Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ukiah Jim

join:2011-04-21
Ukiah, CA
reply to ILpt4U

Re: IP-DSLAM FAQ

What exactly does this mean? I just got IP-DSLAM, and never heard of this.

bkoester

join:2005-03-16
Chicago, IL
reply to ILpt4U

Does anyone know if Max 12 requires a tech install?

gobaers

join:2011-04-21
San Francisco, CA
reply to gdm

Has anybody been able to go from interleave provisioning to Fast Path? Is it as easy as calling tech support, getting tier 2, and asking for it?

Additionally, would the following numbers be good enough? Generally, what should one look for in signal numbers such as the ones below for it to be good enough for fast path?

Rx Tx
140 Current Rate 5360 765
141 Previous Rate 0 0
142 DSL Max Rate 12688 976
144 Current ATTN DR 6200 1095
145 Current SNRM 3.5 12.4
146 Current LATN 48.9 31.0
147 Current SATN - -
148 Current TP 19.0 12.1

thanks!

Madtown
Premium
join:2008-04-26
Madera, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to gdm

I forgot to mention that I download contents from the Xbox Live Marketplace too. Some of these downloads can be at least 1GB. My Xbox 360 is connected wirelessly to the router. I have a 2wire 2701HG_B. I also get disconnects when playing BFBC2 and it's the only game that it does that to.

seaprobe

join:2006-07-16
Sunnyvale, CA
reply to Madtown

Got it, you are only using wireless to access the internet. In that case, I'd save your money unless you have poor coverage in your house.

I do backups wirelessly within my house, among other file sharing, to a shared network disk, and the "n" speed makes a big difference, so it was worth it for me.

Madtown
Premium
Madera, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to seaprobe

said by seaprobe:

As always, it depends on what you want to do. Wireless "n" will give better range, by and large, so if you have trouble with the signal reaching throughout your house, go for it. If you copy files wirelessly among your computers for streaming video and music or just backups to a file share, it will be way faster. If all you are doing is using the internet, you are wasting your money.

What are you planning to use it for?

I watch youtube videos, upload youtube videos, I watch movies on Netflix on my Xbox 360, and play Xbox Live games along with regular web surfing too.

Lauriel
Premium
join:2003-05-25
Sacramento, CA

1 edit
reply to gdm

I am considering U-Verse, as I am kind of far from my CO (13,300 feet.) I cannot get very much speed on regular ADSL (about 2.5 down.) I am wondering a couple of things:

1. What kind of distance from the origination point (VRAD or CO?) is going to allow me to get the speeds advertised with U-Verse? I'm looking at the 12 down speed.

2. Why is a tech installation required if I go for the 18 or 24 down, but not if I got for the 12 or lower? What is different?

Thanks.

seaprobe

join:2006-07-16
Sunnyvale, CA
reply to Madtown

As always, it depends on what you want to do. Wireless "n" will give better range, by and large, so if you have trouble with the signal reaching throughout your house, go for it. If you copy files wirelessly among your computers for streaming video and music or just backups to a file share, it will be way faster. If all you are doing is using the internet, you are wasting your money.

What are you planning to use it for?

Madtown
Premium
Madera, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to gdm

For those on IP-DSLAM would this work, »www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004PA···i=507846 or be a waste of money to buy?

TKBlack

join:2011-04-07
San Jose, CA
reply to ILpt4U

How to find out how the IPDSLSM is provisioned ?

takahirata9

join:2006-12-06
Duluth, MN
reply to ILpt4U

can you tell me why a tech install is required for max. 18?

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
reply to robertshr

The FAQ needs an update: Max (12 down/1 up) and Max Plus (18 down/1 up) speeds are now available over IPDSLAM ADSL2+ U-Verse, as long as the customer lives close enough to the CO

Max 18 does require a tech install, though

robertshr

@qwest.net
reply to Nana

Currently the only Modem ((Motorola 2210-02-1ATT) is available fore the ATT IPDSLAM the gateway is for customers that are abel to get the whole u-verse package and only want the IPDSLAM Internet.

rstrick
Premium
join:2003-06-02
Springfield, MO
reply to stunod2002

I don't think the Westell will work on IP-DSLAM. It's just another ADSL/ADSL2 modem as far as I can tell.

Nana

@swbell.net
reply to stunod2002

Are you sure this modem will work with this system? This is not typical adsl and as far as I can find this modem does not support IP-DSLAM.

stunod2002

join:2003-11-07
Carol Stream, IL
reply to dragonman300

said by dragonman300:

That Westell A90-610025 modem is used for Verizon dsl. Does this model will work fine with AT&T?

