Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink

IDTS???

I KNOW I wouldn't. They may well have the pipeline to their off=site servers on a pipe that is wide open - which would explain why you have a whopping 6.6. I say this because I have VOIP with my local ISP. When I was having trouble dialing out, they gave me more bandwidth. I jumped from 1.5 to 6 in 5 minutes. Once I got the new telephony device, the speeds decreased and they were sketchy at best. When I asked the IT guy if there was any better for stability he said there was a surprise in the works for me this Spring. The surprise is I have a constant 7 down all the time and the phone works well. And of course, I would like more bandwidth. The bonus is they never capped and they don't intend to. I have a win-win all the way around. I have the tv, voip and internet for $80 less than I paid for telco, web and satellite.
--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink

1 edit
Much has changed in four years. The new VoIP telephony device I liked so well in the beginning did not work well on 1 Mbps down. On that system I needed 2 Mbps down for a consistently reliable connection and conversation. Plus when the system was down I had no phone.

After a few months I switched back to Century Link. It took a while to convince CL I had a problem with the phone. Techs finally removed all the in-house jacks and replaced it with a whole house filter which effectively separated the phone from the Internet. Now the DSL phone works nearly as well as the old POTS it replaced.

The Internet was flaky for a while when they upgraded. It always happens. It is a shame the ISPs aren't honest about it, but very few are. I finally found a router compatible with the CL system and my Mac; I hope it never stops. The last modem upgrade stabilized the whole system. I may never see FTTN or bonded ADSL, but I can't complain. My 10/1 and phone are consistent and reliable 98% of the time, which is more than I can say about the VoIP system, and it is several dollars cheaper. The bonus is I am locked into a 5 year contract with CL, that I cannot get with the cable company.

There is no competition. Where I live it is a duopoly of phone companies that use the same plant to deliver both services to the same customers. I would be funny if it was not so expensive.

However compared to neighbor counties that have the ISP and phone service from the ISP giants such as Cox we are clear winners. In some cases our CL service is twice as fast at about half the cost.

There is a downside to the Internet and cable in rural America. It is distance and bandwidth. The quality in both degrades the farther one lives from the company equipment. If makes no difference whether it is a plant or a headend. Quality suffers.
--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside