@sbcglobal.net
reply to ILpt4U
I have the black 2210-2-att1 modem and live in a highrise about 2 blocks from the arch, 2 blocks from Busch Stadium, and 2 blocks from the ATT tower (btw cubs lost 2 in a row here haha).

sync rate is 17,500kbs / 1024kbs. Thats generally ballpark of what it says and the tech guys say im about 3900 feet from the co.

St. louis waived most of the right-of-way issues ATT had and was promised fiber to each building (i guess uverse vdsl) and is kinda pissed and researching municipal fiber because of it.

I also know ATT is using 24mbit on the adsl in some markets...just why would they limit it to 1mbit up is beyond me really.

Charter has 60 and 100mbit down and 5-10mbit up in some neighborhoods.

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to StLCardsFan
said by StLCardsFan :

I have 18/1 ipdslam uverse ... and can basically hit the ATT corporate tower here with a rock.

1mbit is shit upload lol. what is the fastest speed on this adsl 2+ or whatever its called? can they provision the 32/5 or whatever to this?

IP-DSLAM U-Verse is ADSL2+ U-Verse; they are the same thing

Which modem do you have?

dustman81

join:2002-05-28
Tallmadge, OH
reply to StLCardsFan
said by StLCardsFan :

I have 18/1 ipdslam uverse ... and can basically hit the ATT corporate tower here with a rock.

1mbit is shit upload lol. what is the fastest speed on this adsl 2+ or whatever its called? can they provision the 32/5 or whatever to this?

1Mb is the fastest upload available to ADSL2+. The 1.5 Mb upload is only available to VDSL customers.

No Uverse customer can get 32/5 for internet. 32/5 is the total bandwidth for internet, TV and phone.

You're on the fastest package available for ADSL2+. VDSL customers can get up 24/3.

StLCardsFan

@sbcglobal.net
reply to ILpt4U