Sorry, mis-typed... It's an F90-610025

dragonman300

join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA
reply to stunod2002

That Westell A90-610025 modem is used for Verizon dsl. Does this model will work fine with AT&T?

stunod2002

join:2003-11-07
Carol Stream, IL
reply to ILpt4U

Q. What equipment is used?
A. There are currently two different provided equipment to choose from: 1. AT&T Gateway (2Wire 2701HGV-B) 2. Modem ((Motorola 2210-02-1ATT)

You forgot the Westell A90-610025
--
Stunod

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
reply to pm_

IPDSLSM U-Verse can be provisioned Fast Path or Interleaved.

Mine is Fast Path

pm_

join:2009-10-11
Aurora, IL
reply to gdm

Could you please update this FAQ to state that IP-DSLAM can actually be provisioned as Fast Path? That's important information for users to have.

My source is ILpt4U here:
»Re: [Speed Problem] Download Slow Between 4:00pm to 1:00am

And no one has stated anything to the contrary.

willzzz

join:2007-05-23
SE MI
reply to gdm

Is AT&T ever going to release the RADIUS GAS authentication details publicly including the certs so I can use a 3rd party ADSL2+ modem with your IP-DSLAM product (and authentication with your upstream 7330 DSLAM/7450 ESS (Ethernet Service Switch)) in the CO? I'm reading ALU docs BTW.

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to DBman190

said by cramer:

they will continue to be served by existing (legacy) DSLAMs. (until they get around to upgrading those too.)

What exactly is the long-term plan for the CO DSLAMs? Are they going to retire the old DSLAMs on a schedule or just let them run until they die?

And at that point will they swing us over to the VDSL VRADs or expand ADSL2+ to overlay with VDSL instead of just offering one or the other?
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

DBman190

join:2002-06-10
New York, NY
reply to gdm

What are the IPDSLAM tiers provisioned at? Is Elite, for instance, provisioned at exactly 6016/768, or is there supposed to be headroom (i.e. 6400ish) to account for overhead and inevitable losses?

ivwshane

join:2010-11-09
reply to ivwshane2

I shall answer my own question.

The modems are indeed different. The one they ended up giving me was a 2701HGV-B. It's the same size as the 2wire dsl modem but it's silver and black and has an extra port for a phone line.

ivwshane2

join:2003-05-11
Dixon, CA
reply to gdm

I ordered uverse Internet only service and was told that my dsl modem would work (2701hg-b) but I've called back a couple of times and I get a different answer everytime:|

Can someone tell me the correct answer? If I can use my existing modem what's the setup process?

raypsi1

join:2001-04-09
Redford, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
reply to gdm

I called the local ATT to upgrade my internet speed, they told me 3 Mbps was all I could get, I said transfer me to U- verse order desk. On U Verse I was looking for the TV deal.

Here in the midwest I could get up to 24Mbps internet I am staying at 3Mbps and will upgrade if that is my option some time in the future.

Another thing is I have to rent the Modem at $3/month. They were nice enough to waive the install charge. I figured I saved about $60, because they slapped me with other charges. The U=Verse 130 channel package and 3Mbps internet and modem first month charge will be $132.31 I was told install date is 11/11 I ordered 10/18.

That's my story and I'ma sticking to it.

WhatNow
Premium
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC
reply to willzzz

The difference between IPDSLAM and Vrad is the cards. The Vrads have Video adsl and the IPDSLAM has just adsl cards that provides a longer distance at lower speeds for just internet and maybe VoIP.

willzzz

SE MI
reply to gdm

BTW gdm, what's the distance limits for ADSL2+? I am little over 19k from the CO but 6682ft. from the VRAD. If they put IP-DSLAM into the VRAD I could get DSL service. 6682ft. is too long for Uverse VDSL2.

willzzz

SE MI

1 edit
reply to gdm

broadbandg, it's on the back-end and what you said is correct. Fiber optic allows them to shorten the loop length. They installed a remote DSLAM in the field to offer you Uverse service. You can have Uverse internet only service up to 24M/3M of your choice at att.com or traditional ADSL2+.
Basically it's this:
CO->Fiber->VRAD(DSLAM)->Copper->Your House.

What you have is FTTN. You won't get FTTH/C like FiOS unless you are in a new-build

You will be getting service to the remote DSLAM in the field. That remote DSLAM is connected to the CO over fiber aggregating all the connections in the neighborhood.

broadbandg

join:2010-10-16
San Francisco, CA

2 edits
reply to gdm

Hi,

When i ordered broadband through ATT, I was told there's no DSL available in my area, and that I had to get Uverse. I ordered. Just day, a service rep says that I've been upgraded to fiber optic per their system. I told them the wire that goes to my house is still the old copperwire. Question is, if one is upgraded to fiber optic (I assume this is IP-DSLAM), does the fiber optic come into the house or is the upgrade in the backend where the fiber runs from the central office to the pole, then a copper wire goes from pole to my house? I looked at my telephone box 5 minutes ago and it's the same old rectangular black wire that has paint over it from at least 5 years back. There's a 90 degree bent from the top, and there's almost a 180 bend on the bottom so I highly doubt it's fiber optic as that spec doesn't allow much "bending" or else light will be lost.

Thank you